April 2016 Moms
Options

Anyone Else Going the Cheap Route?

After looking through the posts on diaper bags and strollers I am left feeling like a cheapskate! I have been scouring the internet for deals, talking with friends and my husbands coworkers to get hand me downs, and meeting up with strangers from Craigslist on a weekly basis to line up the cheapest baby items possible. 

I have 2 giant diaper boxes full of newborn and 0-3 clothing and some newborn disposable diapers that came from one of my husbands coworkers. Most of the clothes are for a boy and we are team green so they may or may not work out, but quite a few of them will work for a girl or a boy and who says little girls can't wear trains and dragons sleepers? The same coworker is going to give us a couple boxes of 3-6 mo clothing as well once her grandson grows out of it. I also got our crib, a baby monitor, a bassinet, and a stroller all for free. They were all items that my brother and SIL were going to either throw away or simply leave at their last house when they moved so I scooped them up (with their permission of course). 

I found and purchased a closed system breast pump for $20 from a woman on craigslist. She quit pumping day 2 after returning to work because she was already supplementing with formula and didn't want to be hooked to a pump 3 times a day, so it has run less than 2 hours. The personal accessories kit runs anywhere between $40 and $60 but for $80 I essentially have a brand new pump. I also bought a solid oak highchair for $50 that is in perfect condition. I bought it from grandparents that said they bought it new and had used it when their grandson was over a handful of times. 

I was also just looking at Amazon and found the car seat that goes with the stroller I already have for $81 through Amazon Warehouse. It's $20 cheaper because the box has been damaged, but the seat is in perfect condition. In case I do find a problem with it, they offer free returns so how can I go wrong? 

Does anyone else have any websites or places they like to go to find good used baby items? I am all about getting by as cheap as possible and love finding good deals! 

Re: Anyone Else Going the Cheap Route?

• Options
    Well being a student, I also have to be a cheapskate. Certain items I insist on buying from new, but I've been very good at managing how much money we're spending. Flea markets here in Europe are a big thing so I managed to find a lot of unused stuff for the fraction of the price there like a travel crib, high chair, baby bath tub, baby alarm, pregnancy books and clothes.

Also found a Philips Avent unused breast pump for less than half the price of a new that my sister gifted me and bought new mattresses and blankets and bed sheet during the after Christmas sales we had here where everything was for half the price. Shops here gift you a pack of diapers and other baby items when you tell them you're pregnant and I've managed to collect around 10 big packs of diapers in two sizes, baby shampoo and lotions, pacifiers, bottles, onesies, toys, wet wipes etc from those boxes.

Now I'm on the hunt for a used stroller :D

• Options
    As long as the safety reliability of the item hasn't been compromised I don't see the problem in finding good deals. I would just do your due diligence in checking out the items before purchasing, especially off craigslist where people can lie just make more bang for their buck. Check safety , if item was recalled, sanitation of item etc
    Sounds like you've found some great deals!
    I've personally been searching Craigslist for a nice rocking chair. I would like one for BFing and helping put LO to sleep
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't call it cheap - I like to say I'm thrifty. Could I afford to spend more than $10 on a stroller? Absolutely, but why would I pass up a perfectly good $10 stroller? I am buying a new crib, simply because I inherited a small amount of money when my gram passed, so my new $130 crib will be LO's gift from her great-grandma. Otherwise, I'm getting everything as cheap as possible, because I'd rather out the money saved into an account for LO to go to college than spend it on things she won't remember. Just remember to check everything for safety standards.

If you are handy, I suggest Pinterest for ideas on what you can make LO. I'm using today to scout good deals on materials for things like swaddle blankets and crib sheets, because Most places have great end-of-year deals. Craigslist is good for things like strollers and high chairs that you can really get your hands on and ensure their safety, but I always take DH with me to meet people because my city is a bit unsafe. Look into blogs on diaper stockpiling and scour thrift stores, garage sales, and flea markets if your area offers any.
  • Options
    I have been doing a combination of both but there are some things I just refuse to buy used. Thankfully my health insurance covers the pump that I want. I haven't found a deal on a convertible car seat that I like unfortunately. I missed the Chicco deal at target

Me- 25,DH-28

Anniversary

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I've been getting stuff from my local buy sell trade page on Facebook. I also haven't bought any clothes (team green). I figure I'll get enough to start with at the baby shower or I can borrow from my sister if necessary in the beginning ( she has a little boy but I'm not concerned about boy clothes vs girl clothes, especially that young). April is when garage sales start in m area so I figure I can get the rest of the clothes I'll need from them.

Other than that, I'm mostly just waiting to see what I get from the shower.

Again my sister just had her son this past April and she has already loaned me some stuff- momaroo, bassinet etc.
    DS born on 4/16/16

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My dh and I found a great stroller for 5 bucks at our local fleamarket, my best friend is loaning their bassinet and my boss has brought me loads of clothes for LO. I'm able to order pampers through the hospital I work at for a fraction of the cost.
  • Options
    I've been buying Cloth diapers on sale (haven't paid more than $12 each) as well as disposables when I see a REALLY good deal. I got the bassinet at a yard sale for $15. It's blue and I'm having a girl but it's really nice and it was only $15! Everything I've purchased thus far has been on a really great sale or clearance. The most expensive thing I've gotten was the crib and I only paid $140 on Cyber Monday. I had a mini argument with my brother because he wanted me to put the $400 Graco Modes travel system on my registry because he's planning to buy my travel system for us but I had a $250 Evenflo system on there. I didn't want the $400 system. It was nice and fancy but not practical for our use. Also, I got the highchair for $20 at Target because the Cartwheel app had 40% off a particular print that happened to be on Clearance. It wasn't the print I wanted but same highchair otherwise. Baby wont give a shit what color it is. lol
  • Options
    yodiggity said:

I've been buying Cloth diapers on sale (haven't paid more than $12 each) as well as disposables when I see a REALLY good deal. I got the bassinet at a yard sale for $15. It's blue and I'm having a girl but it's really nice and it was only $15! Everything I've purchased thus far has been on a really great sale or clearance. The most expensive thing I've gotten was the crib and I only paid $140 on Cyber Monday. I had a mini argument with my brother because he wanted me to put the $400 Graco Modes travel system on my registry because he's planning to buy my travel system for us but I had a $250 Evenflo system on there. I didn't want the $400 system. It was nice and fancy but not practical for our use. Also, I got the highchair for $20 at Target because the Cartwheel app had 40% off a particular print that happened to be on Clearance. It wasn't the print I wanted but same highchair otherwise. Baby wont give a shit what color it is. lol

Exactly this - she won't care and, personally, I'll just see new sheets/covers for anything that's really ugly ;)
  • Options
    I bought a pink bassinet sheet so that in pictures she's laying on a pink sheet. :smile: 

• Options
    Nothing wrong with being thrifty, I actually think it's wise as baby will only spit up over most everything and doesn't care at all what it looks like. One piece of advice though - do you have medical insurance? If so, it's required to cover your pump. It will be brand new and even with a copay should cost less after you buy the accessory pieces you need. I think I got a $300 pump for around a $35 copay brand new.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    I think some baby items are worth paying for quality (stroller), and others not so much (clothes). But more expensive high-quality items can often be found gently used if the time and effort are worth it to you. I would recommend local mom boards/groups.
  • Options
    I'm on the same page as a lot of other mommas here in that there are some things I will only buy new, but plenty that I would gladly buy used. Car seats are a new-only for me. It's something I know I will be using now and hopefully again in the future, so I will pay extra to get exactly what I want and know it's safe. Strollers I can go either way with, I just happened to find one I really liked at a fair new price. I think designer diaper bags are kind of silly, but if that's where someone wants to put their money it doesn't hurt me and is not any of my business. I got a 99$ crib and am doing the nursery for fairly cheap, upcycling/returning old furniture to make it what I want. Very slowly am I scooping up deals on clothing, etc, clearance only at this point. I'm looking for sales always. Probably won't be having any type of shower this time around so I'm prioritizing what I need and buying when I find a deal. Also, insurance has to cover a pump! If they don't cover something that works for me, my FSA will. I would have a really hard time buying a personal use one used unless I knew the person, but that's just me. I have to do a 100$ FSA spend down today so I'm probably going to buy some eligible BF supplies or baby items to eat up that cost so I don't lose it. I think your method is just fine! Kids are expensive!
  • Options
    I was lucky that I received so many items at my baby showers. With our first, we were on a tight budget and the generosity of others was much appreciated. Now, even though we are no longer on a budget, I only buy clearance or resale. And, I try to be very generous when it comes to others' baby showers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I saw "going the cheap route" for the title and I was thinking to myself this is so me! I love deals and while I'm not an avid coupon fan, I still clip them. Anywhere I'm saving money I'm doing it. The crib I have for my 2 year old was a gift from MH's family, and this Christmas I got her a Bubble Guppies toddler bed for $20 brand new from a deal from Toys R Us! I'm also happy she's a Bubble Guppies fan so she loves her new bed. I've got most of her clothes from Once Upon a Child because she outgrows things FAST. Otherwise they're Garanimals (lol) or Circo from Target. I only keep 1 pair of shoes for her because she's only in them for a month before she grows out of them. I'm on the local B/S/T sites on facebook so I always keep an eye out for baby clothes that are sold cheap by the lot that people are just looking to get rid of. I was given a diaper bag from DD's baby shower more than 2 years ago and it's still holding up quite well. It's a neutral color so I am in no need of another one. My aunt & uncle has a little boy the same age as DD so they said they'd give me all his clothes when he grows out of them.

I did mention in a previous post that I got a travel system for $125 brand new from Walmart. It was DD's but I got it in neutral color in case I have another kid and it would be a boy, which happens to be the case. So I already have an infant car seat. We already have two convertible car seats, was going to be one for each car because installing the car seat whenever we're switching vehicles is a PITA. I got my car seats for $25 each brand new from a car seat safety program at our clinic. They have a grant funded program where you attend an educational session on how to properly install the car seat and how to properly strap in baby and they will install the car seat and at that time you pay $25 for the seat.

I like looking for ways to save money - I think it's fun. It's almost like a hobby. I like going to Goodwill and Dollar Tree, but most of the time I don't come out with anything because I can't justify I'll actually use it. However I do find quite a bit of good storage organization things there which helps keeping my toddler organized. I'm also teaching my 17 year old ways to save money and the value of a dollar and I think it's neat she's taking an interest to it.

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    @rebelone yes yes yes - everything I'm purchasing is neutral, partially because I hate that everything for little girls is pink and frilly and partially because I don't plan on getting rid of anything until I'm done having kids. I just got a year's worth of hand-me-down clothes, and I found about 6 outfits that weren't pink...but free is free.
  • Options
    rebelonerebelone member
    edited December 2015

I also have a nice Fisher Price Cradle Swing my aunt gave me that her sister gave her. It's really nice and DD loved it. I saved it so DS will be in it too. It's pink though. He won't mind.

• Options
    I can go both ways. I don't mine spending money on certain things but I also love scouring for deals. I base most of my purchases on utility and keeping purchases to a minimum. For example, my crib, high chair and bouncer can be used from birth to toddler. I prefer diaper bag organizers over a dedicated diaper bag. Less is more!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I feel like there's a difference between being a 'cheapskate' and being 'smart'.  Don't get me wrong, there is nothing at all wrong with splurging on your baby-to-be, but we have tried to be very cost effective with this baby.
    For one, I purchased my crib used - granted, it was $500 and originally a $1600 crib, it was just the one I wanted.
    As for the rest of the nursery furniture, other than a glider we've re-purposed everything.  My husband made the changing pad frame and we're using an old refinished desk for the table.  The children's armoire was an antique my sister refinished for me.  Other than decorative pieces, we haven't had to purchase furniture items that will be obsolete once he's a toddler.
    Once we have our baby shower and see what we get as gifts, anything else we might need to purchase will probably be purchased through a child resale store unless it's something we'd rather not have pre-owned.
  • Options
    I think your being smart. Kids grow so fast they hardly have a chance to use things so no point in going spend crazy.

If you want another place to buy stuff look for a local moms resale page on Facebook. I love the one I'm in and I used it a lot for DS and getting the best deals.
  • Options
    For sanitary reasons, make sure to get new accessories and tubing for the pump. You should also be able to get a pump for free through your health insurance, so call them and ask about that. You can get the pump starting at 30 days before your EDD and I don't remember how long after baby is born.

I'm going super cheap and just reusing all of my stuff from DS1, since the boys won't even be 2 years apart when LO is born.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    I still have my pump from 2 years ago through my insurance. I hope I can get another one from my insurance and I hope it's something different from Ameda because that pump was garbage. If they tell me I have to get Ameda again I'll get one used Medela from a B/S/T group or something. But yes get new tubing and shields for sanitary purposes.

• Options
    I pretty much always go the cheap route. It almost hurts me to spend money in a way haha. There are some things I believe are investments and worth more money, but I have a hard time justifying baby items in that camp. Most items are used for such a short time that I just can't pull the trigger. No side eye to those that do like DH, but it's not my style.
  • Options
    To all those concerned with buying a used breast pump, I totally understand where you are coming from. Most people have only purchased single user pumps with open systems with the primary culprit being Medela. This type of pump is not what I purchased though. I bought a closed system so no contamination from previous users can come in contact with the breast milk that I will be pumping so long as I replace the filter, flanges, tubing, collection bottles, etc. This is a direct quote from the below website if you are interested, " Designed to be safe for use by multiple users when each user has their own Personal Accessory Set." 
    https://store.hygeiahealth.com/Double-Electric-Pumps-Breast-Pumps/b/10668388011?ie=UTF8&title=Double+Electric+Pumps

Now, don't get me wrong, I totally understand how some people still may not be comfortable using a used breast pump, and to each their own, but this was the best option for me. Yes, I do have insurance, but they will only cover a manual pump (because as I recently found out my insurance company apparently hates and doesn't want to pay for babies) and I don't have the time or the hand strength to use a manual pump every single day. I also didn't want to spend the $300 on a new Medela pump but I would have purchased the used pump that I bought brand new for the same $300 because I could have at least recouped some of our money when I was done with it...assuming it was still working properly. 

I also agree that you should always check for recalls and any issues with used items that can be a safety concern. Since I can't ensure the safety of used car seats I will be buying that new although there is a small hole in the box which is saving me some money on that. I am also insisting that my parents buy a new crib mattress because I don't need any creepy crawlies in LO's mattress nor do I need a dirty mattress in my home. It just grosses me out. 

Thank you all for your responses though! I'm happy to see that I'm not the only cheapskate/thrifter/penny pincher in the group! ;) 
  • Options
    Yes! I try saving money wherever I can. I'll only spend full price if there's something important that I really want and can't find it anywhere else cheaply. There was a baby rocker that I really wanted, but I couldn't stomach the $70 price amazon is charging. I found the exact thing I wanted, in near-perfect condition, for only $20 at my local baby consignment store. I was so happy that day. :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    rebelone said:

I still have my pump from 2 years ago through my insurance. I hope I can get another one from my insurance and I hope it's something different from Ameda because that pump was garbage. If they tell me I have to get Ameda again I'll get one used Medela from a B/S/T group or something. But yes get new tubing and shields for sanitary purposes.

You can also ask them if you can go out, buy your own pump, and have them reimburse you. Sometimes they'll go for that instead of mailing you a pump because you picked something less expensive.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker