July 2015 Moms
Options

bottle fights

My six-month old used to be a champion eater but has been fighting bottles for a while. I know that he's hungry so I offer him a bottle and he acts like I'm torturing him and flails around until I can actually get the nipple in his mouth and he gets some milk, then he sips happily and smiles. Sometimes putting him in his car seat or propped up on pillows first makes it a little easier and sometimes (this is maybe weird?) singing the wheels on the bus distracts him enough to get started. I think it may be connected to teething but when his first tooth was coming out there was never the calming down phase and he just ate less for those few days. Now it almost seems like he got in a bottle fighting habit and doesn't remember that eating is what will solve his problem when he feels hungry. Anyone gone through something like this? Suggestions?

Re: bottle fights

• Options
    My daughter did this about 2 months ago- distraction is key... No idea why it happened, but it lasted about a week. I would start the bottle standing up or in a new room or singing like you do. Then once she took it she was also happy as a clam! Good luck hopefully it passes soon
  • Options
    Oh we are in the same boat, LO is teething so he likes to just chew on the nipple and then look at me and just smile, like he knows what he is doing. Also he randomly stops drinking and just smacks at the bottle b/c that his new fav thing to do is smack everything.  It takes longer but we get the bottle empty
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, my LO will drink 1/2 then once she is not super hungry anymore than it gets tricky. She will chew the nipple, wiggle around, look all around the room, blow raspberries...lol. Most times I give her a break and finish the bottle like 10 min later.
  • Options
    My LO is almost 6 months old and about a week ago we started feeding him rice cereal. Now he isn't taking a bottle like he used to. He'll drink an ounce then chew on the nipple and smack the bottle around. but if you mix cereal with the rest of the formula and spoon feed him, he will eat. It's frustrating and I'm worried he's going to get dehydrated.