December 2015 Moms
Options

Paci/Bottle time frame

When is the best time frame to introduce a bottle and paci to an EBF baby? I gave mine nipple confusion with a paci at 2 days old. We just tried again at almost 4 weeks and now he doesn't seem interested. I was considering trying a bottle with breastmilk on occasion to give myself a break, any tips on that? When to introduce, what type (I ordered some medela slow flow bottles), and if yours took one?

Re: Paci/Bottle time frame

• Options
    bbymaelybbymaely member
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for this post I need help to my baby girl is 4 weeks old and she won't take a bottle nor the pacifier with me , than I was reading how someone else should introduce them the bottle and I had my husband give her the bottle with my breastmilk and she did so well with him but I want to know how I can get her to do it with me !
  • Options
    Sorry if I didn't answer your question. I just want help as well!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We introduced a pacifier at 4 days old and a bottle at 3.5 weeks. No nipple confusion and she took both. We use munchkin latch bottles which she seemed to like. DH is the one who fed her with the bottle the first time which seemed to help.
  • Options
    We introduced a bottle at one week old due to my baby being jaundice and needing formula for 24 hrs. It killed me to give him formula that day but I pumped each feeding and he hasn't had formula since. We do give pimped milk once a day though. We use the slow flow nipples for avent naturals. For a pacifier he has taken soothies since the 5 days old. It was a life saver and he now puts himself to sleep. Haven't had any nipple confusion.
  • Options
    My LC and the hospital was set on us not using bottles or pacifiers but we introduced them to her as soon as we got home. I had watched a video saying to start sooner so they learn to like nipples and bottles so they can be taken care of by other people so I decided to listen to that and try. She doesn't always take to the pacifier but we are still trying. It helps with her hiccups sometimes too.

The bottles you just need to try different ones. So far she likes Medela and Mam. She didn't like evenflo, and kept choking on it. We are starting to like the Mam bottle more though cause we think it isn't giving her hiccups as often. So if she doesn't take to the bottle right away, try another brand cause she needs to find what she likes :)

I just try to make sure most of the time she is breastfeeding and maybe only gets a bottle once or twice a day and she's been good with it.
  • Options
    I use the Phillips avent naturals wide mouth with newborn nipple for my pumped milk. My let down is/was fast and so he'd pull back from a good latch to suck like a straw to slow it down (while choking, gasping and sputtering). The straw sucking injured me so I started bottles early because my nipples had to heal. Lactation consultant helped change his latch so he has more control of the speed so we are both doing better. My son has a soothie and wubbnub (soothie with a stuffed toy attached) he likes, I think with my fast letdown he doesn't get to comfort suck so he likes the soothies but he doesn't understand regular pacifiers at all.
  • Options
    My LO was introduced to a paci right away in NICU because he was preemie.  He uses the Philips soothie pacifiers that are green. I also have the MAM ones and he'll take those too. I had the Medela slow flow bottles and my little guy ate from them like a savage.  He was getting a lot of air and sucking them down in 10-15 minutes. I switched to the Dr. Browns Options bottles and used preemie nipples.  So far, between using a nipple shield for feedings, Dr. Brown bottles to supplement times when I don't BF, and pacifiers, DS hasn't had any nipple confusion. 
  • Options
    When we were in the hospital a nurse gave DD a paci at 1 day old, which was confusing bc the LC saw it when she came in and told us not to introduce it until 3 weeks (same time frame for the bottle). After her first doctors appointment at 4 days old we started giving her the paci again bc the pediatrician said it would help to soothe her. She started out with the Soothie brand, but we switched to Mam Starter because she kept knocking the Soothie out of her mouth.

As for bottles, we planned to wait the recomended 3 weeks, but I really needed a break from BF at night so we introduced it at 2 weeks. We use the Comotomo bottles and she took to them right away. Now she'll take a bottle from both DH and I, which is nice.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My guy hits the paci out too or loses it cause he sucks so hard like he's on the breast with his tongue. I wish he'd take it, my boobs are tired from the comfort sucking. I guess I shouldn't have listened to LC about waiting 4 weeks, now I fear he'll never take one. If yours rejects or rejected it at first did you keep trying to hold it in or just keep trying different kinds?
  • Options
    Needed a BF break, so we decided to introduce pack and bottle after 1 week old. He takes a Born Free bottle with variable flow nipple and a soothie pacifier. No nipple confusion thank goodness.
  • Options
    For those of you taking BF breaks, do you pump that morning then have someone else give baby a bottle later? If so, did you notice any change in you supply?
  • Options
    My DS is able to root back to the wubbanub (plush toy attached to the soothie) fairly well. I haven't actually opened his plain soothies he likes the wubbanub so much.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with building supply (I have the opposite problem).

• Options
    I did EBF with DD and am now doing it with DS as well. With DD, we had to try 4 different bottle brands before we found one she would take. We started introducing bottles at 2 weeks because we wanted her to be used to them before I went back to work. We had her on one bottle a day starting at 2 weeks. At first she would only take the bottle from DH but eventually she would take them from me too. We started DS on his first bottle yesterday and it went surprisingly easy. Took my DD about a week to get the hang of a bottle!

As for building supply... Yes, I pump every time they get a bottle feeding. I also introduced a morning pump session about 30-60min before their morning feeding. That helped build my freezer stash. At one point with DD, my supply started to drop. I tried everything but had the most success with oatmeal, the cookies and "power pumping". My LC recommended it... You pump for 10min, rest 10min, pump 10min, etc for an hour. It replicates cluster feeding. I did it once a day for a couple of days and it really helped build my supply.
  • Options
    @lalg28 said:
    My guy hits the paci out too or loses it cause he sucks so hard like he's on the breast with his tongue. I wish he'd take it, my boobs are tired from the comfort sucking. I guess I shouldn't have listened to LC about waiting 4 weeks, now I fear he'll never take one. If yours rejects or rejected it at first did you keep trying to hold it in or just keep trying different kinds?
    Trying different kinds worked with DD. She would only take Soothies. We haven't tried anything but Soothies with DS and he likes them.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    lalg28 said:
    For those of you taking BF breaks, do you pump that morning then have someone else give baby a bottle later? If so, did you notice any change in you supply?
    I am no longer BF, just pumping and supplementing. I am finding that my supply is more plentiful now versus when I'd nurse him and then pump afterwards and I know exactly what DS is getting at each feeding. BF was turning into a major chore and I hate that it came down to that for me. So now I pump 4-5 times a day and get anywhere from 3-5 ounces each time. DS is eating 2oz per feeding so by the end of the day I wind up with enough for 6-10 feedings. I usually am about 1-2 days ahead as far as breastmilk goes for LO because he gets 2-3 bottles of supplementing formula a day.
  • Options
    I found that earlier is better despite being told and also reading that you should wait until breastfeeding is well established at 6 weeks. I introduced the bottle at 1 week due to extremely sore nipples. I started both pumping and supplementing with formula and after about a week started breastfeeding again. Baby latches on well and also takes bottles without a problem. I use Tommee Tippee closer to nature and also Philips Avent Natural bottles all with slow flow nipples. And now at 3 weeks, I started using Mam Start Tender newborn pacifiers. Baby spit them out first two times but now she seems to like it as it helps her fall asleep.
  • Options
    It all takes time. We introduced bottles and a paci when she was 2 weeks old due to PPD. My doctors advised me to let DH do nighttime feeding while I just pump. Thankfully she did not get nipple confusion, and goes back and forth with no problems.
    She prefers me a very her wubbanub though, but I just kept trying and now she'll accept it. (After making a few funny faces)
    It took her over a week to accept a bottle from me. I find it is easier for her to take one if she's not upset and starving. If she is, then nursing is best because she is automatically relaxed.
    Married 05.19.07 | Together since 03.11.00 | Dom Born 02.06.12 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Also, we tried several different bottles. Though DD did fine with all of them, our favorite ones are the Comotomo bottles. The venting on the nipples are fantastic and she doesn't have to release the nipple for air to get in. Even though so many had special venting systems, this one worked the best for DD.
    Married 05.19.07 | Together since 03.11.00 | Dom Born 02.06.12 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We started Odie on a paci when he was three days old. He never had any nipple confusion and then he had his first bottle at around five days. And since then he hasn't skipped a beat no matter what feeding method he is offered. I know that some babies are just genuinely not interested in pacis and won't take them. And I heard about a trick to bottle feeding where you feed on your breast and then break them away as if the latch was wrong and offer the bottle immediately.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I introduced the paci at 2 days to help soothe and the bottles at not quite two weeks to give me a break and to let big sister help feed her. We've had no nipple confusion whatsoever and she will gladly take both bottle or breast. We nurse multiple times through the day and always through the night but when we are out and about it's helpful to have a bottle so I don't have to whip out a boob (cuz I'm just not one to enjoy whipping it out in public if i don't have to). We use the Munchkin Latch bottles and Nuk orthodontic pacis