Pregnant after IF

Do you plan to use a pacifier?

HBamama2BHBamama2B member
edited January 2016 in Pregnant after IF
My MIL went on a tangent about pacifiers during our visit bc my BIL gave us one as a baby gift. I didn't realize she felt that strongly about not using them. Or that she felt she could mandate us not using them, lol. As a nanny I've worked for families that did and that did not. As FTM, DH and I haven't really thought about it. I think we'll just end up following AAP guidelines and see if the LO likes it. My MIL will freak, but luckily, it's not her kid. What about y'all? Have you gotten any feedback on your decision to use or not use if you've made one yet?

Do you plan to use a pacifier? 17 votes

Yes
41% 7 votes
No
17% 3 votes
Maybe
41% 7 votes

Re: Do you plan to use a pacifier?

• HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited January 2016
    Ha! Totally meant to post this on my BMB. Glad it landed here and not in IF. That would have been a total fail!
  • It will depend on if he even wants to take it. I have a couple different ones packed in the hospital bag, and don't really plan on going whole-hog promoting their use, but if he takes to using one I'm not going to be majorly upset about it either. I know all the things they say about nipple confusion and what not, but in the end, we all do what we feel is best for us and our littles.

8 Years
    2 Miscarriages
    2 Ectopic Pregnancies
    1 Round of Clomid
    1 Fresh IVF Cycle
    1 Bean and 5 Frosties!
  • Loading the player...
  • With DD we did not use one until she was almost a month old. I was set on BFing and didn't want to disturb the great latch she had and in the new moms support groups I went to at the hospital they suggested doing it that way. My plan is the same with this little guy. I'd rather give a pacifier than become a human pacifier.

ME: 35 DH: 39

Married July 2011

DD Born 8/12

TTC #2 since 11/13

ME: Submucosal Fibroid Surgery Date APRIL 14th 2015 -Left Tube is blocked by Fibroid~Surgeon removed 26 Fibroids from my Ute and Unblocked my Tube

DH:Azoospermia...Thank God we have 12 vials of frozen swimmers

July 15-Check to see if Ute is all healed

IUI #1 8/3/15...BFN

IUI #2 9/5/15...BFP on 9/17/15

Beta #1-344

Beta #2-809

Beta #3 8,390

1st u/s 8/8/15 1 bean HB 135 @ 6w5d

• It's actually nice to have discussions about things that aren't fertility related! And generally, I find this board and all the infertility ones to be way less snarky than BMB!

I think it's one lf those things you have to play by ear. Maybe your kid will love it, maybe he won't. Apart from general security things (e.g. Don't throw you kid on the floor ;) ), everything is a matter of personal choice, and some people take some of these choices way too at heart. As a child psychologist, I can tell you it takes a whole lot more than a pacifier to mess up a kid ;)
  • Yeah- no snark. I think IF makes people recognize that the people on the other end of the board are you know, people. :smiley:
  • We had not planned to use a paci at all for DD1.  But she was born via emergency C-section at 36 weeks because of complications, and she spent her first 48 hours in the NICU, and they gave her a paci. And then I felt like I couldn't take it away, because it clearly gave her great comfort. Around 1 year, we limited it to only in the crib (naptime / bedtime).  DD2 is due in 1 week and I'm hoping she won't want/need a paci, but we will see.  And of course, I can't force DD1 fully off the paci until I see whether DD2 takes one.
    Me: 37 | DH: 38 | Married 9/2012, low AMH, high FSH
    First-ever BFP after IUI #4 (Follistim) - Baby Girl born (36w2d) 8/8/2014!
    TTC #2 since Feb 2015
    BFP 5/4/15
  • With my daughter, I tried to give her a paci for comfort (I work in the NICU @marnief so I'm a big fan of pacis).  However, she is a thumb sucker and wanted NOTHING to do with a paci.  HA!  Oh well.  If this one wants one, I'll give it to him/her.  Working in the NICU, I also know nipple confusion is extremely rare and possibly non-existent in normal term infants.
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • As pp said I would wait and see how your baby acts towards it. We did no paci's in the hospital to promote good early BFing habits. Then at home there were times my nipples were dying and bleeding and I needed a break. Both of my sons had horrible latches and I had to use a nipple shield anyway. But mine used them occasionally for the first month and then we're not interested. It's funny I just saw this post bc last night DH and I were just talking about this and we agreed moderation.

Remind your family gently that you appreciate their tips,but would like to figure out what works for your new family.
    TTC#1: 14 months on our own (did HSG, b/w, SA);
    BFP on Cycle 14--TWINS! Identical twin boys stillborn at 19wks(1/9/10)
    3 break cycles; took clomid 50mg, BFP #2 Beta #1 35, Beta #2 338!!! Owen was born 2/11/11! 
    TTC#2: 4 cycles on clomid: BFNs
    BFP #3: Cycle #5 100mg clomid; beta #1 21; beta #2 6=CP 
    Cycle #6 break cycle TTC no meds=BFN
    Cycle #7: 150 clomid+ovidril+IUI=BFN (switched to RE)
    Cycle #8: follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
    Cycle #9 Forced break due to cyst
    Cycle #10 follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
    Cycle #11 follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
    Cycle#12 Forced break due to cyst, went on BCP; did repeat HSG, Saline U/S
    Cycle #13 IVF: Follistim/Menapur ER 11-30 11 eggs, 5 mature, 4 fertilized and 3dt on 12-3; BFN
    Cycle #14: IVF#2 lupron/follistim/menopur ER 1-22, 19 eggs, 14 fertilized, 5dt on 1-27, BFP!! beta 1: 63, beta 2: 119; EDD 10-15-13; 1 frozen embie
    Miracle Surprise BFP, EDD 10-1-15; saw HB great Betas, 11weeks lost baby MC at home
    Moved forward with FET transfered solo frostie on 6-4-15, beta 1: 315, beta 2: 738, u/s showed one baby on track EDD 2-21-16
  • We will use one if needed, but we will not pop one in his mouth the moment he is born. Also, I've heard (don't know if it's true) that giving them a pacifier too soon after birth could mess with breastfeeding.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Here's the experience from my nieces - our hospital doesn't recommend them for the 1st month, but my sister didn't want to be used as a human paci. Then, the pediatrician recommended using a paci to help with the horrible reflux they both had. Fast forward 2 years and it's difficult to break the 2.5 year old of her paci in prep for preschool. So they have pros and cons. Thumb sucking is harder to break and can make their teeth crooked, so there are drawbacks there as well. And then your kids might just decide to do what they want whether you like it or not.
  • @AdorkablePixie the AAP recommends use from 1 mth to 1 year to lower sids risk. The 1 mth start is to prevent 'nipple confusion' although the data on that is inconclusive as to whether there is a linked impact.