High-Risk Pregnancy

bed rest due to bleeding placenta

jeavesjeaves member
edited December 2015 in High-Risk Pregnancy
So I'm 19 weeks pregnant and put on bed rest due to a severe hemorrhage in my placenta that is still bleeding and a large hematoma in my uterus because of it. So now I have too much time to think! And now I'm just laying here hoping and praying to get far enough along to get a big baby bump and so that baby has the best possible chance! But then at at the same time I'm afraid to get any bigger because I don't want to like tear my placenta anymore! We are taking a big risk continuing with the pregnancy but I just can't imagine not trying. I started bleeding at the beginning of November so I've had this for a while now and I believe I can make it a few more weeks at the very least. Sighhh so many conflicting feelings it's all very confusing. :/ I just want to make it as far as possible.

Re: bed rest due to bleeding placenta

• I am so sorry for what you are currently going through and for the fear that I am sure you are feeling-- I cannot imagine. I do not have experience with your specific situation, but I DO know all too well how best rest can give you too much time to think and stress. My advice would be to set small goals for yourself and create countdowns (to each doc appt, each new week of pregnancy, each holiday, whatever else you can use as a milestone) and take them one at a time. It is great how far you have come already, and taking baby steps from here on out will help the time go by! Please keep us updated as you go along, I wish you many more weeks of pregnancy!
  • I am so sorry you are going through this tough time! Stay strong! You are an inspiration to many in your situation!
  • Loading the player...
  • I started bleeding at 16 weeks and passed blood clots the size of my fist and was hospitalized for 4 days and on bed treat for 7 weeks. I had a hematoma under my placenta that caused the corner to come away at the corner.

I am now 37weeks pregnant and have a big healthy looking baby looking to make his arrival any day now.

It is the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced and being told by doctors my chances were 50/50 was just awful.

Some suggestions- Don't read too much and be careful to avoid too many forums which state the worse. Stick to asking your doctors as your situation is unique.

I found the bed rest hard but worth it. Moving can disturb the placenta, so really try and stay put as long as your docs say.

I used arnica and found it helped with the bleeding may be worth considering and talking through with someone. Also eat really well and drink loads f water. It helps with healing.

Talk to your baby- everyday and try and use your time to do the little things that you wouldn't usually be able to.

As you grow then the placenta can reattach and it moves so can move away from the bleed. Mine is nowhere near where it started out.

Wish you all the best. Keep hopeful always and while this will be just horrible time hold one to the fact you have your baby in you right now and focus on that.
  • Praying for all to go well!
  • I am praying for you too and sending you big hugs!