November 2015 Moms

Best Advise

We all know that being pregnant or having a newborn is like walking around with a sign on your head that says, "please give me all advise possible, even if I look like I don't want it."
There is a lot of bad advise, but what was the best advise you received and who gave it to you?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Best Advise

• My coworker who was a father of toddlers told me that babies want to be warmer than you expect, when you think they are warm enough add one more layer. He was right for both our kids they are calmer and sleep better when super warm. He told me his MIL told him this and he did not believe her until they tried it.
  • So far I think the best advice came from my pedi. She said you will want to give him everything he wants but it's not possible. He needs to learn now that he can't have everything he wants whenever he wants it.

I was at the end of my rope yesterday as LO will not nap and then gets super cranky in the middle of the day then crashed around 4pm. So today we are trying to "force" naps. He shows cues, I swaddle, rock,lay him down and walk away. If he cries and he's been fed and changed I wait until I feel anxious, then add 2 min. Then I leave him down but I can rub his tummy/face until he goes back to sleep. If he won't go back to sleep at 15 min. we get up and play until he has to eat or shows tired cues again.

She thinks he's now used to being held so much from the holidays and my grabby MIL that he is trying to get at much snuggle time as he can. And while I love baby snuggles I don't like the cranky pants that comes with the baby that doesn't nap!

So far we got in a 20 min nap this morning and we are working on our afternoon nap. He's been asleep for 5 min. So we will see how this one goes!
  • Loading the player...
  • Not advice for right now, but when your LO's are toddlers, if they ask for a cuddle, regardless of what you're doing, drop it and give them a cuddle! You'll have a fantastic, close relationship with your kids if you never withhold love and cuddles.

Yes, yes, yes.... let dinner burn, my son want to cuddle!
  • Not advice for right now, but when your LO's are toddlers, if they ask for a cuddle, regardless of what you're doing, drop it and give them a cuddle! You'll have a fantastic, close relationship with your kids if you never withhold love and cuddles.
    Sarcasm? Because I honestly mean it :)
    Just an old bad apple with nowhere to call home :)

Not sarcasm, I honestly have burned dinner because I was cuddling with my toddler. He almost never wants to cuddle anymore so I take it when I can get it.

Not sarcasm, I honestly have burned dinner because I was cuddling with my toddler. He almost never wants to cuddle anymore so I take it when I can get it.

Fair enough, I just wasn't sure :)
    Just an old bad apple with nowhere to call home :)

I still drop everything to cuddle with my 6 yr old when he asks. I've never said no because I know one of these times, will be the last time he asks.
  • My best friend told me that she didn't really sleep until they moved baby out of their bedroom at two months. She was so attuned to her baby that neither of them was sleeping well at all, and she basically had a breakdown because of the lack of sleep until a mom friend invited her over and watched the baby for a few hours while she got solid sleep. I'm a super light sleeper, so we decided to start in the crib with a video monitor on day one, and I am so happy with the decision. Getting out of bed to feed her is a pain, but she is sleeping for long stretches and we both are getting more quality sleep. She might have been a good sleeper anyway, but I feel like having her in the crib from day one helped.

It is amazing how much better sleep i get since putting LO in the crib!

My best advice that I've honestly given myself: make sure you get "you" time. You'll go nuts if you don't get time to yourself.

Pregnancy Ticker

I still drop everything to cuddle with my 6 yr old when he asks. I've never said no because I know one of these times, will be the last time he asks.
    I'm 23 and still cuddle with my mom... haha!