March 2016 Moms

Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

Re: Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

• I'm always a bit twitchy before the first round of shots. But I baby wear and breastfeed, and I guess that's about all you can do. I'm kind of the polar opposite once they're mobile, though. My germaphobia only applies to newborns, I guess.

I'm still not freaking out yet, but I think that's because I'm so busy all the time and it's still feeling very surreal to me too.
  • So I could probably look this up just as easy, but I'm feeling really stupid. I just got a hand-me-down carseat and I need to get it inspected to see if it is up-to-date with the laws. How do I go about doing that?
  • Loading the player...
  • Fire station. Make sure it's not expired and do you know it's history like if it's been in a wreck.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• It will be dated, like an imprint on the side or back, normally sort of hard to find. so unless you can google and find a recall that would be your best bet. Any second hand car seat is risking it being in an accident in its past, there's no way to rule anything out unless it comes from a source you choose to trust.
  • Hmmm, maybe I'm thinking about it wrong but I'm not too afraid of germs when baby is a newborn. I'm obviously scared of the ones that could cause severe illness like the flu, pertussis, pox and measles but other than that I'm ok. I know baby won't have a strong immune system but it should have remnants of my immunity in its system. I'm more scared of over protecting baby to the point where he/she doesn't develop its own immune system while it has my antibodies as a backup (antibodies transferred over in utero or breastmilk).

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • @Bubbles3592 I agree with PPs, you can find expiration on the seat, but if you don't know the car seats history then I wouldn't use it.  I got a car seat from my cousin, but know it hasn't been in any accidents and expires in 2018.  The reason they have expirations is because a lot of car seats and bases sit in the car that heats to well over 100 degrees and also gets to temperatures of -20s.  The plastic in the seats can't be dependable under the conditions, I don't think they could test for how it was treated.  If that makes sense.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • At what point should I start washing clothes and bedding? I feel like I should be making sure these things are clean and ready since I'll be 30 weeks tomorrow, but I don't want everything to get dusty after I wash it either.
  • I can take my glucose test at any time, I want to get it before the first because we are switching over to crappier insurance that has a deductible.  So I called the blood lab near me and they said they only need to do one draw, but I'm confused because I thought they needed two, one for a baseline and one for the actual test results. 

Did any of you only have 1 draw?
  • I can take my glucose test at any time, I want to get it before the first because we are switching over to crappier insurance that has a deductible.  So I called the blood lab near me and they said they only need to do one draw, but I'm confused because I thought they needed two,
    one for a baseline and one for the actual test results. 

Did any of you
    only have 1 draw?

Both pregnancies I've only had 1 blood draw. I think you only get more than 1 draw for the 3 hr test.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I only had one draw as well.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• katy0990katy0990 member
    edited December 2015
    I only had 1 draw, but I only had to do the 1 hour test. I didn't need an appointment and I was only at the lab for like 10 minutes.
  • Thank you @yodapup@flowerpower5838 and @katy0990Follow up question, Did they have the glucola drink right at the lab for you?  My doctor didn't give it to me ahead of time, so I'll need to be there for the whole hour.
  • My doctor gave the drink to me the previous appointment so I'm not sure exactly what the lab will have you do.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• My doctor gave it to me at my 25 week appointment. He told me to drink it and arrive at the lab 45-50 min afterwards.
  • My doc had it for me at the lab. It was refrigerated too. Thank goodness! But also only one blood draw.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • katy0990 said:

At what point should I start washing clothes and bedding? I feel like I should be making sure these things are clean and ready since I'll be 30 weeks tomorrow, but I don't want everything to get dusty after I wash it either.

I'll also be 30 weeks tomorrow. I like to have things done ahead of time, so my goal is to have everything ready (like clothes washed, bed ready, bag packed) by the end of January. I'd rather have to wash it again if I think I need to at the beginning of March than not be ready

• What part of the baby's body do you think I'm feeling when he gets the hiccups? He's had them twice in the past few hours in the exact same spot, so I'm trying to figure out his position. Do you think I feel his back/chest/torso bumping up and down? Or is it his head?
    Married 7.29.05 :: DD1 5.11.10 :: DD2 1.23.13 :: Baby Boy due 3.13.16!

March 2016 January Siggy: Pregnant Lady Problems
  • @mrspepper05 I have no idea how people know which way their baby is facing. I never know whether I'm being punched or kicked.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • STM+ how did y'all track your contractions? I saw someone mention an app. Did you set a timer between or just watch the clock or what?
  • STM+ how did y'all track your contractions? I saw someone mention an app. Did you set a timer between or just watch the clock or what?

I used an app. I don't even remember which one, but I'm sure they're all about the same. I used it until my husband got home, then put him in charge of it. Added bonus is that he feels useful and it gives him something to do!

An app but don't remember which one. You hit a button when one starts ans another when it stops. It keeps track of everything for you
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Is anyone else experiencing brief bouts of extreme pelvic pressure? I could kick myself because I didn't tell anyone yesterday at my doctor's office...well, didn't get a CHANCE to.  Both my doctor and nurse are on vacation so I saw a different nurse (the same one I saw the last time my regular nurse was out).  She literally pulled me into the room, did my shot, and said "have a nice day".  No blood pressure, no weight, no Doppler, no pee cup.  I was in there a total of maybe 1 minute.  I even almost got run over by another doctor who was just coming out of another room with her head down and not paying attention to anything.

Anyway, I have begun to notice when I sit for long periods of time then get up, I feel pelvic pressure, that kinda hurts but I can walk it off- it happened this morning after a 1/2 hour trip to work.  I got out of the car and felt it pretty good, and by time I got to the building it was gone.   Now sometime last weekend, I got a roundhouse kick to the bladder that made me jump out of bed thinking I was going to pee myself.  I ran to the bathroom but when I tried to sit I couldn't- it felt like the baby was going to fall out of my vagina and I was only 1/3 of the way down.  I stood back up and crossed my legs (again so I wouldn't pee), and after 5 seconds it was gone so I was able to sit down and go. 

Anyone else having issues like this?  And I PROMISE when I get to my doctor next Tuesday I'm telling him.  I tell him EVERYTHING.

February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • charley15 said:

Is anyone else experiencing brief bouts of extreme pelvic pressure? I could kick myself because I didn't tell anyone yesterday at my doctor's office...well, didn't get a CHANCE to.  Both my doctor and nurse are on vacation so I saw a different nurse (the same one I saw the last time my regular nurse was out).  She literally pulled me into the room, did my shot, and said "have a nice day".  No blood pressure, no weight, no Doppler, no pee cup.  I was in there a total of maybe 1 minute.  I even almost got run over by another doctor who was just coming out of another room with her head down and not paying attention to anything.

Anyway, I have begun to notice when I sit for long periods of time then get up, I feel pelvic pressure, that kinda hurts but I can walk it off- it happened this morning after a 1/2 hour trip to work.  I got out of the car and felt it pretty good, and by time I got to the building it was gone.   Now sometime last weekend, I got a roundhouse kick to the bladder that made me jump out of bed thinking I was going to pee myself.  I ran to the bathroom but when I tried to sit I couldn't- it felt like the baby was going to fall out of my vagina and I was only 1/3 of the way down.  I stood back up and crossed my legs (again so I wouldn't pee), and after 5 seconds it was gone so I was able to sit down and go. 

Anyone else having issues like this?  And I PROMISE when I get to my doctor next Tuesday I'm telling him.  I tell him EVERYTHING.

I have felt this when baby was sitting really low....its very uncomfortable....thankfully she has moved up again. The pianful/uncomfortable feeling when you are trying to sit (or pee) is the worst....

January siggy challenge - Pregnant lady problems

• @mrspepper05 I have no idea how people know which way their baby is facing. I never know whether I'm being punched or kicked.

Not sure about the hiccups. I can tell how my baby is hanging out because his kicks are much stronger than his punches. He seems to have the powerful legs of his parents. Lol Midwife confirmed yesterday while doing my measurements that he likes to lay across my belly, using my pelvis as a cradle. Doppler has to go on the left side to find him because that's how he's comfortable, apparently.

The app I used was called iBirth. It was free and got the job done :) You just hit start when a contraction started, and stop when it ended- the app calculated the time between contractions for you. Super easy.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Bump...this thread is too good to let it fall to the second page....

January siggy challenge - Pregnant lady problems

• I actually thought of one earlier...
    Kind of tmi, not sure how this question is going to go over but I honestly don't know and am nervous to google (don't wanna see pics...), but how do you know when you pass your mucous plug and that it's not just discharge?
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• skruhminskruhmin member
    edited January 2016
    CecilB93 said:
    I actually thought of one earlier... Kind of tmi, not sure how this question is going to go over but I honestly don't know and am nervous to google (don't wanna see pics...), but how do you know when you pass your mucous plug and that it's not just discharge?
    Ummmmm you know.  And you can lose it in pieces - it's really gross actually.  It kind of reminds me of what a slug looks like if that helps - and it can be big or you can lose it in pieces and it can be small.  It has a tendency to regenerate so you may lose it a couple of times - so don't freak out if you lose it.  FYI your bloody show is like this except magnified - like definitely blood tinged.  When that happens labor is happening soon (unless it happens while you are in labor).
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• CecilB93 said:
    I actually thought of one earlier... Kind of tmi, not sure how this question is going to go over but I honestly don't know and am nervous to google (don't wanna see pics...), but how do you know when you pass your mucous plug and that it's not just discharge?

stuck in text box:  mine has been much like dark amber rubber cement in color and texture both times.  And it can come in pieces (tiny to one very noticeable globule).  My bloody show first time was just a smear with my first pregnancy.
  • skruhmin said:
    CecilB93 said:
    Ummmmm you know.  And you can lose it in pieces - it's really gross actually.  It kind of reminds me of what a slug looks like if that helps - and it can be big or you can lose it in pieces and it can be small.  It has a tendency to regenerate so you may lose it a couple of times - so don't freak out if you lose it.  FYI your bloody show is like this except magnified - like definitely blood tinged.  When that happens labor is happening soon (unless it happens while you are in labor).

• skruhmin said:
    CecilB93 said:

Pretty much this:

DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• I never went into labor until being induced with pitocin and 41 weeks but I never "lost my plug" that I was aware of. I also had no blood or anything at all. They broke my water in hospital and cleaned that up (it came out over about 10 minutes) and that was it until I started pushing and then who knows!
  • If you didn't go into labor on your own then you wouldn't lose your plug, because it happens with dilation. So it probably came out after you had been on pitocin for some time, possibly it was removed around the time they broke your water. But I'm pretty sure that the mucus plug is something every pregnant woman has, it's what helps protect the intrauterine environment from outside pathogens.

Man, pregnancy and childbirth are so disgusting. Come to think of it, parenting can be pretty darn disgusting. I guess it goes with the territory.
  • I never noticed it either. I guess it maybe during labor so I didn't notice? Or in pieces or something? So it seems like there's a pretty big range

• If you keep the lights off for middle of the night bathroom runs, you could have lost your plug overnight too.  You don't feel anything with it, its just kind of "hello, I'm your plug and I'm disgusting"
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• @skruhmin I'm snorting over your plug introduction :)
  • smushi said:
    @skruhmin I'm snorting over your plug introduction :)
    Would "hello, I'm your resident uterine slug" be any better?  Pregnancy is disgusting!!
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Yeah, I never noticed mine either and didn't have any bloody show to tell about. I wasn't induced and my water broke in the morning while I laid in bed. 
    imageimage

• Another check in for someone who went into labor naturally but never lost the plug or had a bloody show at home. I know it happened sometime between 4 cms and birth.
  • skruhmin said:
    smushi said:
    @skruhmin I'm snorting over your plug introduction :)
    Would "hello, I'm your resident uterine slug" be any better?  Pregnancy is disgusting!!

It was all just very friendly and reminiscent of the talking cartoon DNA from Jurassic Park :)