Baby Showers

planning a baby shower ... questions.

I am 13 weeks with my first .
When is the best time to start planning ??? Considering risks of miscarriage.
When should the place be booked?
When should invites go out ?
Who should be invited? ( should i invite people that i didnt have at our wedding ? ) ...any suggestions on places to register that arent expensive ??

Re: planning a baby shower ... questions.

• If you are planning your own shower, this post won't go over well. 
  • You should not be planning your own shower. A shower is a gift to the MTB from a close friend or relative.
    It doesn't take long to throw a shower together, but if you have a specific place in mind, you should book it as soon as possible when the MTB is 6-7 months pregnant. Invites should go out 3-4 weeks in advance of the shower. You should invite people you and the baby's father are close to. I don't know what's around you, but Target, Babies R Us, and Amazon are good. 

For real though, it's tacky as hell to plan your own shower, so just don't. Someone will probably offer to throw one for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • I never said i was planning my own .... however no one has said theyd plan the whole thing but said i should have one.... and why can you plan your own events like a wedding but its forbidden to plan your own baby shower ???
  • You shouldn't be planning... Someone should be planning it for you. As for time frame, I'm 22 weeks along, my shower is feb 27 and plans pretty much just began for it. Invites are going out next week, and the only people invited are a few close friends and the women in my family. everything is up to you, but my advise would be not beginning to plan things until after your 20 week anatomy scan... You don't want to start planning now and then find out at your anatomy scan that something is wrong OR that you need to be on bed rest or something
  • Also we would be paying for the whole thing .
  • Any wedding ive been to is gift giving....
  • And at a baby shower you are celebrating the baby .. everyone that went to our wedding brought gift or money ... as do all weddings ive been to . And any other event for that matter. We never expect anyone to pay for it all its rude. I planned my own wedding. Didnt have a shower and planned my own bachelorette.. dont expect anyone to do it for me.
  • So i cant celebrate my own baby because they arent born yet?? Sorry i dont go by the books from long ago ... i dont care what anyone says i dont see a problem with it. i do have a problem with expecting someone to pay for everything for me... and if anyone doesnt want to go they dont have to .. thats what invitations are also for. Im done thanks for the suggestions and the bashing....

• I am 13 weeks with my first . When is the best time to start planning ??? Considering risks of miscarriage. When should the place be booked? When should invites go out ? Who should be invited? ( should i invite people that i didnt have at our wedding ? ) ...any suggestions on places to register that arent expensive ??
    QFP before the inevitable DD.

• I didnt ask your opinion on if i should plan my own or if someone else should.....
    thats a pretty hefty gift to get... so far ive paid for everything ... ive payed my way through college and our wedding and our house .. never once i expected anything from anyone. Im having a shower bacause i want to. If it bothers you so much then dont bother with me .
  • edited January 2016
    I didnt ask your opinion on if i should plan my own or if someone else should..... thats a pretty hefty gift to get... so far ive paid for everything ... ive payed my way through college and our wedding and our house .. never once i expected anything from anyone. Im having a shower bacause i want to. If it bothers you so much then dont bother with me .
    If I knew you IRL, I wouldn't. It's not a hefty gift. You can do a baby shower for under $200. You can even have multiple hosts if one person can't afford the entire shower; I have 3 so they can split duties and costs. I've paid my way for everything as well so...go us. You really should look at those websites I posted. I'm not just making this up.

• I know you arent making it up . Ive seen it before . Doesnt mean ill agree. I know lots of women where im from have no problem with throwing their own .. and if someone else did they helped with it or wouldnt have minded doing it themselves.
  • Here's my personal experience. I was invited to a baby shower by the MTB (this should have been my first hint that something was amiss) but I ignored that fact because I just assumed she was inviting me personally because it was pretty close to the date of the party. When I got there, I realized that she was actually hosting it and I felt uncomfortable and used. I felt like I wasn't there to celebrate her coming LO, I felt like I was there for a gift.

• I'm really not sure how people can simplify this any more! lol
  • Like i said ... i didnt ask any opinion on " should i do my own baby shower" but sinse it was brought up i dont agree with your opinion ... i will have mine and you will have yours . Many ladies have their own opinions of this and where im from most would agree with me . It doesnt make us terrible people. There are worse things in the world. Goodbye.
  • I didnt ask your opinion on if i should plan my own or if someone else should.....
    thats a pretty hefty gift to get... so far ive paid for everything ... ive payed my way through college and our wedding and our house .. never once i expected anything from anyone. Im having a shower bacause i want to. If it bothers you so much then dont bother with me .

Um ok then you should just buy all of your registry items yourself and not have a shower. Instead of a shower you could have a meet the baby party after the baby is born. Or if you really want a shower then have one and don't have a registry. Saying you want to pay for the shower but then accepting gifts from all of your guests doesn't make any sense.
  • How did I miss this threadirection yesterday?

Parties before the baby is born celebrate the mom, parties after the baby is born celebrate the baby. It's not that hard of a concept.
  • ambercakes92ambercakes92 member
    edited January 2016
    I will preface by saying that if you're willing to pay for your own shower, then you should just buy all your own baby items/gifts yourself and throw a regular party. Throwing your own gift-giving event is tacky.

To answer your questions, my shower had two hostesses. Invites went out 3-4 weeks before the event, and the major planning/coordinating (food and games) happened about 1-2 weeks before. Only family and long-time family friends were invited.

Eta: the shower was at my house and took place when I was 33 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When is the best time to start planning ???  I didn't plan my own, my best friend and sisters did, but I think they started planning when I was around 25 weeks

When should the place be booked?  No idea since mine was at someone home. 

When should invites go out ? 3-4 weeks before the event.

Who should be invited? ( should i invite people that i didnt have at our wedding ? ) ...any suggestions on places to register that arent expensive ??  Close friends and family.  Whether or not they were invited to the wedding is irrelevant.
  • You should start planing after you find out the gender. If you don't want to know the gender you should start planning around 20-25 weeks. Just make sure you give yourself enough time to go get the stuff you don't get from the shower.
    There's no rules to a baby shower you can plan it yourself if you would like. I did mine, I didn't pay for though my sister and mother had offered to. I'm a huge OCD, control freak and I preferred to plan it. I actually enjoyed planning it.
    Again there's no rules you can do whatever you want.
  • Lognels said:

You should start planing after you find out the gender. If you don't want to know the gender you should start planning around 20-25 weeks. Just make sure you give yourself enough time to go get the stuff you don't get from the shower.
    There's no rules to a baby shower you can plan it yourself if you would like. I did mine, I didn't pay for though my sister and mother had offered to. I'm a huge OCD, control freak and I preferred to plan it. I actually enjoyed planning it.

This is all I think of when I hear people say there's no rules. That is all I have to add to this discussion.

• VOR said:
    Bigboobsmcgee said: Those folks are selfish.
    And entitled, quite honestly.  The defense of "I was able to do it the way *I* liked" can't make me roll my eyes more.  That's not the point of a shower.  The point is for someone to offer you the GIFT of a shower and you shw up and be the gracious guest of honor. 

Etiquette isn't law.  BUT it is basic rules geared to make people cognizant of OTHER people and their comfort.  the more that people say "rules don't matter/ etiquette doesn't matter" just shows how things are turning.  And that turn ain't good.  Again- it's a turn to being selfish and entiteld.

Yes, yes, yes!

• Lognels said:

You should start planing after you find out the gender. If you don't want to know the gender you should start planning around 20-25 weeks. Just make sure you give yourself enough time to go get the stuff you don't get from the shower.

If you are such a control freak then you might as well have paid for it. You basically planned your own party and had someone else pay for it? Wow.