Breastfeeding

spectra mommas

is the Spectra really better than Medela? I keep hearing this and it makes me want to try it. I get one shot with my insurance and I want to make the right decision since pumps are so expensive and im nervous this kiddo won't latch again (my last didn't latch and I EP'd until I ran dry at 9 months). any insight? TIA!

imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: spectra mommas

• meganraschkemeganraschke member
    edited January 2016
    I bought both the S2 and the PISA for me I get more from the PISA so it's my main pump and my spectra just sits in my closet. The spectra was handy for the night out my husband and I had since its battery powered I could pump in the truck.
    Another thread talked about this though and a different woman was saying she liked her spectra over the PISA so I guess it's to each their own.
    I struggled with low supply and the spectra was making it worse because it wasn't auctioning hard enough, the PISA helped me to get it back up.
    With all that being said do you know how much your insurance will reimburse? Used Medela Symphony's go on eBay for $500-$700. My insurance reimburses up to $400 and I really wish I had known that before even bothering with a different pump. Next time I guess.

Edited: words are hard
  • my insurance only covers up to $300. I'm nervous because while the spectra sounds great and gentle (which is important if I'll be attached to it all day everyday like last time) but I really need it to work well. I also struggled with supply last time, but maybe that varies by pregnancy (?? dumb thought but I really don't know). my daughter was premature so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • my insurance only covers up to $300. I'm nervous because while the spectra sounds great and gentle (which is important if I'll be attached to it all day everyday like last time) but I really need it to work well. I also struggled with supply last time, but maybe that varies by pregnancy (?? dumb thought but I really don't know). my daughter was premature so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

I only have one LO but I've seen other posts on here saying yes, supply can definitely vary by pregnancy.
  • Personally if I hadn't gotten the PISA I would have continued struggling with my supply on the spectra. I also found some non common herbs to take that really boosted my supply. My insurance told me if I had my OB write a letter of medical necessity they would cover the cost of them. It's worth a phone call if your worried about your supply. The herbs were from a company called mother love. You can call them and they will decide which herbs are best for you to take based on your history
  • Here is the thread you want: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/comment/87878949/#Comment_87878949

I prefer the Spectra by far... but after spending a lot of money on pumps and supplies, lately I've been expressing by hand and find that to result in the biggest output!