3rd Trimester
Options

4cm....

So I went to my regular midwife meeting today and come to find out I'm 4 cm dilated. They asked me to do a "sweep" today but I said no. I'm simply not ready. I'm 37w + 5d and I honestly just want to let the baby come naturally. Not to mention, I would kinda like to have a quiet, stress-free Christmas and just focus on one thing at a time instead of all at once, it's just too overwhelming for me. My DD was spread out between December 24th and January 8th and although at this point everyone doubts we are going to make it to January before baby makes his grand entrance I would still like to just relax and give my baby some more time to develop despite the fact that I am fed up with being pregnant. I have aches and pains and am miserable over something a hundred times every day and as much as I would love to just "get it over with", as a mother I want what is best for my baby and I know that that is to give him the best chance to come naturally when he decides rather than push it. However they do want to give me a sweep next week if he hasn't come by then. I have never received a sweep before... Honestly it sounds uncomfortable? Anyone experience a sweep before? What was your experience like? How bad was the cramping? How soon after the sweep did you go into labor?

Re: 4cm....

• Options
    I personally will never get a sweep again. I had one once and it was uncomfortable and did not work. If you don't want one don't let them pressure you into it, it's your body, and honestly you don't have to even agree to a cervix check (unless medically necessary), at least that's how my Dr's office works. Good luck, enjoy these last few days!
  • Options
    I was swept at 38 weeks with DS and my water broke a couple days later. I don't remember having any cramping it was just uncomfortable when she actually did the sweep.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've had one with both pregnancies and it was no big deal.

• Options
    I asked for a sweep with my third pregnancy but I was over my EDD. It wasn't bad at all. She was done before I knew it. I had no cramping at all. But it also did not put me into labor.
  • Options
    I had a failed one at 39 weeks with DS2 and then a week later at 40w2d that was successful.  But I very much believe that the sweep is what gave me a major stall at 4cm when I was in labor - so much so that I had to have a lot of pitocin to get me going again, which I believe resulted in me needing an epidural because the pain was too much.  I definitely won't get it again and just let my body do it's thing.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options
    I got my membranes swept twice with my 1st pregnancy. Once at 39 weeks and then again at 40. It didn't work either time and was just very uncomfortable. Some women find to painful, but I just thought it was more of a pain in the ass than an actual pain. After each time I got really crampy and spotted a little but that was it. I refused it with my last pregnancy and won't be doing it with this pregnancy unless I go way past my due date, like at 42 weeks.
  • Options
    Lol the way they had described it made it sound uncomfortable, especially seeing as I have tons of pressure down there already. The cervix check itself was unpleasant and semi-painful (but I'm a big baby lol) We have no clue how long I've been dilated. However, when I rejected the sweep my midwife seemed to get nervous enough about starting labor just by checking my cervix. She was like "Well we'll leave you alone until next week but this could be happening before then". Ok? So then just leave me alone and let him come naturally if it seems so close to labor time? That's all I could think. I've have some serious hip cramp/pain on my left side at the top of my butt cheek all day as well which I'm guessing is my hips separating and prepping for active labor so I see no need to rush my baby's arrival. He'll come when he's good and ready! I don't want to put myself through any unnecessary pain or discomfort just to attempt to possibly make the inevitable go faster...idk. Just sounds terrible and unnecessary to me personally. Thanks for all the stories :smile: I know everyone's pregnancy and opinions are different but it helps to get a general idea of how sweeps feel & their general success rate.
  • Options
    I had one on the day before my due date and I did find it pretty painful, like a sharp stinging shock pain but it was over quickly and then I had mild dull cramping afterward. I went into labor the following day but my water never broke in its own so I don't know if it helped.
  • Options
    I had my first sweep last week (no action) and the 2nd sweep yesterday
    I didn't feel uncomfortable-probably because I'm 4cm dilated and 80% efface
    No spotting -everybody different
    My due date tomorrow 24th and we schedule to be induce on 28th if I don't have the baby by then
    By the way, this is my 2nd pregnancy
    We decided to schedule for me to be induce since the placenta looks old when they did the ultrasound
  • Options
    I got a sweep when I was 41 weeks, and was only 1 cm dilated, and it hurt like a bitch. That said, I went into labor the next day, so it apparently did its job.
  • Options
    I had 5 sweeps in total (due to GD), each a little more dilated than the last. The first couple (at 1-2cm) were quite painful and I was a bit crampy afterwards. For me they became more comfortable as I became more dilated.
    By my 5th one I was 4cm and 100% and felt no pain. My waters broke during the 5th sweep and my baby arrived 4 hours later.
  • Options
    It sounds like the more dilated you are the less painful it will be possibly? I have no clue if I have dilated past 4cm but I've definitely noticed baby drop even farther down...he's practically RIGHT THERE!! (Or so it feels anyway). I've had this bad pain in my lower left back/hip for 2 or 3 days now and now I can't move very well at all...bending over or tilting my body even slightly sideways gets me "stuck" and afraid to move because the pain just shoots! so my hubby has been doing EVERYTHING around the house, dealing with the kids practically all alone and constantly caring for my every need...I feel TERRIBLE! I try to help but he basically shoos me back to the couch and tells me to relax or runs me a hot relaxing bubble bath and forces me to go relax in a bath while he does whatever needs to be done. At this point I'm just useless and I HATE IT!! I still don't think I want a sweep but I also can't stand the fact I'm no longer even remotely productive or helpful. I could cry I feel so bad. I know it won't last forever....I'm 38 weeks and 1 day and at least 4cm dilated so I know baby will come soon, I just feel so helpless at this point which is driving me nuts! My midwives come for a home visit on the 29th and said if I've changed my mind they'll do a sweep then if I wish...it's something I might concider if things get worse. I just don't want to "force" anything or just add cramping & pain with no real guarantee anything will come of it.
  • Options
    Too early.
    A sweep at 41 weeks was terribly uncomfy.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    FYI I walked in to Labor & delivery at 5cm with both kids. Without active labor it means nothing for when baby will arrive.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    This was bumped today so now I'm curious.... @xxarlannaxx are you still pregnant?!

FWIW I know a handful of women who walk around 3-5cm dilated for weeks before giving birth.
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    Still very much pregnant! Lol. However, past couple days I have had the irregular contractions. They don't hurt, they are not intense but just uncomfortable and irregular which to me still doesn't mean much :-/ but DD is getting really close so fingers crossed for some real action soon. I stuck with not getting a sweep and just regular exercise, I'm not going to force my baby out, he's better off coming when he decides he's ready :smile: