August 2016 Moms
Options

Shakeology during pregnancy??

Before the holidays and before finding out about my pregnancy I drank shakeology religiously! I've tried to research if it's safe to continue and I don't see my OB until the end of the month to ask so I thought I would post to see if anyone has any input if it's safe or not! Thanks! :)

Re: Shakeology during pregnancy??

• Options
    Try the beachbody message boards. I think there's conflicting information about it, but I do remember seeing a trainer on those boards say "absolutely NOT" to drink it during pregnancy. I could be wrong though!
  • Options
    THIS. I was An avid shakeology drinker as well as it helped me lose my baby weight from my son I had a year ago. I've read mixed things on it as well, and have heard and read different information from every doctor. From what I understand shakeology has some of the same nutrients as a pre natal...

If you find anything else out let me know!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I Googled around a bit, and I found a review of the nutritional content -- it broke down ingredients  and a couple would concern me: Ginkgo biloba (since it is a blood thinner) and Ashwagandha (which Google said is contraindicated in pregnancy due to "spasmolytic activity on the uterus, and its induction of abortions in animals when given in very large doses").

Overall, the person reviewing the nutritional content had positive things to say for general Shakeology use, but I'd avoid it during pregnancy, if I were you. (I've copied the "other ingredients" section from the nutritional review below -- in case it's helpful.)

Other Ingredients in Shakeology

Ashwagandha powder 100 mgGrape seed extract (seed) 50 mg
    Barley grass 100 mgGreen tea decaffeinated extract 50 mg
    Kamut grass 100 mgHoly basil powder (leaf)  50 mg
    Oat grass 100 mgAmaranth (Amaranthus hypochondriacus) 50 mg
    Wheat grass 100 mg
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @amandam925 thank you for the info!
  • Options
    I've heard mixed things as well. Best thing to do is not use it until you talk to your dr. For confirmation. Be sure to take the ingredients list with you to your first appt.
  • Options
    I drink it daily and my mw agrees its safe and great for me to drink. She actually recommended I don't take a prenatal and just drink Shakeology and take a folic acid supplement.

Always, always, always check wtiht our doctor though. :)
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree that I would err on the side of caution and not take it. You should definitely take it up with your doctor, though. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    Thanks so much for the replies!! I'll wait unto I see my OB!
  • Options
    @mrsodonnell12 I would seriously side-eye ANY person who advised me to not take a prenatal.  That's just asking for a lawsuit (1), and is just plain dangerous for you and baby (2).  I asked about shakeology this week from my local person, and she told me that beachbody does not recommend the shakes for pregnant women.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have read mixed reviews also, mainly saying that some of the ingredients could be harmful. I have been using an alternative to it the last few months because it's so expensive and that is Vega One all in one nutritional shake. It's completely plant based and while it doesn't have all the super foods it does have 20g of protein. The reviews I have read have said this is good during pregnancy but I haven't got the ok yet from my doctor. We have our first appt tomorrow so I plan on asking then.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    tmk0325 said:
    I have read mixed reviews also, mainly saying that some of the ingredients could be harmful. I have been using an alternative to it the last few months because it's so expensive and that is Vega One all in one nutritional shake. It's completely plant based and while it doesn't have all the super foods it does have 20g of protein. The reviews I have read have said this is good during pregnancy but I haven't got the ok yet from my doctor. We have our first appt tomorrow so I plan on asking then.
     @tmk0325 What did your Dr. say? I drink a similar raw whole food plant based protein powder but I have been only having it here and there as I don't know if it's totally safe for pregnancy
  • Options
    KUGirl09 said:

@mrsodonnell12 I would seriously side-eye ANY person who advised me to not take a prenatal.  That's just asking for a lawsuit (1), and is just plain dangerous for you and baby (2).  I asked about shakeology this week from my local person, and she told me that beachbody does not recommend the shakes for pregnant women.

Thanks for your opinion. The vitamins in shakeology are the same as the vitamins in the prenatal so it's like a liquid version of a prenatal vitamin. Prenatal vitamins aren't a magic pill, just remember that.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Beachbody advised all pregnant and nursing moms to check with their doctor. They don't advise against it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

KUGirl09 said:

Thanks for your opinion. The vitamins in shakeology are the same as the vitamins in the prenatal so it's like a liquid version of a prenatal vitamin. Prenatal vitamins aren't a magic pill, just remember that.
    No, but as mentioned above, Shakeology does contain ingredients that may be questionable to consume during pregnancy. Personally, I agree with @KUGirl09 . I mean, have you actually taken your Shakeology to the store and compared it with everything on the shelves?

Not only that, pre natal vitamins are designed specifically for pregnant women and a growing, developing fetus. Shakeology is not. That is designed for people trying to achieve it maintain a specific fitness standard and I can't really confidentially say that the people that created it really kept pregnant women in mind. And we can't really know yet what the long term affects are on a fetus that is exposed to it daily or more than once daily. The only evidence for or against its use at this point is anecdotal since Shakeology only recently (as in, within the last several years) became overwhelmingly popular.

And I know they're two different companies, but just throwing this out there as an example. Look at all of the issues Herbalife has had, yet there are numerous pregnant women that consume it and recommend it's consumption based on the same ideas that you're speaking of. However, women are getting sick, and if you look at the ingredients....it's really nothing but vitamin enriched fillers that really isn't good for regular person consumption, much less consumption by a pregnant woman.

There are legitimate concerns about the potential dangers of protein and meal replacement shakes that, imo, warrant some research and discussion. But hey, your baby, your body, your choice.

I mean, if my OB or MW suggested I not take prenatal vitamins, I'd side eye it...as previously mentioned, and probably find a new provider. But I guess that's just us.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options

KUGirl09 said:

No, but as mentioned above, Shakeology does contain ingredients that may be questionable to consume during pregnancy. Personally, I agree with @KUGirl09 . I mean, have you actually taken your Shakeology to the store and compared it with everything on the shelves?

Not only that, pre natal vitamins are designed specifically for pregnant women and a growing, developing fetus. Shakeology is not. That is designed for people trying to achieve it maintain a specific fitness standard and I can't really confidentially say that the people that created it really kept pregnant women in mind. And we can't really know yet what the long term affects are on a fetus that is exposed to it daily or more than once daily. The only evidence for or against its use at this point is anecdotal since Shakeology only recently (as in, within the last several years) became overwhelmingly popular.

And I know they're two different companies, but just throwing this out there as an example. Look at all of the issues Herbalife has had, yet there are numerous pregnant women that consume it and recommend it's consumption based on the same ideas that you're speaking of. However, women are getting sick, and if you look at the ingredients....it's really nothing but vitamin enriched fillers that really isn't good for regular person consumption, much less consumption by a pregnant woman.

There are legitimate concerns about the potential dangers of protein and meal replacement shakes that, imo, warrant some research and discussion. But hey, your baby, your body, your choice.

I mean, if my OB or MW suggested I not take prenatal vitamins, I'd side eye it...as previously mentioned, and probably find a new provider. But I guess that's just us.

Sorry, you lost me at Herbalife - there is no comparison to be made there.

And yes I've compared the ingredients to the prenatal I have on hand from my last pregnancy.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    tmk0325 said:
     @tmk0325 What did your Dr. say? I drink a similar raw whole food plant based protein powder but I have been only having it here and there as I don't know if it's totally safe for pregnancy
    @DisneyIsabelle  I did ask yesterday and actually brought in a photo of the label and she said that everything in it looked fine to consume and she was impressed with the amount of protein in it.  She said that she didn't see any harm in drinking it and along with my prenatal, I should be good to go.  Like I said the product I've been using is called Vega One All in One Nutritional Shake.  I don't drink it everyday, but I do drink it multiple times a week.  I'd maybe just check with your doctor with the brand you have just to be sure. :smile: 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    No, but as mentioned above, Shakeology does contain ingredients that may be questionable to consume during pregnancy. Personally, I agree with @KUGirl09 . I mean, have you actually taken your Shakeology to the store and compared it with everything on the shelves? Not only that, pre natal vitamins are designed specifically for pregnant women and a growing, developing fetus. Shakeology is not. That is designed for people trying to achieve it maintain a specific fitness standard and I can't really confidentially say that the people that created it really kept pregnant women in mind. And we can't really know yet what the long term affects are on a fetus that is exposed to it daily or more than once daily. The only evidence for or against its use at this point is anecdotal since Shakeology only recently (as in, within the last several years) became overwhelmingly popular. And I know they're two different companies, but just throwing this out there as an example. Look at all of the issues Herbalife has had, yet there are numerous pregnant women that consume it and recommend it's consumption based on the same ideas that you're speaking of. However, women are getting sick, and if you look at the ingredients....it's really nothing but vitamin enriched fillers that really isn't good for regular person consumption, much less consumption by a pregnant woman. There are legitimate concerns about the potential dangers of protein and meal replacement shakes that, imo, warrant some research and discussion. But hey, your baby, your body, your choice. I mean, if my OB or MW suggested I not take prenatal vitamins, I'd side eye it...as previously mentioned, and probably find a new provider. But I guess that's just us.
    Sorry, you lost me at Herbalife - there is no comparison to be made there. And yes I've compared the ingredients to the prenatal I have on hand from my last pregnancy.
    Clearly you are gung-ho about Shakeology, way to sell your product and stay committed.  This is your personal opinion.  Unless you are a medical physician (like beachbody says you MUST consult if pregnant before using their supplements - https://faq.beachbody.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1907/~/shakeology---pregnant-/-nursing-mothers) I wouldn't go as far as saying the materials in a shakeology shake are the SAME as a prenatal.  Like @imakeeff0rts said above, Prenatals are designed to help a growing fetus develop effectively.  Shakeology is intended to help a grown adult "maintain a healthy lifestyle".  To each their own, but again, for the love of babies, at least talk to a doctor before stopping a prenatal. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @tmk0325 Great, thanks! I actually have often purchased Vega as well, the one I use now is very very similar (DH is super knowledgable about all that). I'm vegetarian and really have a hard time getting enough protein so I've been drinking shakes in moderation, maybe just 3 times a week when I used to have one most days. I was planning on showing my Dr. the label when I have my appointment as well, but I suppose I trust my husband's knowledge and research. Definitely wouldn't replace my pre-natal with it or anything :)
  • Options
    There are very few studies on herbal use during pregnancy, and many are found to be unsafe during pregnancy. Even non-pregnant people should be cautious when it comes to herbal supplements. Most of them have not been properly tested or studied. I looked at the nutrition facts online, and Shakeology has a long list of herbs in the ingredients. I would stay away from it. There is lack of studies on herbs in general, and its not worth the risk. There are other ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Also, prenatals do not have herbs in them; I would not go so far as to compare them to Shakeology. 
  • Options
    KUGirl09 said:

Sorry, you lost me at Herbalife - there is no comparison to be made there.

And yes I've compared the ingredients to the prenatal I have on hand from my last pregnancy.

Clearly you are gung-ho about Shakeology, way to sell your product and stay committed.  This is your personal opinion.  Unless you are a medical physician (like beachbody says you MUST consult if pregnant before using their supplements - https://faq.beachbody.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1907/~/shakeology---pregnant-/-nursing-mothers) I wouldn't go as far as saying the materials in a shakeology shake are the SAME as a prenatal.  Like @imakeeff0rts said above, Prenatals are designed to help a growing fetus develop effectively.  Shakeology is intended to help a grown adult "maintain a healthy lifestyle".  To each their own, but again, for the love of babies, at least talk to a doctor before stopping a prenatal. 

Seriously the snark can stop. This thread was asking for opinions on Shakeology and i gave mine. I didn't tell anyone else to drink it or not drink it or take a prenatal or not take a prenatal. I ALWAYS tell people to check with their doctor. Again, this is what I personally do.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsodonnell12
    I'm going to try to say this as politely and factually as possible. 

As you stated, this post questions whether or not it is safe to use Shakeology and other protein/meal replacement shakes during pregnancy. Opinions have been given. You gave yours, and then further went to say that you have stopped taking prenatal vitamins and use this exclusively. 

YOU opened your practices up to receive opinions. Several others, including myself, have presented you with legitimate concerns. If you feel that that's "snark", well, I don't exactly know what to tell you. 

Second, you completely missed the point of my post about Herbalife. At one point, it was considered to be as safe and as amazing as Shakeology, but look at where people are with it now. Shakeology, and any other meal replacement shake has the potential to go downhill - just like Herbalife. If you're going to honestly sit there and tell me that there is ZERO risk taking supplements (and this is considered a supplement), then you're in a special kind of denial.

Furthermore, you can't really dictate how people respond on an internet forum. Expect negative feedback, especially if someone is doing something potentially questionable. If you don't like it, employ the "block" button or maybe take a minute to reflect on WHY so many people are questioning your choices.  

Good luck to you.

• Options
    When I talked to my OB she said do NOT drink protein powder even if mixed with shakes. I was disappointed, but not worth the risk so I have just been using yogurt or PB2 powder instead. 
  • Options
    imakeeff0rtsimakeeff0rts member
    edited January 2016
    @cgondek1
    Just out of curiosity, did she say why?
    ETA: I agree with her, just curious if she gave specific reasons for the purpose of education.