July 2016 Moms
Options

Glucose Test

My doctor is making me take one on Tuesday. I will be 14 weeks on Wednesday. Is it to early to take the test? I thought this was normally done around 24 weeks. She said that she wants me to take it because of my weight.
STM's have any of you gone through this? If so what was it like and if you tested positive how was your day to day life throughout the rest of your pregnancy?
Married: August 2012
TTC #1: July 2015
BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
TTC #2: September 2019

Re: Glucose Test

• Options
    I had one already at 11.5 weeks as I am higher risk for GD. I haven't gotten my results yet, but if I pass I'll still do it again at 20 some weeka.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't have to with my first but I have to this time around. I weigh the exact same. I think the bmi recommendation changed since my last. I am not too worried about it. The test sucks, the glucose drink is gross. I didn't test positive last time so I don't know what GD entails.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I suggest you have the drink chilled. Some people don't find it to be that bad. I personally think it tastes like orange crush. Although, I now never want to drink another orange crush.
  • Options
    I am taking it Tuesday as well, also 14 weeks. Did the dr give you the drink in advance so that you can just show up an hour after drinking it? My dr didn't. I have to drink it there then wait. From what I have read in other months I find it interesting how different the directions can be based on the dr. Some Drs have you fast, whereas my dr said to eat a regular meal (low in sugar) one to two hours before the test.

From friends I have been told that GD can be very individualized and it could be dietary changes up to being insulin dependent.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for responding. @mckcak23 my doctor did not give me the drink before hand. She just told me to eat breakfast as normal and come in to take the drink sometime that morning so I was going to go first thing in the morning. I have read that most doctors have you fast for three hour test if you have to take that one.

• Options
    I did it at the normal time, but I failed the first one by a few points, so I had to do the 3-hour, which I passed.  Honestly, it gave me a terrible headache and made me feel like junk the rest of the work day. :(
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • Options
    I did my hour (and failed) at my very first appointment. I was like six or seven weeks. I took my three hour two weeks later and passed. It wasn't so bad. I took a book.
  • Options
    I have to take it early this go around because I had GD with my last pregnancy.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    Ugh this reminds me, I have to do mine tomorrow. Boooo! And I am drinking it before my ultrasound so I am sure Tina is going to be going nuts!
  • Options
    Taymiller said:

Ugh this reminds me, I have to do mine tomorrow. Boooo! And I am drinking it before my ultrasound so I am sure Tina is going to be going nuts!

Tina?
  • Options
    When are these usually scheduled? My ob hasn't brought it up yet...
  • Options
    I failed the one and three hour test last time, so the doctor put me on a 2000 calorie diet for the rest of the pregnancy. I also had to test my glucose at least once a day.
    It wasn't horrible, I just had to keep a food diary to keep track of calories.

So there's this boy. He kinda stole my heart. He calls me "Mom"

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Voted "Mom of the Year" 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    My first pregnancy I failed the one hour so bad they didn't haven me do the 3 hour. I had to test my sugar 5x a day and ended up on glyburide at 36 weeks. This pregnancy they had be test at 11 weeks and it came in high, so I go for the 3 hour on Friday. I'm on the thinner side and no risk factors for it, just me I guess. Yeah it sucks, you have to be super careful of what you eat. But it's manageable.
  • Options

Taymiller said:

Tina?
    Haha that is what we named the bean. Why? I have no clue.
  • Options

When are these usually scheduled? My ob hasn't brought it up yet...

Unless you are at a higher risk for it, it's usually done between 25-28wks.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    My first two pregnancies I failed the 1hr pretty bad but went on to pass the three hour. My third one skipped the 1hr and went straight to the 3hr and failed. My endocrinologist was pretty strict. I had to keep a food log and test sugars before and after each meal. No fun but doable. I had to reschedule my OB appt twice because of super sick kiddos so I'm taking the GTT a little later than my OB originally wanted. I go in on the 20th. Not looking forward to it and hoping I actually pass but it could be worse if I fail. I didn't gain as much weight last pregnancy and I was lucky enough to control it with diet alone.

Good luck ladies!!!
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    So I'm at the doctors office and I just got done drinking the juice. It was not bad. They gave me the orange flavor, it was about ten ounces. It did leave a bad taste in mouth though. So now I sit here and wait for an hour and I cannot leave the building or eat anything but I can drink water.

• Options
    I had GD with my last pregnancy. I had to keep a food log, seriously track my crabs (at least there is an app for that!), test my sugar 4 times a day  and I wound up on insulin 4 times a day. For me my after meals were fine but my fasting sugar was insane. It was what it was. This time I had the glucose test before I was pregnant so we had a baseline (I did IVF) and they have been tracking my A1C. Right now my A1C is lower than pre-pregnancy but that is probably due to the fact that I have been slowly moving to the GD diet already so it isn't such a shock. If you do have GD - there will be much more monitoring of you and the baby (more ultrasounds!) so it wasn't all bad.

GD can be hard if you have it, but on the plus side I only gained 20 pounds with my first pregnancy.
    babysizer.com pregnancy ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I had a surprise 1 hour GTT yesterday. Waiting the results.
  • Options
    @PugsandKisses did they say how long it would take to get the results back?

• Options
    @PugsandKisses did they say how long it would take to get the results back?
    I was honestly surprised it was not back yesterday. I was the 2nd appt of the day, and they walk over labs twice a day (lunch and closing) to the hospital. Which is 1000 feet. My system has a online patient portal, so once the Provider reviews and releases it, I can view it. Due to my insurance, my system (aka hospital) has to process all labs, unless they are weird send out ones (like genetic testing).

In my old OB, her office was not walking distance from the hospital, nor was there an online system them. So the labs were picked up at closing time, and processed that night. The results were then releases to her the next day, and she would review them in between patients and what not. Sometimes, I would hear about it the next day, or maybe the day after. Other times, depending on the lab, I would not hear about it till my next appointment.

If it has been a few days, give them a call. Also, no news tends to be good news in the medicine world. If it was 'bad', they tend to jump on that right away and call for either a treatment plan or more appts.
  • Options
    I asked and they said I should get the results back within 24 hours

• Options
    "Barely passed" the 1hr and ultimately the 3hrs TWICE with my first pregnancy. Took a 1hr at 11ish weeks and passed no problem, and will need to retest at 20+ weeks. 

I had to fast for the 3hrs, but not the 1hr. This time around, I ate a high protein breakfast before heading out for the test. 

And they test me early because a) I'm obese and b) my mom was diabetic. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Me: 34 / DH: 35
    Married: Halloween 2010
    DS: February 2014
  • Options
    Sorry for what might be a stupid question but what puts someone at risk for GD? My doc hasn't mentioned it or brought up a test or anything and I'm just curious what might alert them?
  • Options
    I don't think that is a stupid question. I got my done because of my weight. But I think that GD can affect anyone.

• Options
    rakel88 said:
    Sorry for what might be a stupid question but what puts someone at risk for GD? My doc hasn't mentioned it or brought up a test or anything and I'm just curious what might alert them?
    I am considered "high risk" for GD because of my family history. My mom's side is hispanic and even though they're all within healthy weight range, my great grandmother died from complications from type 2 diabetes, my grandmother has type 2 diabetes, and my mom is suffering from unmanageable type 2 diabetes as well as pancreatic cancer. The midwife said ordinarily BMI would be the main risk factor considered, but with my history having a healthy BMI doesn't necessarily mean anything. I did my first 1 hour yesterday. At the birthing center I'm using they make you drink 2 organic grape juice boxes (50g sugar) for the test, but it's the same blood work and urine sample as anywhere else.
  • Options
    @BeachTigress @noelietrex thanks! I have an appointment tomorrow so I'll probably ask my doc then, though I don't think I have any high risk indicators.
  • Options
    I posted about this a few weeks ago. My office tried to get me to take the glucose test early as well due to my weight. I refused. I was the same weight with both my prior pregnancies and had normal weight babies each time and passed the glucose test when give at the usual 24-26 weeks. Well, technically, with my first I failed the 1 hour and had to take the 3, but passed that and with my 2nd, I passed the 1 hour easily. So being overweight (technically obese) wasn't a reason enough for me to test early this time.

Interestingly enough (and totally anecdotal of course), almost all of my mom friends who have been diagnosed with GD have been of normal weight and no where close to the overweight or obese category.
    imageimage

image"AlternaTickers">image
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I got my test results back and I am well within the normal range! :) But she said that I will have to test again in a few months.