September 2016 Moms

Cloth Diapers

Showing my crunchy side. Who has cloth diapered and/or is planning on cloth diapering their S16 baby? I started cloth with my daughter around five months and loved it. Hoping to do newborn diapers with this next baby. (Hoping my almost three year old will decide potty training isn't the devil someday, as well, because I'd prefer not to have two in cloth.)

So, who's considering it but is overwhelmed? Let me bring you over to the dark side.

Married 6/4/11
Reese born 3/23/13
Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Cloth Diapers

• I'm a cloth diapering, crunchy mom!! :)
  • I purchased some newborn cloth diapers before #3 was born (never got to use them since she was in the NICU) and I'm excited to use them with this new baby!  I've never used cloth before and I'm afraid I'll hate it.  But I'm going to at least try while I'm home on maternity leave.
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • reesaXden said:
    I'm a cloth diapering, crunchy mom!! :)

What other crunchy ways do you have? I'm kind of middle of the road but am always open to other things.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • reesaXdenreesaXden member
    edited January 2016
    @PSUBecky23 Breastfeeding, passionate essential oil user, I make all of my own cleaners, bug spray, detergents, etc, and so on.
  • Sarafuss said:
    I purchased some newborn cloth diapers before #3 was born (never got to use them since she was in the NICU) and I'm excited to use them with this new baby!  I've never used cloth before and I'm afraid I'll hate it.  But I'm going to at least try while I'm home on maternity leave.

Once you get a routine down, it's really not that hard. Good luck!
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is my first baby so I'm not sure if I'm crazy to consider cloth diapering, but I am! I can easily be persuaded to come over to the dark side! :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I cloth diapered dd from 7 months to 2.5. This time I'll start right from the beginning! Ive already purchased a couple, my plan is to buy a few every month to spread it out. Im nervous about cding a nb since ive never done it before! Glad to see there are some cd moms in here!
    BFP 12/26/10 EDD 9/2/11 Peyton Marie born 9/9/11 BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #2 12/26/2015 ~ EDD 9/9/16 ~ 1st HCG 23dpo- 2255 ~ 2nd HCG 25dpo-
    BabyFruit Ticker

• This is my first baby so I'm not sure if I'm crazy to consider cloth diapering, but I am! I can easily be persuaded to come over to the dark side! :)

Check out cloth diapering 101 on youtube for an intro. Also, the CD group on here was really helpful when I was starting out. Happy to answer any questions.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you! I'm sure as it gets closer I'll have more questions.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We CD, here, as well. Also hoping that my kid will potty train, as he was starting and then seemed to decide that he was just kidding.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Not crunchy, but I'm hoping to use cloth diapers.
    Dx: Me- Empty Sella Syndrome, Dh-None
    Clomid 50-100mg BFNs
    Clomid 150mg 2 follicles, BFP 7/4/15, EDD 3/12/16, CP 7/7/15
    Clomid 150mg, 2 follicles, IUI BFN
    Natural Cycle, BFP 12/28/15, EDD 9/3/16

• Hello crunchy ones! I am a disposable :s but am seriously thinking of going cloth. What would be the best things to research for like diaper service or types. My DD HAS very sensitive skin and the dispoables increase the healing time and such for her. Looking to move on over and join the crunch.
  • I told DH before we even got PG that when we had kids we would be going the route of CD. I would LOVE any tips as I have absolutely no experience with it.
  • reesaXden said:
    @PSUBecky23 Breastfeeding, passionate essential oil user, I make all of my own cleaners, bug spray, detergents, etc, and so on.
    Please fill me in on essential oils! I was thinking of asking for a starter kit for my bday in a few weeks but wasn't sure which brand to go with (Young Living, Doterra?) or what diffuser to get.  I really want something for allergies/flu season, sleep and also relaxation throughout the house. 

• I tried cloth diapers with my son. I bought countless different brands and spent over $600. They just did not work for him. There was a leak every single time.
    I saved my stash and I'll try them with baby #2

My advice would be to start with a small, varied stash. Find out what works for you and your baby and go from there.

That and get a toilet sprayer. I loved it the few times we used it!
    DS#1: born Dec 29, 2013 
    TTC#2 since Sept 2014 - unexplained secondary IF
    BFP #2: 11.7.14  M/C: 11.27.14 @ 6w3days
    BFP #3: 04.19.2015 M/C 04.27.15 @ 4w3days
    BFP #4: 10.05.2015 C/P @ 3w4days
    Oct 11, 2015: Cycle 13. Starting Femara (2.5mg). HSG this cycle (all clear) - BFN
    Nov 12, 2015: Cyle 14. Femara 5mg + IUI - BFN
    Dec 10, 2015: Cycle 15. Femara 5mg + IUI #2 - BFP #5! C/P 4w4d
    Jan 10, 2016: Cycle 16. Femara 5mg + IUI #3 - BFN.
    Feb 10, 2016: Cycle 17.  No IUI or meds. Taking a break - Natural BFP Mar 5, 2016!!!! EDD Nov 16, 2016
    Moving to IVF March 2016
    Beta at 10dpo: 21, Beta at 12dpo: 98, Beta at 14dpo: 264, Beta at 16dpo: 745
    U/S 6w6d: single beautiful heartbeat of 121bpm - It's a boy!!!!
    Nov 3, 2016: Our family became complete. Welcome DS #2.
  • Definitely get a stash with a variety of different types because different diapers fit each baby differently. Some of the CD websites let you do a rental program to try some out. If you have a local CD shop, go check it out so you can actually put your hands on them. Check out the CD board here. Definitely helped me learn the lingo. Also check out cloth diapering 101 on youtube.

Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • reesaXdenreesaXden member
    edited January 2016
    izzetoot said:

reesaXden said:

Please fill me in on essential oils! I was thinking of asking for a starter kit for my bday in a few weeks but wasn't sure which brand to go with (Young Living, Doterra?) or what diffuser to get.  I really want something for allergies/flu season, sleep and also relaxation throughout the house. 

--------------------------------------------------
    I use YL and doterra! I personally love them both. They are both reputable companies but have some different blends I like, so I just use both. I am a wholesale member with both companies as well but do not sell. I just don't have time.

I use the YL petal diffuser and it's been great. I have had zero issues with it.

My favorite non brand specific oils are: lavender, citrus ones (orange, lemon, etc.. For cleaning), and peppermint for headaches and tummy troubles.

My favorite YL blends are:
    Peace and calming- perfect blend for night diffusing to lower the energy and prepare my DS for bed.

Thieves- is an antibacterial blend that is perfect for killing germs and boosting your immune system. I have this in a roller ball and I apply it to the soles of our feet before bed. I run an in-home daycare and this winter we have had the flu, croup, and colds come through and neither my son nor myself have gotten any of it.

Stress away- seriously!! It's nicknamed a vacation in a bottle. When I feel overwhelmed I just close my eyes and inhale the scent. Seriously, amazing.

I haven't tried as many doterra blends but I love their blend "Serenity". It's a lavender based oil that also helps with sleep.

Feel free to ask any questions.

***there are some oils you should stay away from during pregnancy so make sure you research that as well.
  • I'd love to use cloth diapers, but we live in a NYC building without a washer/dryer in our unit. We bring our laundry to get done once a week and I can just imagine what stench that would add up to? Maybe if there's a service with like an airtight container?! Haha ;)
  • I used cloth with both my kids and will again! My favorite CD store changed locations and now is much closer to my house. I can hardly wait to go shopping!!!

#1 DS Apr.2010    #2 DD Feb.2013    #3 DS Sept.2016

• We used cloth for my DD from day 2 (as soon as we got home from the hospital!), and also love it.  Now that she is mostly potty-trained, we only use them at night, but I can't imagine switching to disposables now.  My NB diapers are currently on loan to a friend who is having a baby in Feb, but I'm excited to get to use them again with #2.

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016
  • I'm planning on cloth diapering.  Still haven't figured out what brand of diapers to go with, but it' been something I've been planning on since before I got pregnant.

My mom cloth diapered me and swore by it.  Times and technology have changed since then, obviously, but it's something I'm excited about.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Our infertility journey (TW)
    ● IUI #1: BFN 
    ● IUI #2: BFP - early M/C :'(  
    ● IUI #3: BFN 
    ● IUI #4: BFN 
    ● IVF/FET #1 (2 transferred): BFP! TWINS!
    ● FET #2 (1 transferred): BFP!  BOY #3!
    ● Natural #1: BFP - M/C @ 8 weeks :'(
    ● Natural #2:  BFP - M/C @ 5w5d :'(

• @reesaXden   Thank you! I am going to try out the YL Petal diffuser and definitely the Thieves oil! 

• Yep, we cloth diaper!! I will admit that I didn't take the time to read all the other responses, but we used Bummis cotton prefolds with a snappy and home made covers. We waited until DS was a month or two old (about 10 lbs I think) before starting cloth. There are brands that make a newborn cloth diaper but they don't grow with your baby so it seemed like a waste of money to me.

My biggest tip would be, if you don't have a diaper sprayer already, invest in one!! We got ours when DS was 4 months and two months later he was starting solids and the poops were much easier to plop into the toilet. Once j saw how good it was, I kicked myself for not having the sprayer for all those newborn poops!!
  • reesaXden said:

You sound like me! The only thing I gave up on was the laundry detergent. I can't find most of the ingredients where I live and I found I had to wash in hot to get things clean which seemed wasteful.
  • I'd love to use cloth diapers, but we live in a NYC building without a washer/dryer in our unit. We bring our laundry to get done once a week and I can just imagine what stench that would add up to? Maybe if there's a service with like an airtight container?! Haha ;)

If you live in NYC I guarantee you could get a service. I would kill for that!! As long as you rinse your diapers the smell won't be any worse than sposies, especially if the service picks up frequently.
  • Oh, my other tip! Say no to Velcro, go with snaps!! Even if you're careful, it always gets stuck to the elastic around the leg holes in the wash (depending on the type of diapers) and ruins it!!
  • I agree with everyone saying to get a diaper sprayer!! I think every mom should have one, even if you don't CD. We stopped CDing when DD was 2.5 thinking she'd be potty trained in no time. We'll that didn't happen! She didn't get fully potty trained until almost 4 and the sprayer came in so handy!
    BFP 12/26/10 EDD 9/2/11 Peyton Marie born 9/9/11 BFP Chart
    BFP #2 12/26/2015 ~ EDD 9/9/16 ~ 1st HCG 23dpo- 2255 ~ 2nd HCG 25dpo-
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I am a FTM mom but definitely "crunchy" in that I eat vegan, buy everything organic that is feasibly possible, take daily shots of apple cider vinegar, believe in the magical powers of manuka honey, etc... Love seeing what mamas are commenting on here so I can get acquainted with who to ask for advice. 

Very curious about your oils, @reesaXden, right now I just use earth mama angel baby stretch oil and coconut oil but nothing else. 

I am very interested in cloth diapering. My question is, what happens if it doesn't work for my family? Honest diapers? Andy Pandy? Earth's best? Bambo? I'm stressin'!
  • Cloth diapered DD full-time, and cloth diapered DS sometimes. I'm not sure what we'll do this time around. Honestly, I have a hard time keeping up with the laundry as-is. :)

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • For those who have used cloth diapers, did you have to size up in baby clothes to fit the fluffy bum?
    Dx: Me- Empty Sella Syndrome, Dh-None
    Clomid 50-100mg BFNs
    Clomid 150mg 2 follicles, BFP 7/4/15, EDD 3/12/16, CP 7/7/15
    Clomid 150mg, 2 follicles, IUI BFN
    Natural Cycle, BFP 12/28/15, EDD 9/3/16

• @mom2adoodle feel free to ask any questions!!
  • I'd like to fully use cloth diapers this time. Considering I still have the ones I used briefly for DS. I tried the G diapers with disposable inserts first. They worked pretty good. Then I tried the bigger ones that you fold into the covers. But DS was a heavy wetter, I got frustrated and stopped using them. Perhaps this time I'll try the AIO.
  • For those who have used cloth diapers, did you have to size up in baby clothes to fit the fluffy bum?

Yes, I often had to change his pants if we were going out in a disposable. There are pants that many ladies make that grow with your baby. I have a friend who has a home business making them. She calls them Seeet Bottoms but I'm sure there are other names. They fold down at the waist and legs and fit from approximately 3 months to 3T!!! They are awesome for CD because they adjust to any sized "bum" :)
  • @mom2adoodle - I strongly recommend the Honest diapers! You can have a subscription for how often you need them too. We never had a problem with leaks and they have really cute patterns that aren't cliche Mickey crap haha.
  • RedMarRedMar member
    edited January 2016
    I've been going back and forth since day one with DS whether I should go to the dark side. I've opted for "healthier sposies" to lessen harsh chemical exposure but I want to be greener! And then I stumble across articles such as this-
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-cloth-diapers-might-not-be-the-greener-choice-after-all/2015/05/08/32b2d8dc-f43a-11e4-bcc4-e8141e5eb0c9_story.html

I had a friend that did the elimination communication and I have nightmares of baby pee and poop all over my walls :open_mouth:

Obviously I'm in a debate, help me crunchies! Are all CDs cotton or are there some with Baby Jesus burlap?? (Sounds extremely uncomfortable)
  • @mom2adoodle, if it doesn't work out, there's a good resale market for CDs. But honestly, it sounds harder than it is. Once you get a routine down, it's really not that much more work. You're already doing extra laundry with a baby anyway. What's some CDs on top? :-)
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @redmar, they can't be completely cotton because there needs to be some sort of waterproof layer. Prefolds, flats and flower sack towels tend to be all cotton but then you have to put a cover over them, which is generally made of PUL. You can also do wool covers (which I haven't done but people rave over them). Pocket diapers usually come with microfiber inserts but you can stuff them with any of the cotton diapers I listed above.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @PSUBecky23 thanks for the info. Do you usually throw the diapers in with other laundry? What detergent do use? Trying to convince DH as his thought is they aren't much better for environment due to the excessive use of water and power to run the machines to wash them. From an economic standpoint, I see where they could save hundreds, but not if they're adding to our electric and water bill. With DS (he was a June baby)I had the advantage of hanging everything outside to dry for 4+ mos. With this babe, not so much!
  • For those worried about laundry, we found that regular detergent worked fine (our daughter does not have sensitive skin), and we put them in the dryer with no bad repercussions.  The wash routine that worked best for us was that while I was putting DD to bed, DH would start the laundry (if we were doing diapers that day).  We usually do two wash routines in our machine (a short and a long), so we'd start the next wash load while watching TV or doing chores in the evening, and then DH would switch the diapers to the dryer before he went to bed (I go to bed earlier than he does).  Then we'd have nice dry diapers in the morning that I'd stuff right after breakfast.  It works well for us. 

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016
  • @reesaxden- I just purchased 3 roller balls from a friend that sells DoTerra brand and had literally just found out i was pregnant.  Are the oils safe to use while pregnant?  I bought on guard, lavender and breathe?  I believe from her?

@laurenlalap- what's a toilet sprayer?

I have a friend who has been CD her son and has said he has not had diaper rash yet.  This is appealing to me, as well as some of the other things she was mentioning in her reasons for wanting to CD, like all the chemicals and junk that the Huggies and Pampers are made out of it.  But reading through some of the comments on here, is it taking longer to potty train the older kids because they have been in CD and to them its feels more normal like underwear than a pampers or huggies?? just wondering.