September 2016 Moms

Babywearing

The cloth diaper discussion got me thinking about babywearing.  Any FTMs thinking about it?  Or if you are a STM+ did you wear with your other babies?  I just had a k'tan and an Ergo with my first baby.  But got into wrapping with woven wraps, ring slings and Tulas with my second baby.  I still wear my 2.5 yr old in the Tula (on my back) on shopping trips and she loves it.  I love to convert people to babywearing and I'm so excited to get to wear a snuggly newborn again! 
Married 9/19/09
Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Babywearing

• You read my mind! I just posted a question about this in the daily check-in. I didn't wear DD very much, and am excited to get the hang of it for this kid, since I'll be chasing a toddler around.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary       

• Love babywearing! Never would've gotten anything done without it. I used a K'tan for the newborn/infant stage and then switched to the Ergo. I tried wrapping but my daughter wasn't patient enough to allow me to figure it out. She's almost three and occasionally lets me still wear her on my back in the Ergo. I also have a toddler Tula but not a big fan because I've never felt like I got a good fit with it. Love spreading the babywearing love :)
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Helll..so I am a baby wearing mom. I have worn DD since she was like 4 weeks. I used ka'tan..my dh used the B'jorn. Not a super baby dangler fan but he would not wear the ka'tan. I used a Tula since 4-5 months. I love my Tula and my DH loves it and has one too. It does back and front. I am probably going to wear the next. It helps you get things done when they won't let you out of their sight. Or when you are out and about.
  • Used a Moby around the house in the early weeks, and still use my Ergo pretty regularly with little guy a year old. Fantastic for quick dog walks, grocery shopping before he was old enough to sit in the cart, etc.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oops, and in my little profile picture I'm wearing little man in our Kelty hiking pack, which is amazing for hiking/parades/fireworks, etc.  We spend a lot of time outdoors and he absolutely loves this carrier
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • AnnaS930 said:

Oops, and in my little profile picture I'm wearing little man in our Kelty hiking pack, which is amazing for hiking/parades/fireworks, etc.  We spend a lot of time outdoors and he absolutely loves this carrier

We are looking for a hiking backpack I know there are different kelty. Which is yours. My hubs wants one bad. We also looked at osprey..I think it's called.
  • We were babywearing until recently. DS is a little over 2 and isn't really interested in it anymore. I plan on BW with this baby. I'd like to get a woven ring sling, and I'm probably going to splurge and get a woven for belly support this time around.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• This will be my first baby and I definitely want to be babywearing. I am really exited about it! If any of you have tips it would be much appreciated :)
    35 years old, TTC #1 Dec 28, 2011
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism.
    First IVF cycle June 5th 2015 --- BFP
    Miscarriage at 8 weeks
    FET December 15th 2015--- BFP!
    First saw  at 6w4d
    It's a boy!

Luciano Alessandro Maximiliano was born on September 3rd 2016

• I didn't babywear that much with DD. I have an ergo. Thinking about getting an ergo 360

I'm interested in a wrap for this LO to wear around the house during those early months. It's too damn hot outside in central FL to babywear anytime other than winter (my personal preference anyway...)

• If anyone wants some tips on types of wraps or where to buy them I'd be happy to help!  As far as learning to wrap, YouTube is a great resource!
    Married 9/19/09
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited January 2016

The type of babywearing device is very much a personal preference. For example, most people rave over Tulas. I prefer the Ergo. That being said, look for babywearing groups in your area. You can go to a meeting and try on different devices. Babywearing International groups have a library where you can check one out and try it out at home.

^wss

My lactation consultant also put me in contact with a group on wearing. I got to try different ones.
  • @WineNChocolate we use a Kelty Journey 2.0 and love it.  Very easy to use, pretty lightweight, nice kickstand for putting baby on/taking off and it has a little detachable sunshade which has been amazing - can limit the amount of sunscreen lathered on and helps keep some of the bugs away (gotta love the Maine woods).  Highly recommend
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • reesaXdenreesaXden member
    edited January 2016
    I love babywearing! With my son I used an ergo, mei tai, ring sling, and moby. Thinking about adding a Tula to my collection.
  • I would love to get more into baby wearing. Both of my girls had hip dysplasia at birth and initially had to wear a pavlik harness 24/7, but I started wearing #2 more as she got older. I have a toddler Tula that I love and I will spend the next 8 months stalking the website deciding which standard I want!
    DD1 6.2011 
    DD2 4.2013 - vbac
    DS1 9.2016 - vbac, team green
    Baby #4 due 9.2018
  • I wish I had gotten more into babywearing with my daughter!  I used an Ergo here and there but should have taken better advantage of it - I definitely plan on doing so with #2!  The one problem I had with the Ergo was that it didn't work well when my daughter was really little, even with the newborn insert.  I'd love to use something more wrap-like when this baby is small...any recommendations?  If you had to pick one option that you couldn't live without, what would it be?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I never really gave baby wearing a good chance to work with my first and second baby. With this being number 3, I feel like I'll really need my hands free a lot more often and will probably give it a good shot. I have a friend that uses a moby wrap and it looks comfortable and fairly easy to use, so I'll probably get one of those to try out first.
  • @JennM205, personally, I would use a ring sling for the newborn days.  Very easy to get baby in and out and easy to adjust.  Moby is another good option but for some people they can be cumbersome since they are long.  It just takes time to get the hang of it.  The baby k'tan is another great option.  It's similar to the moby but it is kind of "pre-wrapped" for you so it's easier to use.  You just need to make sure you get the right size for you.
    Married 9/19/09
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Baby wearing saved us while he was an infant and still does at 17 months. I went through a slight addiction phase and grew a pretty big collection of different kinds. Our go to is the Tula these days and we got him a matching one for his baby doll. I can't wait to wear them at the same time
  • I wore my DD starting at 3 months or so.  I wish I had started sooner.  We had a sling, moby and Ergo.  She will be 4 next month and would still get in the Ergo if we let her.  I love it; it's really so convenient.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • reesaXden said:

I love babywearing! With my son I used an ergo, mei tai, ring sling, and moby. Thinking about adding a Tula to my collection.

Do it...add the Tula... JOIN US. Lol ;)

• Sporty1216Sporty1216 member
    edited January 2016
    Three cheers for babywearing! I didn't really wear LO much until he was a few months old and didn't discover woven wraps and buckle onbus until he was closer to 1. I'm looking forward to starting off right from the start this time around. And, I'll pretty much have to considering that with a toddler to chase, I won't be able to sit and soak up newborn cuddles on the couch all day. ;)

ETA: @JennM205 --I'm planning on a lightweight stretchy (like a solly wrap or a happy baby wrap) for the beginning, along with a ring sling. The stretchy will only be good for while baby is little, but I use my ring slings with my 30 lb 21 mo old all the time.
  • @crispy11 I know! I was so excited to get my toddler Tula and I could just never get a good fit. Meanwhile, my almost three year old still fits relatively comfortably in our trusty Ergo.

Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm definitely planning on babywearing!  It's been my plan since long before I got pregnant.  I just need to figure out what sling/wrap/carrier will be the best for my needs.  

Luckily, my friend's sister is big into babywearing (and has three little ones of her own that she's worn from birth on), so I'm sure she'll be able to guide me in the right direction if I ask her.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Our infertility journey (TW)
    ● IUI #1: BFN 
    ● IUI #2: BFP - early M/C :'(  
    ● IUI #3: BFN 
    ● IUI #4: BFN 
    ● IVF/FET #1 (2 transferred): BFP! TWINS!
    ● FET #2 (1 transferred): BFP!  BOY #3!
    ● Natural #1: BFP - M/C @ 8 weeks :'(
    ● Natural #2:  BFP - M/C @ 5w5d :'(

• I still wear my 16 month old. He's not a big fan of the stroller. I loved my wrap when DS was younger but don't find I use it much now. 90% of the time I use my Mei tei. I tried a couple of ssc but never liked the buckles. I hate having to do it up behind my back and I live in a place where coats are always on and off so I like that the Mei tai is tied to fit whatever you're wearing, no adjusting! I know many people are very devoted to their bobas and tulas and Ergos though ;)

For the ftm's don't get sucked into a stretchy wrap!! Your kid will be sagging out by 15 lbs!!! Also, do research on ergonomic carriers. There are lots of popular carriers out there that cost a mint like baby Bjorns but they are not comfortable for mom or baby and they do not support baby's hips properly!!!!
  • JennM205 said:

I wish I had gotten more into babywearing with my daughter!  I used an Ergo here and there but should have taken better advantage of it - I definitely plan on doing so with #2!  The one problem I had with the Ergo was that it didn't work well when my daughter was really little, even with the newborn insert.  I'd love to use something more wrap-like when this baby is small...any recommendations?  If you had to pick one option that you couldn't live without, what would it be?

I have a gauze wrap called a Wrap 'n Wear that I adore. It is less bulky than a woven wrap and much more affordable (around $50 online) and it is not stretchy so it will last until your kid is a toddler.

• Not sure how well it shows in te pic but this is my gauze wrap.
  • I'm a FTM and definitely want to baby wear. I have a friend who is totally into baby wearing and has offered to show me but she doesn't vaccinate her children so I won't be taking her up on her offer. My bff used a moby when her baby was little and I like the ergo ones because they seem simple enough to get the baby in and out.
    The in-laws and I are planning a trip to NYC for thanksgiving so baby wearing will definitely be the way to go on that trip. I really want one of those kangaroo hoodies that have an opening for the baby's head!
  • I want/need to babywear this time.  Did inconsistently with both my boys, using a across body sling (great for baby to sleep and breastfeed) but I found it restrictive as the sling swung away from your body as you leaned forward.  So as I want to continue with my business, and working on my property (an organic small holding) during the pregnancy and post natal, I need a front pack style with a waist strap or tie.  I like the ones that look more traditional rather than the modern adaptions (totally due only to my own self-image and brand and vanity)
    Which brands would you lovely mamas recommend?
  • I love my boba wrap, but I use my sling the most. It is just so easy to thrown on and stick baby in. I can nurse with it. Carry a sleeping baby in it. It's a life saver.
  • @JustPeachyPie I'm not sure what you mean by traditional?  I can make some suggestions but I'm not sure what you are looking for.  An ergonomic carrier with buckles?  Wrap or ring-sling?
    Married 9/19/09
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm going to be a FTM and love the idea of babywearing.  Just had to google Tula and ergo lol.  H has always liked the idea of babywearing, well before we TTC he would point out every guy who was, so cute.  Also, a while ago I saw this and cannot wait for Halloween with the LO.
  • I will be a FTM, and I'm very much hoping to babywear.  I'm just starting to learn all about it and the difference types, but I love the concept.  Good to know that you can go to groups and try out different wraps.  I know preferences had differ widely person to person, and I hate the idea of spending a ton of money on a product I won't like/use.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • I used a moby wrap for my son and loved it. But like a PP said, as soon as he hit around 15-20lbs he would sag. I want to get a different carrier this time around for when this baby gets bigger. My son is two, so I need my hands free! :)
  • Baby wearing is all good, especially for infants. I wore my infant out of practicality, it wasn't a philosophical choice. I still wear my 1 year old on occasion. I'll probably do more baby wearing just trying to juggle two. I just wish it didn't come with a whole lifestyle/attachment parenting philosophy. I've met so many dogmatic baby wearing people. I don't get that.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I get that @KimmySchmidt.  I babywear out of necessity and because I like it!  I don't subscribe to any particular parenting philosophy though.  I just pick and choose what works for us!
    Married 9/19/09
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We've just found d out we are having twins! This is my first pregnancy. I would love to hear from mums who have done baby wearing with more than one. Thanks :)
  • I used a moby with my DD and loved it!!! I am really wanting a sling this time around because the Moby did get annoying because of all the extra fabric.

Me: 33 DH: 39
    DD 1: 5-24-13
    TTC#2: BFP: 8-23-15 MMC: 10-29-15
    DD 2: 9-15-16
    DD 3: 9-16-17

• But @KimmySchmidt the baby wearers love their babies more, duh!

Obviously kidding and I so know what you mean.
    DD1 6.2011 
    DD2 4.2013 - vbac
    DS1 9.2016 - vbac, team green
    Baby #4 due 9.2018