April 2015 Moms
Options

Postpartum depression and other perinatal mood disorders

Ok so I have been contemplating whether I wanted to post about this or not because I feel like I must be the only one out there, but from I hear these type of issues are common. I wanted to start a thread as a safe place where anyone dealing with these issues can go and get out their frustrations or anything on their minds. If you don't have anything nice to say, then please move along. Again I want this to be a safe place for everyone!

Me, personally... I am dealing with postpartum OCD. It started developing while I was pregnant and I made my OB aware of how I was feeling and the intrusive thoughts I was having (mine were triggered by the thought of germs-- the things you cannot fully control. Note I have never been a germaphobe before in my life). Unfortunately she just blamed it on an underlying condition I "must have had before getting pregnant". This was always so frustrating for me because I knew I wasn't this way before.... I didn't feel like myself. Once the baby came it got worse. I let the doctor know and tried some meds she prescribed that didn't work for me. I was even convinced that is was maybe just the hormones and would magically go away on its own. When I spoke to my OB about it she just told me "well this doesn't sound like postpartum depression so this must be an issue from before". She didn't once mention that there are other perinatal mood disorders that can happen and that they are quite common, and so it took me quite a while to realize what was going on.... Like this was a very recent discovery after reading an article that someone posted on Facebook about it. Now that I know what I am dealing with, I'm very optimistic and will be getting treatment after the start of the new year. I'm sure it will be a long road, but I just want my old self back again!

I will say I am lucky enough to where I have always felt love for my son and would NEVER do anything to harm him. Quite the opposite actually... I would do anything in my power to keep him safe. I'm pretty sure this is probably a factor contributing to my ocd though.

I apologize this is long... And possibly an over share. But I feel as though if there is anyone else from our group of April 2015 moms with any of these issues, it's nice to support each other!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Postpartum depression and other perinatal mood disorders

• Options
    I was diagnosed with depression in college and have been in and out of treatment since then. When I got pregnant last summer, I was out of treatment. During my second trimester, I began having symptoms again. I told my doctor and she put me on Zoloft. After I stopped breastfeeding, I was referred to a psychiatrist. 9 months post partum, I am still struggling some days but I have an awesome therapist and my DH is so supportive. I've never thought of harming my daughter but sometimes my connection to her is strained. I actively work on improving my attitude towards what motherhood means for our family. I know a lot of women struggle with keeping their identity intact. It really is a daily struggle. But it gets better.