February 2016 Moms
Options

Thoughts about ear piercing...

2»

Re: Thoughts about ear piercing...

• Options
    Working in a hospital and being in the emergency department as a RN. I've seen so many little girls come in for a couple stitches on a ear lobe. From playing around their earings were ripped out. Just something to think about! I know more cultures do it then others, but I believe its best to wait till they can ask for them to be done. Nothing worst then a 2 year old in the ER screaming with a bloody ear needing stitches. Or I've seen a few times the ear lobe swell over the earing from improper care/infection, and from becominf allergic to metals after the first couple of years.
  • Options
    It's ip to you. I know a bunch of people who had their lo's ears pieced and a bunch who are waiting
    We chose to wait because I don't want her to be allergic like I am and have her ears be messed up
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly I'm having a girl and hadn't thought about it. I had mine pierced as a baby and kept losing earrings so my parents let me holes close. I didn't have the courage to go until I was about 8 (I went on two different occasions and cried and we had to leave bc I was scared of needles) I went on to get second, third and cartilage piercings in high school but I wish my parents had kept my baby holes. I will likely get my daughters pierced and if she doesn't like them she can take them out!
  • Options
    egraves4egraves4 member
    edited December 2015
    @baya5 I had an allergy when I was younger (I could only wear the hypoallergenic) otherwise my ears would bleed. Then when I got older if went away, I don't know.

@thisusername I'm the same way. I just counted, I had 10 at one point, and I allowed all to close up other than my 2 lobes on both ears, my cartilage, and then my belly button... Which I took out last summer and it just never closed up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• Options
    I'm in the same boat as the two ladies who posted about theirs being done as infants. I feel as though I never had problems with mine, though my friends did. I can go months without wearing earrings and they won't close.
  • Options
    Can I ask a serious question? It hasn't happened on this post (thank goodness!) but why do some moms get so offended over what other moms do with their own children? This whole BMB seems pretty level headed as far as that goes but I know it's always really precautionary when we do discuss topics like this. I just don't get why someone else's child/choices matters to them?

That being said, I REALLY enjoy being able to have these controversial conversations and see insights into both sides! I love seeing everyone's opinions, thanks for this post!
  • Options
    Can I ask a serious question? It hasn't happened on this post (thank goodness!) but why do some moms get so offended over what other moms do with their own children? This whole BMB seems pretty level headed as far as that goes but I know it's always really precautionary when we do discuss topics like this. I just don't get why someone else's child/choices matters to them? That being said, I REALLY enjoy being able to have these controversial conversations and see insights into both sides! I love seeing everyone's opinions, thanks for this post!
    Probably it's for self-justification. Like...I feel like I'm right, but if that other mom thinks she's right then maybe I'm not as right as I thought.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Can I ask a serious question? It hasn't happened on this post (thank goodness!) but why do some moms get so offended over what other moms do with their own children? This whole BMB seems pretty level headed as far as that goes but I know it's always really precautionary when we do discuss topics like this. I just don't get why someone else's child/choices matters to them? That being said, I REALLY enjoy being able to have these controversial conversations and see insights into both sides! I love seeing everyone's opinions, thanks for this post!
    Probably it's for self-justification. Like...I feel like I'm right, but if that other mom thinks she's right then maybe I'm not as right as I thought.
    Word! Mom judging is a big thing. I was definitely guilty of it a bit before I had kids and even after my first. But once I had been in the trenches for awhile I realized it just makes more sense to try to work together. Having kids is really hard! If someone is doing something to harm their child, then yeah I feel a responsibility to get involved. Otherwise, I just accept that we're all different people who are just doing the best we can.

• Options
    I asked for them at 6 or 7 and all I remember was the pain . I can only wear gold because everything else makes my ears itch terribly! I'm undecided at the moment but it does makes more sense to me to get it done when my daughter is less likely to remember the pain. I don't know if I'll follow through though.
  • Options
    In cases like this it is a body modification. Perhaps one accepted or normalized by society, but still a modification you are permanently doing to baby without their choice. Some people take that more seriously than others.
  • Options
    Achae said:

Can I ask a serious question? It hasn't happened on this post (thank goodness!) but why do some moms get so offended over what other moms do with their own children? This whole BMB seems pretty level headed as far as that goes but I know it's always really precautionary when we do discuss topics like this. I just don't get why someone else's child/choices matters to them?

That being said, I REALLY enjoy being able to have these controversial conversations and see insights into both sides! I love seeing everyone's opinions, thanks for this post!

In cases like this it is a body modification. Perhaps one accepted or normalized by society, but still a modification you are permanently doing to baby without their choice. Some people take that more seriously than others.

But it's not permanent.

• Options

Like everything in life, everyone has an opinion on what other people do, it just gets kinda intense in Mama world sometimes. I was guilty of it pre kids but now I VERY much try and live by the "not my monkeys, not my circus" motto. Parenting is dang hard some days and if people would a little kinder to that Mama at the store with the kid in meltdown mode or stop judging a Mama who is making a formula bottle in public then maybe it might all be a little easier. Until you know their path and their story you kinda don't get a place to judge and even then as long as they do what they believe is in the best interest of their kid, who gives a crap.
  • Options
    Achae said:

I guess I didn't look at it that way.
  • Options
    I have no opinion either way regarding what others do. I am not getting my daughter's pierced until she asks. And I'll do the same with this daughter. I never really cared to get mine done until I turned 26. In fact, I had 13 tattoos before I had any piercings lol. But part of my reasoning is if my daughters want something like that, I want them to earn it. I want them to use their hard earned cash to pay for it. They will also have to go to a reputable tattoo parlor. I feel like if they want it and then have to pay for it, they will be better at taking care of their piercings. I feel like they'll appreciate it and enjoy it more that way. But that's just me. Honestly, I think babies with pierced ears are pretty adorable
  • Options
    g8trkim said:
    But it's not permanent.
    The holes in my ears are permanent. They will never go away despite not having worn earrings since I was like 8.

My mother pierced my ears when I was a baby. I hate earrings. I never wear them. And I really hate that I have holes in my ears that are permanent.    

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• Options
    g8trkim said:
    But it's not permanent.
    The holes in my ears are permanent. They will never go away despite not having worn earrings since I was like 8.

My mother pierced my ears when I was a baby. I hate earrings. I never wear them. And I really hate that I have holes in my ears that are permanent.    
    Gotcha! I don't wear earrings either but I can't even really see the holes. I've never let them close up because I wore them constantly until around 25 and now I will wear some from time to time. I guess it's just one of those things I don't ever notice or care about. It's like another freckle or something.

• Options
    meg+on+the+DLmeg+on+the+DL member
    edited January 2016
    @Aussiechicka "not my monkeys, not my circus".... I may need to have that put on a bracelet to look at every day. Made me crack up!

I'm having a girl and I'm pretty sure we'll do it before she's 1. Granted, I haven't talked to DH but I'm pretty sure he'll say it's up to me. I had mine done at 15 months. Do I remember anything? Nope! Got my upper ear done at 19. Do I remember that? Hells yes I do and it still brings back the painful memories.

As for hating the holes... my husband had his done in high school. He just has the left ear lobe. He regrets that just as much and he made the choice. I think we all have scars we can regret no matter when we get them.

So all in all... I think it's up to you personally. So people think it's tacky. Well I might think it's tacky they wear matching outfits with their kids. But I'd never tell them that. It's all about your best feeling on it.
  • Options
    @MamaFroFro woah! They still haven't closed?! That's crazy. Hmm. I never really thought about whether or not she wouldn't like them later on.(we decided to wait but this is a really good response to think about)

When I got mine repierced they wound up staying forever too, but I didn't exactly mind! I rarely wear earrings. Only ever wear diamonds DH got me for Valentine's Day or the emeralds I inherited from my Grams.
  • Options
    DH and I had this conversation the other day and we will wait. I think it's a great teaching opportunity. I got mine done around 11-12.. I wanted them so bad I don't recall it being too painful. I've even got my rook pierced and it wasn't too bad. I'm thankful to have had the decision though. I know several women who do not have their ears pierced and are thankful for it.
  • Options

I won't get my daughter's ears pierced until she's old enough to ask for them and take care of them. I personally don't like pierced ears on infants and I also don't want to make that decision for her. Plus I have a fear that based on how her ears grow, the hole may not be centered as she grows older (this may be irrational, but I also don't wear drop earrings because I'm afraid of saggy earlobes lol). She'll probably also have to wait until she can afford to get them done at a reputable place vs us paying for it because we're hoping to keep her financially responsible early on

Totally not irrational, my holes became off centered even though they closed and had been taken out. Just so you know! I don't wear heavy earnings either , never have. For one they freaking hurt! Two it's just nerve racking to me.
  • Options
    I have heard that there's more of a chance of the holes being off-center if they're done on someone young because of how ears grow, but I don't know details.
    Also, the holes I had done at age 5 never ever close, and I've had them out for a few years at a time. I wonder at what age it doesn't mean a permanent change?

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I won't get my daughter's ears pierced until she's old enough to ask for them and take care of them. I personally don't like pierced ears on infants and I also don't want to make that decision for her. Plus I have a fear that based on how her ears grow, the hole may not be centered as she grows older (this may be irrational, but I also don't wear drop earrings because I'm afraid of saggy earlobes lol). She'll probably also have to wait until she can afford to get them done at a reputable place vs us paying for it because we're hoping to keep her financially responsible early on

Totally not irrational, my holes became off centered even though they closed and had been taken out. Just so you know! I don't wear heavy earnings either , never have. For one they freaking hurt! Two it's just nerve racking to me.
    I've seen people whose holes are almost at the bottom of their earlobes and you can just tell they grew that way. It's so unfortunate and I feel bad for them that they had a permanent change like that done and it didn't even turn out well
  • Options
    I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 18. That's also when I got my first purse haha. I was a huge tomboy and had no interest in girly things until I was going to college. Then I went crazy and had around 13 piercings in the next two years. I agree with others saying tattoo parlors are the place to go. They punch a hole through the skin that removes the skin where the hole is. Guns from places like Claire's push the skin to the side which causes the swelling, redness, and keloids. I plan to let my daughter tell me when she wants her ears pierced and make it a really fun adventure for her. I barely wear earrings myself and have removed most of my piercings (down to 4: nose, conch, regular ear lobes). I wouldn't judge anybody who pierced their babies ears but it just is a non-issue for me. I don't particularly think they look better or worse with or without. One more accessory I don't feel like dealing with when my daughter doesn't even care haha!