May 2016 Moms
Options

Surgery during pregnancy

Has anyone had surgery during their pregnancy? I have an appointment Monday to see if I need to have my gallbladder removed, but I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. The pain keeps increasing each day. Very nervous about surgery while pregnant.

Re: Surgery during pregnancy

• Options
    I only know another's story. Because her appendix rupturing would cause certain harm, the risks of surgery were less than doing nothing. I believe the largest risk to baby in the anesthesia and after 24-48 hours you're out of the woods. Will be thinking of you.
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    I work in an OR and we only do surgery on pregnant women if it's an emergency. Anesthesia can be dangerous to the baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I too work in healthcare and I agree they usually don't do surgery on pregnant woman unless it's an emergency because of the proposed risk to baby. Although, I believe (if your hospital doesn't already insist on this) you can demand that you only go under if there is a prenatal/OB also in the room to monitor baby the entire time. This might ease your mind, then you have a doctor focused on YOU and a doctor dedicated to focusing on BABY! :) thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep us posted.
  • Options
    My cousin had her gallbladder removed when she was pregnant with her second baby. She did great and everyone is quite healthy now :) as pps have said, they don't do it unless they HAVE to, at least that's what she was told. I think she had someone from ob in with her to monitor the baby during the surgery as well. Prayers everything goes well for you!
  • Options
    My ex mil had her appendix out when she was almost 8 months pregnant with my exhusband. Everything turned out fine.
  • Options
    Echoing above, surgery will only happen if the drs think its necessary. Hugs, gall stones are awful.
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    See if you can meet with the anethsetist beforehand to discuss anesthesia options. There might be some things they can do to minimise (although not eliminate) risk
    Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016

• Options
    As my OB said to me today, "This is the time in the pregnancy when you are stable enough to have surgery or vacation to Europe."  (I know which one I would pick!)   Good Luck at your appt tomorrow.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    I have had abdominal surgery during pregnancy (late first tri). Things were 100% just fine with the baby.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! I feel much better about the situation. Unfortunately no answers today. They are going to do an ultrasound on Wednesday. They are pretty sure it is the gallbladder but they are not sure how bad it is yet. I will keep you updated!
  • Options
    Sorry you're going through this! I had my gallbladder removed last January as it was causing me a lot of issues (I had polyps and it was stuck in endometriosis, but we only found out that part after). We were about to start fertility treatments at the time but had to wait so I wouldn't end up having to take it out or having more issues while pregnant. I'd assume they'll need to work it a bit differently for you if they still do a laparoscopy as one of my keyholes is in (well should have been in, but is actually just under) my belly button. I took me a good week to recuperate then. I sincerely hope you don't have to go through this now, but if it's causing lots of pain and issues, it's probably better off that way. A friend of mine had issues during her pregnancy as well and ended up having it taken out soon after she gave birth. I guess it'll all depend on how bad the situation is for you. Good luck with the ultrasound!
  • Options
    Finally got my results from my ultrasound back and everything is normal. Looks like no surgery until after the baby is born! Great news! They can't do the test that gives more information until after. I'm so glad surgery is off the table for now though! Thanks for everyone thinking of me!
  • Options
    Great news! I'm guessing you'll have to do a HIDA scan? If so, not a fun test (mine took 2 hrs, and I also puked the Ensure they gave me). So much better not to have to do it now!
  • Options
    Yep that is the next step. I have heard it is a treat! Haha! I have a while to wait though
  • Options
    I had just gotten into a fight with my boss at the time. Believe me, two hours in a scanning machine without being allowed to move didn't turn out great for him...way too long to ruminate on what had pissed me off. And by some magic, I had a job offer from elsewhere in my inbox when I got out of there! But who knows, after birth, you may just enjoy that quiet time to sleep ;)