April 2016 Moms

Would you go ice skating?

edited January 2016 in April 2016 Moms
My DD went ice skating for the first time this past weekend with my family, and she loved it. I know she would enjoy going again, but I'm not sure I can/should be the one out there holding her hand on the ice. Would you ice skate while pregnant?
kids with flags

Would you go ice skating? 119 votes

Never under any circumstances -- the risk of falling is too high.
53% 64 votes
Maybe if ... (add your conditions in the comments).
10% 12 votes
Yes.
15% 18 votes
I'd skate and do tricks.
0% 0 votes
I don't ice skate even when not pregnant.
21% 25 votes
Special Snowflake
0% 0 votes

Re: Would you go ice skating?

• Maybe if.. it was something I had been doing regularly prior to pregnancy. This time around though it's been several years so I probably wouldn't.
  • I say no... I regularly ice skated before pregnancy and am fairly good at it. Even falls pre pregnancy hurt like a b**** I wouldn't do it while pregnant.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would say no unless it is at a place where no strangers are skating and you know how to skate already. I wanted to go this year and decided not to, but not because I think I would fall but out of worry that some idiot skating too quickly and recklessly would crash into me. It's a shame though because ice skating is really fun.
  • edited January 2016

I would say no unless it is at a place where no strangers are skating and you know how to skate already. I wanted to go this year and decided not to, but not because I think I would fall but out of worry that some idiot skating too quickly and recklessly would crash into me. It's a shame though because ice skating is really fun.

This is an excellent point. I hadn't even considered the other people who might be there/be reckless/endanger us even if I was just ambling along with my preschooler.
    kids with flags
  • brenlo42 said:
    I would say no unless it is at a place where no strangers are skating and you know how to skate already. I wanted to go this year and decided not to, but not because I think I would fall but out of worry that some idiot skating too quickly and recklessly would crash into me. It's a shame though because ice skating is really fun.
    This is an excellent point. I hadn't even considered the other people who might be there/be reckless/endanger us even if I was just ambling along with my preschooler.
    I don't know how common collisions are but depending on how crowded the ice is and if there are people showing off or being foolish I could see it happening. :(
  • If it was an activity I did every week and felt comfortable. Even then, you can't control others at free skate and your center of balance is completely off when pregnant, especially at the stage we're at and will continue until the end of pregnancy. I let DH go on the ice with DS!
  • Maybe if I was great at it, and I knew I could trust myself not to fall. I'd also need to know the local ice rink well enough to know what days are less crowded, so I could avoid getting bumped into.

As it stands, I haven't been since college and would probably die. So no way ;)
  • Maybe if... I was a skilled skater, and it was something I did frequently.
    Personally, the horseback riding/scuba diving/balancing on anything ended when I got pregnant.. Not worth the risk to me.
  • I would probably fall at least once, and the fall is likely to be forward (I.e.: on my belly), so I wouldn't do it at all.
  • I actually did ice skate a couple months back for a yearly special occasion thing. I'm not the greatest skater, though I can usually stay upright pretty reliably. I was glad I kept our tradition, but I was also hugely relieved when I finally got off the ice, and I wouldn't do it again. It was much tougher than usual to keep my balance because of my new shape, and I spent the whole time paranoid about falling. Not worth it, honestly.
  • We have a backyard rink, so I did go the other day for our "season opener". Skating is a regular activity for me in winter. Both of my girls are learning how to skate this year, so I wanted to at least be out there with them while my husband was giving them lessons. My feet were pretty sore, so I didn't last long! I use extra caution to avoid falls (not so many spins etc.). It's all about your comfort level.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Only if I was good at it and already did it on a regular basis. In your case, probably not. (Idk how old your DD is, but I can imagine trying to hold our 6-year-old's hand and having that alone be a disaster!)
  • Another vote for, only if I was very experienced and had been doing it regularly before and during pregnancy. I haven't been since I was in jr high, though, so absolutely not.
  • Maybe if I was a professional skater and I could ice skate in my sleep - even then I wouldn't be doing any Triple Salchows or any other moves for that matter. I'd be a grandma about it and maybe even have a ice skating walker/trainer. But even if I wasn't pregnant, I wouldn't ice skate. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Even if I didn't have back problems and major fatigue which rules out most exercise (and ice skating is an 'active' activity - not whilst pregnant - risk of falls and crashes into barrier/other people, other people jostling and elbowing you etc.
  • I would skip it. I would definitely fall and it's just not worth the risk!

• I went about a month ago with my 2 daughters. I am not very good, but can stay upright. it was a lot of fun but my feet hurt worse this time around.
  • I'm not as familiar being from Miami (we have one rink here and it's pretty ghetto). Would they allow you to walk on the ice in shoes, to accompany your daughter? Would that be a safe option?

Lol please don't kill me if that's a stupid question. I legitimately have no experience in this field.
  • Maybe if I was good at it and it was something I did on a regular basis

Me- 25,DH-28

Anniversary

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I'm not as familiar being from Miami (we have one rink here and it's pretty ghetto). Would they allow you to walk on the ice in shoes, to accompany your daughter? Would that be a safe option?

Lol please don't kill me if that's a stupid question. I legitimately have no experience in this field.

The place we went last weekend specifically said everyone had to wear skates. I'm assuming that's standard but we only go once or twice a year and I have never considered not skating before.
    kids with flags
  • I watched everyone ice skate a few weeks ago. Typically I'm decent (no triple toe loops or anything just skating). But a. My balance is off and b. it would be my luck that I would have broken something since I couldn't get X-rays
  • I ice skated in november, 20 weeks. Always loved to go skating, and my brother went with me to make sure I didn't fall. But I only lasted about 15 min, out of breath fast! Right now I really couldnt, just standing for too long will make my feet swell! :/
  • RoseShadow873RoseShadow873 member
    edited January 2016
    I'm not as familiar being from Miami (we have one rink here and it's pretty ghetto). Would they allow you to walk on the ice in shoes, to accompany your daughter? Would that be a safe option? Lol please don't kill me if that's a stupid question. I legitimately have no experience in this field.
    Ice is still slippery in shoes. Maybe if she wore crampons.
  • My husband and I actually discussed this the other day but his scared somebody pushes me
  • Funny, I just had my 25 week appointment and my doctor specifically said no ice skating. He said if I fall in any direction (on belly or not) I have to come in for an ultrasound. Babies can survive that kind of impact, but he said placentas can't. It can get detached (very very big deal, as in you have to have the baby ASAP) from even a backwards fall on your butt. All this goes for non-ice skating falls, too, like slipping on ice outside your front door.

So be careful, everyone! Not worth the risk!
  • I wouldn't, only because no matter how steady you feel, you can't trust that other people won't crash into you. Like @sareli87 said, it's very dangerous to risk harming the placenta in a fall.

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• I'm going this weekend instead of skiing. I'm so excited to get outside in the cold!
  • I worked at an ice skating rink for ten years. I did see some pregnant women skate but we didn't recommend it. Any pregnant employees were moved to other duties that did not involve going on the ice in skates. You can also look into what we called "spikeys." They are rubber cleats that fit over tennis shoes and offer grip on the ice - I believe Target carries them online. However, even if you are careful, others around you may fall and slide into you which could be dangerous. Hope this helps!