February 2016 Moms

Breast pump

So I just found out that my insurance company will pay for a breast pump. My doctor has wrote me a prescription for one but now I have no idea where to go to get it filled or what brands are the best. Usually when a doctor writes you a prescription they give you exactly what he tells them to give you but for the breast pump there is no specific brand that we have to have. Does anybody have any suggestions on what is the best or where I can take this prescription to be filled to get the most options?

Re: Breast pump

• Google breast pump reviews from women who have used them. As for where to get one, Check your insurance company's website, they should have a page on breast pump providers. Or since you already have a Rx, probably any pharmacy has them. I do know my insurance (United Healthcare) and Target used to have that agreement but no longer do, though my Target pharmacy still carries breast pumps... I'm assuming for other providers or uninsured.

imageLilypie - (zxAe)

• Maybe call your insurance to ask about brands. My insurance had 3 specific ones that they use.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I will be getting the Spectra S2. It's hospital grade and the hospital lactation consultant raved about it. I wasn't a big fan of the Medela I had last time, but LOVED my Avent manual mostly for the comfort inserts on the flanges. The Spectra has them too, but they are sold separately and I will definitely be making that investment.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Your insurance will have a list of medical supply locations. I'm super irritated because I have to get a script from my doc and the places won't fill it until the baby comes. I just worry that if something happens and I have to pump right away, I'll have nothing. I'm going to try some more locations down in a bigger city to see if I can get it before. I hate having to wait.
  • maluevano said:

Your insurance will have a list of medical supply locations. I'm super irritated because I have to get a script from my doc and the places won't fill it until the baby comes. I just worry that if something happens and I have to pump right away, I'll have nothing. I'm going to try some more locations down in a bigger city to see if I can get it before. I hate having to wait.

Before insurance companies were required to cover breast pumps under ACA, mine would only reimburse me a certain amount after the baby was born as well. To bridge the gap in case mother needed to pump right away, they would cover pump rental from the hospital for up to 30 days. Maybe you can call your insurance and see if they will do something similar?

• All I had to do was go online and put in my insurance information and they showed me what I was approved for and then shipped it right to my house!
  • maluevano said:
    Your insurance will have a list of medical supply locations. I'm super irritated because I have to get a script from my doc and the places won't fill it until the baby comes. I just worry that if something happens and I have to pump right away, I'll have nothing. I'm going to try some more locations down in a bigger city to see if I can get it before. I hate having to wait.
    This is mine too and with twins on the way I really want to have it already. I worry about nicu time where I'll just have to use my manual I guess.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yes, call your insurance company for who and what they will cover. Mine gave me about 5 different places (medical supply companies) to try (most were local, one online) and dollar amounts etc that they will cover. I went to a few different places and it seemed they all had varying selections, one didn't carry Medela at all and one only carried an upgrade Medela along with some other basic ones I've never heard of. I think some places do that so that you will upgrade and they make some more money off of you (out of pocket). I have BCBS and they do not allow you to go to Target or babiesrus so certainly call the insurance company and check around to different medical supply companies to see what your options are. Do your research since pumps are not typically returnable. I just ordered my Medela pump (I had a Medela last time that worked very well for me so I wanted to stick with the same kind) from Byrams Healthcare and I'm just waiting to see if its approved now.
  • My insurance (tricare) gave us a list of places commonly used and how to contact them. The modela double pump is highly recommended (or has been to me) and we have no price cap as far as pumps so I'm taking my RX to target to get it this weekend.
  • Call your insurance company and if they give you the option to get it at a normal retail store over an online medical supplier, do that. There have been reports that the pumps you get through insurance companies (usually from behind the pharmacy counter or through online suppliers) are not as good and they may have different motors that don't work as well as those you buy off the shelf. I have Oxford and they give the choice of ordering from a choice if three online providers or going to Target and picking one off the shelf and bringing to pharmacy. I will definitely be choosing the Target option. I heard Medela Freestyle was a good choice.
    Me: 36 DH: 36
    Married: October 2011
    DS: January 2016
    DS: May 2019
    #3: April 2022
  • @BabySeaTurtles I will look into that. I mean, ideally, I won't need to use it for a while. But I'm so OCD I hate not having it ready. If not, I could always get a cheap manual pump in the meantime.

Just hate the hoop jumping. I have enough sh** to deal with right now.
  • nishaveljinishavelji member
    edited January 2016
    Hello ladies, just a heads up Target Pharmacy is no longer in contract with United Healthcare (or any insurance) to sell breast pumps as a prescription. They stopped as of December 1st, being that they are officially CVS pharmacy now.
  • Hello ladies, just a heads up Target Pharmacy is no longer in contract with United Healthcare (or any insurance) to sell breast pumps as a prescription. They stopped as of December 1st, being that they are officially CVS pharmacy now.

I just spoke with them today. They're still servicing tricare. Or at least they're servicing me!
  • I liked my Avent double electric pump.
  • Hello ladies, just a heads up Target Pharmacy is no longer in contract with United Healthcare (or any insurance) to sell breast pumps as a prescription. They stopped as of December 1st, being that they are officially CVS pharmacy now.

Hello ladies, just a heads up Target Pharmacy is no longer in contract with United Healthcare (or any insurance) to sell breast pumps as a prescription. They stopped as of December 1st, being that they are officially CVS pharmacy now.

I haven't heard this either and spoke to Oxford not long ago at all. I'll call them tomorrow to check.
    Me: 36 DH: 36
    Married: October 2011
    DS: January 2016
    DS: May 2019
    #3: April 2022
  • My insurance company is private through the school district I work for. It was a giant pain trying to get information about it and I felt like I was the first and only one going through it. I had a few different numbers on my insurance card and I called both and write down everything they told me. Of course, not all of the information was accurate. I made an unnecessary trip to one distributor without having to and they were closed. I called one day and spoke to someone at the distributor and they were super helpful! She took all of my info over the phone so that when baby is born I don't have to worry about it. I can just call and tell them who is picking it up and they said they may even be able to deliver it to the hospital. Totally worth the $300 in savings! Good luck!
  • I got mine through Babies R Us. There is a phone number in their welcome packet. The company takes all your information, calls the insurance company, and sends you an e-mail with the pumps your insurance will cover. Then you tell them which one you want, send a pic of your prescription, and they mail it out to you. Mine was on my front steps the day after I called.
  • @camusoh2011 you won't have to use your manual pumping if your babes are in the NICU. Most hospitals with a NICU will have hospital grade pumps you can use. They're not too terribly expensive to rent for home (and your insurance may cover with an rx) and you'll want to be using a double electric.

• I would actually suggest AeroFlow. I got my breast pump through them after a frustrating call to my insurance company about how to get my breast pumps. While the insurance (BCBS) rep was able to tell me which base pumps they cover, they had no idea about upgrades or additions or whether or not I would need a Rx. I used AeroFlow and the next day I got a phone call and email from their rep with a list of pumps that are covered, along with any additional costs for upgraded packages (e.g. I got the ameda purely yours ultra which came with a travel bag, small cooler and storage bottles) and they took care of it. Once I made my selection it only took a day to receive.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a great experience using yummymummystore.com. I was able to order online and they were able to tell me exactly which pumps my insurance would cover. I went with the spectra s2 after lots of great online and friend reviews. My insurance allowed them to ship the pump as long as it was 60 days or less before my due date.
  • @cole118 I just ordered mine online through yummymummy and had already planned on going with the spectra as well. Did they give you an expected arrival date? Also, FYI they make a comfort insert for the flanges on the spectra that I plan to get. Makes it very similar to the Avent Comfort pump which I have as a manual and LOVE!!

• Thanks @camusoh2011 -- I'll look into the comfort insert! I've heard about it but haven't ordered it yet. I ordered the pump back in November and it arrived mid-December.  The order confirmation said the ship date was based on insurance approval timing. So I would think the order fulfillment would be quicker closer to delivery.
  • If you have tricare go to pumpingessentials.com and type in the information. You get to pick any of the pumps. I picked the medela in style one.

Going through tricare with the doc on base is a headache...only thing you get to chose is electric or manual.
  • Get in touch with your insurance company, they will send you info on what brands and pump types they cover. That will narrow it down pretty good for you.

View Full Size Image

Pregnancy Ticker

Losses:
     7/16/2014 @ 7 Weeks 2 days
     2/01/2015 @ 4 Weeks 4 days

• I did mine through AeroFlow online as well. Very easy and simple they do all the paperwork and dealing with insurance company i got my breast pump withing a week.
  • kalenvan said:

If you have tricare go to pumpingessentials.com and type in the information. You get to pick any of the pumps. I picked the medela in style one.

Going through tricare with the doc on base is a headache...only thing you get to chose is electric or manual.

Thank you for this!! I was just given the packet and called tricare to make sure it was all good to go. Made "appointments" at the stores they give us on the sheet and everyone confused me so I haven't done it yet. I will be trying this way tomorrow!
    That's also the pump I was looking at but didn't know if it was fully covered. So few people have tricare it's hard to get advice
  • kalenvan said:

If you have tricare go to pumpingessentials.com and type in the information. You get to pick any of the pumps. I picked the medela in style one.

Thank you for this!! I was just given the packet and called tricare to make sure it was all good to go. Made "appointments" at the stores they give us on the sheet and everyone confused me so I haven't done it yet. I will be trying this way tomorrow!
    That's also the pump I was looking at but didn't know if it was fully covered. So few people have tricare it's hard to get advice

It was super easy! I called my doctor and she faxed the rx to pumping essentials and a few hours later I get a confirmation email that it was received and I will be getting the pump in 3-5 days