July 2015 Moms

Holiday in laws

corndogrobotcorndogrobot member
edited December 2015 in July 2015 Moms
C'mon, I know you have stories about your baby and the in laws. (Or your own family)
Spending time with them during the holidays must lend to uncomfortable and maybe hilarious situations.
Lets hear them.

Re: Holiday in laws

• @corndogrobot that's really awkward and inappropriate to say especially coming from you in law :neutral: lol anyways I spent Christmas with my family in Florida. When it was time to open the presents there was so many boxes and we all got excited especially my mom lol when it came to give out the boxes, my son got 95% of the boxes and the rest only got 2-3 presents lol every one was so excited thinking it was for them but they were all for my son! I was happy though and everyone enjoyed it!! It was my little one's first Christmas and it was nice to see him get spoiled it and be loved!! :blush:
  • Loading the player...
  • v&drustonv&druston member
    edited December 2015
    My MIL lives in a 2 bedroom apartment, so we obviously shared a room with our son in the pack & play and had our dog in the room too. DS did not sleep well there at all. But on second night I mentioned that I was hot the night before. She insisted I could turn the ceiling fan on using the wall switch. I knew it would also turn on the lights. As I was trying to quietly go into the room, she walks up behind me & loudly says "just flip that switch, I know what I'm talking about" & reaches her arm in to try to hit the wall switch. Luckily I caught her arm & stopped her, but not before she woke the baby up with her loud voice! Grrrr!!! BTW I used the switch the next morning & the fan turned on along with all 4 of the lights!!!

That is just one of the many things she did to drive me crazy!
  • F'ing shoot me...that about sums it up
  • My FIL is clueless about babies and can be counted on to make ridiculous suggestions. My favorite from the weekend: he wanted to know why we needed the car seat when I could just put baby in the Ergo (with me wearing him and me buckled in).
  • What really peeved me was we get there and my MIL is sick and a cousin who was also staying at my in laws was sick. Of course now I'm sick. Thankfully LO seems to be fine. I would have liked a head's up and the option of figuring out somewhere else to stay.
  • My FIL is clueless about babies and can be counted on to make ridiculous suggestions. My favorite from the weekend: he wanted to know why we needed the car seat when I could just put baby in the Ergo (with me wearing him and me buckled in).

Seems legit ;)
  • @krissyberb - That's so something my MIL would do. She would rather risk my DS getting sick than us stay anywhere else. So selfish!!
  • what is it with family and in laws not understanding about being quiet and keeping your voices down.
    mine tell me my DS has to get used to noise (which he is just not talking as he's nosey and likes to listen). maybe if it took them anywhere from 1-4 hrs to get him settled and stop crying then they'd shut up for 5 minutes!
  • Omg I think I have the worst story yet. So we made the 4 hour drive yesterday to come to London to see my hubbys dad and wife for New Years. So today somehow my fil talks me into going to see a movie with the hubby and him and leave LO with my mil. Well I'm really not comfortable
    Leaving her with anyone yet but figured the movies was 5 minutes away if I did need to come home. Well I messaged her before movie started and she told me she was sleeping and I messaged her again just after and she never answered. We were gone a total of 1.45hrs. We got back my daughters face was tear streaked, she was wrapped in some random blanket and my mil looked so frazzled and said she hasn't stopped crying. I noticed her bottle on counter and said did u not feed her,she said oh she was pushing it away so she wasn't hungry, then I said did u change her, o she didn't want to be changed...... Uhm ok.... I take her into the bedroom and she has a blow out of poop all up her back and in her clothes, I changed her wrapped her in her swaddle gave her a new bottle and she instantly fell asleep. Never again will this happen. Do not tell me you are capable to watch my daughter and beg me to do it because your grandma and then do this to my poor girl. Her whole schedule has been a mess now today. Thanks....ugh
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    edited January 2016

Omg I think I have the worst story yet. So we made the 4 hour drive yesterday to come to London to see my hubbys dad and wife for New Years. So today somehow my fil talks me into going to see a movie with the hubby and him and leave LO with my mil. Well I'm really not comfortable
    Leaving her with anyone yet but figured the movies was 5 minutes away if I did need to come home. Well I messaged her before movie started and she told me she was sleeping and I messaged her again just after and she never answered. We were gone a total of 1.45hrs. We got back my daughters face was tear streaked, she was wrapped in some random blanket and my mil looked so frazzled and said she hasn't stopped crying. I noticed her bottle on counter and said did u not feed her,she said oh she was pushing it away so she wasn't hungry, then I said did u change her, o she didn't want to be changed...... Uhm ok.... I take her into the bedroom and she has a blow out of poop all up her back and in her clothes, I changed her wrapped her in her swaddle gave her a new bottle and she instantly fell asleep. Never again will this happen. Do not tell me you are capable to watch my daughter and beg me to do it because your grandma and then do this to my poor girl. Her whole schedule has been a mess now today. Thanks....ugh

Oh no no no no! Please never again leave your daughter with your MIL.. :o . And did you tell her something!? I'm sorry this happened mama, I would of been so upset!!!!! I hope your little girl fees better and hope she gets back to her schedule! Sending hugs your way!
  • SBbabyonboardSBbabyonboard member
    edited January 2016
    Oh yes @n3na94 I cried, I felt so horrible for even thinking she was ready to watch her on her own. She could see how upset I was. I didn't speak to her all of last night and she never apologized. (I would have never in a million years have left her if I thought she would not be capable of watching her for a couple hours because of how responsible and grown up and so willing/loving grandma etc) but I guess she thought that she was capable because of how cute and how adorable she is and wanted to care for her but as soon as a baby cries grandparents usually get to hand them back to the parents so I guess she just kinda freaked and didn't know what to do but to me it seemed like she was just flat out lazy and didn't want to change a poopey diaper. I don't even like thinking about it, it makes me so upset. Never ever again. I have separation anxiety with my daughter and thought I was getting better but that just made it skyrocket again!
  • @SBbabyonboard ughhh the worst! I wouldn't leave my baby with my MIL either. Whenever she's held my son and he poop's she hands him back to me while my mom will just do it with out saying anything.