Babies on the Brain

progesterone challenge and problems with having period months after withdrawal period from challenge

Anyone been placed on progesterone for post pill amenorrhea, got a period, and then 3 months later no period again? Iwas wondering how often this occurs.

If this has happened to you, did you have something like pcos?

If you want to know the reason I ask, read further.

I had no period for 4 months after stopping ocps, was placed on progesterone, had a small period, then now nearly 3 month later, no period yet. I never had a work up when I was placed on the progesterone other than a bi manual pelvic exam. My doctor just said call him if I don't get my period after the pills or if I want to have kids. It was sort of odd because I read most people have a few blood tests at the very least when they go in for this type of thing. I didn't even get a pregnancy test preformed-although I did tell them I did one the day before my exam.

This was my first visit with this practice because I switched doctors. I have had several guns or pcps over the past 10 years. The gyn I had prior to this one, I had only gone to twice before. She had advised me to seek work up if I took more than 3 months to get my period back after stopping ocps. She based this on a story I told her that happened 8 years ago-the last time I had gone off ocps.

So here is the back story that I told my previous gyn..... Eight years ago, I moved states and I ran out of ocps. I forgot to establish care when I moved states so it took about three weeks to establish care to get a new rx. I decided to restart ocps when I got my period. Little did I know it would take me nearly 9 months. I never told my new pcp at the time because I just figured it would eventually come. I had irregular periods prior to ocps so I just figured it was taking a long time due to stress of moving, etc. when it came after the near 9 months, I just restarted my ocp immediately and decided I would tell my new doc when I went in for my yearly check in about 3 months. I did just that. The pcp didn't do anything but ask if I was getting my period on my placebo weeks- I said yes so they left it at that.

Anyway, I think this is why my new gyn didn't do any work up- as I naturally got my period after about 8-9 months no period when I was 22 and prior to that my periods were irregular. Anyway, I'm just a bit concerned because he said to come see him when I want to have kids. I wasn't sure how to take this. I have a concern that he is implying that I am going to probably need a little assistance with meds or perhaps other means to get pregnant. I guess he could have meant he wanted to just have a preconception consult or whatever but I don't know. I've never been diagnosed with anything however I've suspected I've had pcos ever since the first time I went off the pill. Anyway, I am wondering how many people have had issues for multiple months even after their progesterone withdrawal challenge. If you did, did you have some other underlying condition? 

Im starting to think I want to stop using the withdrawal method because I am 30 with apparent period problems and my husband has a history of male infertility issues on his side of the family. I just feel like we could be the perfect storm of infertility and the main reason we are not trying right now is just because we want to move to be close to family a few states away. His specialty field is limited so it may be years (if ever) that we could move. Or he would have to slightly change areas- which he could easily do he just likes the area he is in and fears he wouldn't be able to go back in if he left it. So it may be a dumb move to wait just because we are not in our desired place to live. I just don't want to be 4-5 years down the road and thinking well now we have to try even though we haven't moved and then find out I have issues and or he does as I have read typically they won't consider you infertile until a certain amount of months/year trying depending on your age. I don't think they would consider us trying if technically we have been doing withdrawal even though it isn't always that reliable. However, maybe it doesn't matter if I stick with this gyn as he may be saying he won't make me wait. I guess I should call for advice on what he wants me to do next but I'm interested if this happens to others because I can't really find anything on here or elsewhere about people freaking out again a few months later after their progesterone challenge. It seems like it fixes the issue for most or they get a ton of work up. Not no work up, take it, have the period and then wait again for just as long and no period. I mean, my sister had this happen but the progesterone fixed her to a normal cycle again. She had a work up prior to getting meds though. I'll stop rambling. Love to hear your responses to the bolded questions. 

Oh by the way, yes....I do plan on calling my gyn again. I'm just waiting the full 3 months after I got my period on the progesterone withdrawal challenge which will be right after New Years. That will be approximately 7 months after stopping birth control with only one chemically induced period.

Re: progesterone challenge and problems with having period months after withdrawal period from challenge

• Hi. I am not exactly in your situation but I thought I would chime in anyway. You should definitely go back to your doctor or better yet, find a new doctor, and get some basic bloodwork. My doctor checked my FSH, LH, prolactin and thyroids when I went almost 90 days without a period, prior to prescribing Provera. The period you get while you are on hormonal birth control is similar to getting your period after a progesterone challenge, which means you don't know if you would have been ovulating and getting your periods on your own if you hadn't been on BC for the past 8 years. I think it makes a lot of sense to figure that out now even if you are not planning on TCC right away, because the whole process could take a while and it will only delay the start of your TTC journey if you wait to do something about it until you are ready to conceive. Once you get your cycles on track, you can use condoms until you are ready to start TTC or continue using the withdrawal method if you are comfortable with the possibility of getting pregnant ahead of schedule. I wish I had stopped birth control sooner than I did, because between the 90day cycle, and the long and irregular cycles afterwards, I feel like I am off to a very slow start. Temping your basal body temperature is also helpful in learning about your cycles. Good luck!