November 2015 Moms
Options

PPD counseling question

sadyy131sadyy131 member
edited January 2016 in November 2015 Moms
I had some baby blues in the beginning of my recovery, then they went away. In the past week I have lost two dear friends. One to suicide and another to a tragic accident. I am also starting to struggle a lot with the fact that my parents disowned me for having a child Unmarried. I am starting to struggle with a lot of anxiety and depression. My insurance does not cover mental health help. Since I have Medicaid I was able to get the numbers of three clinics that would take me for free, but they all don't have a appointment available until April. I am really struggling and need someone to talk to, but cannot afford to go to a regular conselor. I've tried to talk to friends/SO but it hasn't helped. I cannot expect them to know what to say because most of them have not been through this and aren't really trained mental health professionals. Does anyone know of any other resources available?

Re: PPD counseling question

• Options
    I'm sorry you're struggling.
    Can you try calling the places back and explain you really need help?

Also search on Facebook and online in your area to see if there are local mom support groups. Many areas have PPD support groups and private Facebook groups you can join.
    Also do you have a number like 211 to call in your area? You can call and find services that way. I bet there's emergency counseling you can find.
  • Options
    I am not sure that I can offer any help as I hold no qualifications to help. Hang in there mama it sounds like you've got a lot going on in life.I'm sure you're doing a great job with your little one and your baby is lucky to have you as a mom. You're already incredibly strong for recognizing and asking for help when you need it. I know this is just an online forum but please know that you're not alone in your struggle. We all hope you are able to find the resources that you need. Keep your head up and focus on the positive as much as possible.

Maybe call your OB and see if they can recommend anything.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    https://www.postpartum.net

Search this site. There are local support groups around the country, they might be able to find one in your area. Even if you can't find a counselor, talking to other moms who've been there may really help.

Good luck mama!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Found these in some of my go home papers!

• Options
    Have you informed your OB? My husband and I were told to contact her if either of us felt I may be experiencing PPD and they would help with short term trtreatment and help with long term arrangements.
  • Options
    I know my OB had flyers for PPD support groups hanging in each of the exam rooms. I'm sure they can help you.
  • Options
    All of this is great advice.

Not sure if this is whAt you're looking for but you could try something like blahtherapy.com or talkspace.com

Hope you find something thAt works and you feel better soon!!!
  • Options
    So sorry you are having a hard time. I actually spoke with my doctor about post partum and was prescribed something to help me out.
    What I didn't know was that the hospital I delivered at actually has post partum support groups and counselors on site, free of charge. You might want to look into that.
    I hope it gets better for you !
  • Options
    GoogleMD said:

Have you informed your OB? My husband and I were told to contact her if either of us felt I may be experiencing PPD and they would help with short term trtreatment and help with long term arrangements.

I told my OB at my PP appointment and he said he would give me a referral for a therapist once I found one my insurance would take. However my insurance doesn't cover any which is stupid, I contacted Medicaid which gave me the references I stated above but they have no available appointments any time soon. That was basically all the help my OB had to offer
  • Options

https://www.postpartum.net

Search this site. There are local support groups around the country, they might be able to find one in your area. Even if you can't find a counselor, talking to other moms who've been there may really help.

Good luck mama!!

This was really helpful, I'm going to contact some of the groups in my area. Thank you and thank you to everyone else that replied!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you're going through this.

There are some psychologists who will see patients for a reduced price if you just ask. About 5 years ago I had seen a psychologist once and then I told him I appreciated his help, but wouldn't be able to return due to the price. He asked me how much I could afford and I said $10/session. He agreed to that price for me. I would just call around. There are really good people in that field who just genuinely want to help.
  • Options
    I have no advice, being in the uk I have no idea how your insurance works. But I'm so sorry you've had such a rough time :'( and wanted to say that you're doing the right thing vocalising your struggle and looking for help x
  • Options
    sadyy131 said:

I had some baby blues in the beginning of my recovery, then they went away. In the past week I have lost two dear friends. One to suicide and another to a tragic accident. I am also starting to struggle a lot with the fact that my parents disowned me for having a child Unmarried. I am starting to struggle with a lot of anxiety and depression. My insurance does not cover mental health help. Since I have Medicaid I was able to get the numbers of three clinics that would take me for free, but they all don't have a appointment available until April. I am really struggling and need someone to talk to, but cannot afford to go to a regular conselor. I've tried to talk to friends/SO but it hasn't helped. I cannot expect them to know what to say because most of them have not been through this and aren't really trained mental health professionals. Does anyone know of any other resources available?

How about a support group? Churches usually have free ( or small donation required ) support groups. Perhaps one near you may have one for ppd or depression. Could help until you get an app in April.