Baby Names

following tradition dilemma

OrangeFoxOrangeFox member
edited January 2016 in Baby Names
So I am just a few weeks away from my due date and DH and I can't decide on a name. My biggest dilemma comes from tradition. My first name is S. But I am also the 5th generation of S. (Great-great grandma on down). My great grandma was the fifth daughter. Her older sister was told she could pick and name and picked her mom's name. 

When my parents named me the idea was that I would be called by my middle name. And I was. Until I was in kindergarten and I decided I wanted to go by S instead of my middle name. I don't remember this but evidently I told my teachers that I wanted to be called S. I've kind of gone by both names my whole life since. It has never seemed confusing or weird. My family calls me by my middle name and anyone I have met since the age of six calls me S (including husband, in-laws, professional, etc). 

But now I'm pregnant, with a girl. And the question is should I carry on the tradition???? I love my name. I always have. But I am VERY torn regarding naming my child after myself. What do you think? Here are my options:

A. Use S as a first name. Call her S. 
B. Use S as a first name. Call her by the middle name.
C. Use S as a middle name. 
D. Forget about tradition and use two altogether different names.

Re: following tradition dilemma

• I would do D or C and at least give her a name kind of her own

• Loading the player...
  • If you are unsure maybe go with making Sibyl as the middle name. And that way she could go by her FN or Sibyl. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Either C or D. You could always name a future daughter Sibyl if you have one and you're ready this time around.
  • Either C or D. You could always name a future daughter Sibyl if you have one and you're ready this time around.
    I am 99.9% sure that we won't have another child. If a medical miracle baby shows up down the road I suppose I could consider this option. :smiley: 
  • Either use it as a middle name or not at all. I feel that if you truly wanted to keep with tradition then this wouldn't be so difficult. It's okay not to use it if it doesn't feel right. Do you have any other names that you like? 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • To begin, I have to ask - what does your SO think? Does he care either way? Or does he have some name ideas of his own? While I love the idea of honoring family and traditions, if the both of you don't love it or love the name for your child, don't do it - leave it as a MN. It's also a pet peeve of mine when parents name their children something as a FN but refer to them as their MN. IMO, your first name is what you should be called first.
  • My husband doesn't care. He wants to have a say in the final name but is okay with using Sibyl if that's what I want. I think he would prefer not to call the baby Sibyl but doesn't mind using it as a first name.

Ultimately, he's very easy going and likes most all of the names left on my short list.
  • I am a fan of tradition, so I would name her Sybil, especially if I loved my name.
    I chose option C only because you don't seem to be sold on it as a first name, but I wouldn't want to stop the tradition altogether.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • I'd put it in the middle name spot.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• C or D

Sorry been drinking.
  • Another vote for the middle name spot!  My husband has always gone by his middle name and it's more of a pain than you might expect.
  • I think it should be her middle name.
  • B. Go with it! You know how many men name their sons after themselves!?! Why not women?
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Thanks for all the input. Seems like most people think middle name. I'm still undecided but appreciate the opinions.
  • I LOVE tradition and family history........so I pick B. Sounds like it worked well for you. 
  • B! Tradition

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Sibyl
    It's great!
    March 2011: Off Nuva, cycle back to "normal" for me: No periods since 15 years old. June 2011:Provera&50 mg Clomid; Progesterone:0.7 July 2011:Provera&100mg Clomid; Progesterone:3.29 Met with RE:No Clomid response, begin injectables Sep 5 mg Letrozole and Ovidrel in the interim month. Cut out running (was a distance-runner), cycling, eliptical. Restricted to weight-training, walking, pilates. Brain MRI normal. Being physically over-stressed is the reason the body stopped producing prog. Late Sep 2011: Menopur, Ovidrel,& IUI (10.10.11):BFN-Great injectable response: 2 mature, 6 near mature, many smaller; Problem: 9 cysts! Dr: IUI too uncontrolled for number of viable eggs & age. On to IVF! IVF ER 12.6: 37 mature eggs, 27 fertilized, froze all to avoid overstimulation; FET 1.22 (2 Grade 1)=BFN; FET 2.22 (3 Grade 2)=BFP! Beta 10dp3dt=291; 12dp3dt=644; HB 3.26!! 174 bpm: Vanishing twin almost completely absorbed 10wks Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm really not a fan of naming a kid after yourself. My husband and his dad have the same name and it's super annoying. He hates it! I vote middle naming it to keep it in the family plus it's lovely, but I really feel each kid deserves his/her own name.