Baby Names
Options

Popularity of Names

Hi Ladies:

Our province has released its top 10 baby list for 2015. Our preferred name is #4 which is Charlotte. People keep saying it's everywhere and they're over it but we loved it before it was cool (way before). Sooo basically what are your thoughts on this situation.

Our province has a population of nearly a million, 1/2 of which live in the capital (where we live). The #1 girl name for 2015 was Ava with 64 baby girls names Ava... when you think of a million person population do you all think Ava is super popular still? I guess I'm trying to rationalize using Charlotte but the scenario that keeps playing in my heads is that there are 287 elementary schools in the province with 64 Ava's entering the school world in 2020 there (in theory) shouldn't be 3+ Ava's in each class. And that's for the #1

Am I too worried about a name being popular? I'm a Jennifer from the 80s and only had one other Jennifer in my class until junior high/high school so I'm sensitive to the subject but I have a feeling I might be over analyzing.

As you can tell I <3 stats and work for the government so I have access to lots of data Mwwhaha. Would it be weird to ask how many Charlotte's were born in our area in 2015? Maybe I'm freaking out about popularity and there was like 30.

Re: Popularity of Names

• Options
    If you like the name, go for it! It's popular for a reason. Charlotte is so timeless and beautiful. It will always be a great name. It's likely that if you choose it, there may be another in her class but only you can decide how much that would bother you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I struggle with the exact same thing (naming our girl Emma) and have come to the same conclusion as above poster.  If it's a classic/not trendy name, I figure you cannot go wrong.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have a Charlotte. She is 2 1/2. We are starting to run into more and more babies with the same name, and I can't help but wish that we had chosen something else. I chose it because I had always loved the name and I wanted something classic. Now I'm worried that it's going to be her generation's Jessica or Britney (not hating on those names... Just saying there were a lot of those in every class).

We are having a second in June. I'll be looking for a name out of the top 50.

Either way, it's a beautiful name! Go with your gut!
  • Options
    I honestly wouldn't worry about popularity. I understand that you don't want your child to be the one of 10 in their class or something. I think if you both love the name then go for it. All the popularity and trends change so much that I wouldn't worry. Go for it! Charlotte is a nice name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a 1984 Jennifer and have taught elem school for 10 years. I wouldn't use a name in my state's top 10. Those are the names that seem extremely popular, not 1984 Jennifer popular, but still just too overdone for my taste.

I think the only "classic, timeless" names are names like Elizabeth, Emily, Abigail that have been in the top 20 for the last 20+ years. Charlotte has skyrocketed in the last 5 years and is still trendy. It's an old name, but it wasn't common at all in our generation. I think names can be classic and trendy at the same time.
  • Options
    @mamawren919 dare I ask........thoughts on Emma?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I'm a 1984 Jennifer and have taught elem school for 10 years. I wouldn't use a name in my state's top 10. Those are the names that seem extremely popular, not 1984 Jennifer popular, but still just too overdone for my taste.

I think the only "classic, timeless" names are names like Elizabeth, Emily, Abigail that have been in the top 20 for the last 20+ years. Charlotte has skyrocketed in the last 5 years and is still trendy. It's an old name, but it wasn't common at all in our generation. I think names can be classic and trendy at the same time.

^^This minus me being a Jennifer :smile:

We took Ava off of our list (it was my #1) because of popularity... I didn't want our LO to always be Ava M. We changed to a name that was out of the top 30.

However, we are going to name this LO William if it's a boy because IMO William is a classic, timeless name that will never be dated. It is also my fathers name.

I think Charlotte is a timeless, classic name but is gaining in popularity because of Princess Charlotte. It will be popular, but it won't be dated.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    If you love the name, pick it. I honestly only know of one baby girl named Charlotte. I know 0 Ava's. My son also does/did not have a Charlotte in his grade (kinder and first) or even in his sports activity.
  • Options
    I think the lesson here is don't look at stats if you like your name! :)

We chose Evelyn, knowing few other people with kids, then two weeks before the due date found out it was in the top 20! We stuck with it anyway. I'm hoping it's considered classic and not trendy but not much we can do now!

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!

@MamaWren919 I'm also a 1984 Jennifer and my maiden name was smith... totally not sketch to put that out there because there's literally a million of me. 2 in my high school (of 1200 so not bad) and 3 in my 20K population university plus one prof that shared my name. Yeah it sucked til my last name became a smidge more unique.

@mollie2383 that's exactly what I'm worried about being super trendy and dated. We're still considering other names but husband loves it.

FYI my friend works in the stats office and figured out the numbers for me...there were 39 Charlotte's born this year in our province. So my concern about her being "one of many" might not be so worrisome.

Our nearly 2 year old is Oliver which has also become trendy and popular but it's a name inspired by one of my husband's favourite songs and one of my fav history personalities.. so we said "ehh it's top 15" when he was born and now is pretty popular.

I guess if our kids names turn out trendy we'll just let them know their origins.
  • Options
    Seriously? You're worried about the popularity of a name in a province with a population of 1 million? Try living in a city with a population of 4 million, within a county population of 9 million.... I think you're over thinking it.

Use the name you love, regardless of popularity. 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Something I've noticed from looking at the percentages on the social security names lists is that even the most popular names aren't used as much (on as many babies) as they used to be, so it can be misleading. For example, in the US in 2014, The 3 most popular names were Emma (1.0729% of total females born), Olivia (1.0149%) and Sophia (0.9538%). In 1980, the 3 most popular names were Jennifer (3.2799%), Amanda (2.0123%), and Jessica (1.9055%). The most used girls name today had a percentage equal to the 10th most used girl name in 1980. With access to the internet, I think people are using more names and also more aware of popularity so even the most used names aren't as used as they used to be. Go back to 1950 and the top girl names were even higher at 4.57% for #1. 

^^ This

Names are becoming more diversified so it's not *as* bad when you're thinking trendy. Charlotte's a funny one because it's in the "trend" of older, classic names (Ava, Sophia etc). These were not really used as much as the "always popular names (Elizabeth, Anne, etc). It's still a classic name but it's part of a trend as well.

Hard numbers:
    Nationally in 2014 there were 10,048 Charlottes born in the US nationally which represented ~0.6% of children born. Charlotte was ranked 10th most popular girls name (nationally)

Conversely

Sarah (Rank 50) there were 4,647 born which represented ~0.25% of children born.

They're both "popular" and by number there is a large difference between the two. There are definitely more Charlottes being named and there will be more of them in a group of children (which is a smaller group than the general population with a statistically higher proportion of Charlottes). The chances of having 5 Charlottes in a single class? Unlikely compared to the 1980s/1990s. There may be 2-3 in a cohort, though.
    Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016

• Options
    @Sassenach1743 more so just provided those numbers for context... in theory a city of 4 million should have similar ratios for popular names. The smallest province in Canada (PEI) had like 6 names tied for number 1 but only 5 babies on the island shared each name. Sloooow birth rate haha

I think the point were diversifying names these days. I tried to stick with Canadian numbers which its hard to find specific stats on beyound top 10 lists because there's such a varying degree of names regionally. Apparently there were 38 Sadie's born this year in my province, making it the #5 name. But the most recent SSA stats had it at 52 in 2014.

• Options

@mamawren919 dare I ask........thoughts on Emma?

You don't have to worry about any name having 5 in her class. That just doesn't happen. There might be 2-3 with the same name in a class/circle of friends. Emma is one of those names, at least in my area. Emma, Anna, and Ava are all top 10 in my state and they kind of run together too. I think that's something to consider.

There were 3 Jennifers in my circle of friends, and it was super annoying because I was always "Jennifer last name." I think it's the same with names that sound like a lot of other names. If I have a Haley, Baylee, and Kayley in my class, they might as well be the same name.

• Options
    I've always worked to avoid Top 10 names, even if I liked them. I grew up with the #1 name for my birth year and I really hated have numerous other kids in my class with the same name. I felt like it took away a part of my "special-ness" as a kid, if that makes ANY sense. 

• Options
    I've loved the name Harper even before it was popular. It's on our girls list, and while I have some hesitation using a popular name and looking like I am jumping on the bandwagon, I also don't care. DH and I both really like it, and it fits our style. So if this is a girl (will find out tonight) it's up there for us along with Brooke and Kate. If you love a name, use it.

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    @yogahh Harper isn't our style but I LOOOVE the name on others. It seems to be popular in the US but not around here. I love the name Harper Kate.
  • Options
    @yogahh Harper isn't our style but I LOOOVE the name on others. It seems to be popular in the US but not around here. I love the name Harper Kate.

Me too!!!

cat fail animated GIF