Trying to Get Pregnant

Late Ovulation??

I'm new to this site but my husband and I have been trying for years. I'm currently using an OPK. My cycle is 35 days long. It's day 21 and I still haven't ovulated. Is it normal to ovulate later in the cycle and does it affect getting pregnant?

Re: Late Ovulation??

• ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    edited December 2015
    Are you temping as well?  OPKs are not always reliable, especially on their own.  The only way to know if and when you ovulate is by temping.

ETA: Yes, its normal to ovulate later in a cycle, or earlier.  
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • Yes it is normal. I would suggest temping to confirm ovulation (though you may want to wait and start at the beginning of next cycle if you aren't pregnant this time around). Ovulating later doesn't prevent you from getting pregnant whatsoever. It can affect getting pregnant only in the sense that you have less cycles per year than the "normal" so you don't get as many chances to try in a given time period. But as long as you are ovulating, you can get pregnant.
  • Loading the player...
  • It's normal.  I ovulated a week late this cycle, which I only know through temping.  It won't affect your chances of pregnancy as long as you do eventually ovulate, just expect your period to be later this cycle as well.
  • If you have been having unprotected sex for years without a pregnancy, the chances are very slim that you will be able to get pregnant on your own.  Research reproductive endocrinologists in your area.  They are they type of doctor that help you get pregnant.

Also, if you really want to know when you ovulate, you'll have to learn to chart your temperatures.  Read a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  It will change your life.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Thanks. I'm mostly worried about not ovulating at all. I will try to chart temperatures but also make an appointment with a RE
  • jtb0614 said:

I'm new to this site but my husband and I have been trying for years. I'm currently using an OPK. My cycle is 35 days long. It's day 21 and I still haven't ovulated. Is it normal to ovulate later in the cycle and does it affect getting pregnant?

The cycles I've gotten pregnant have been O dates past day 20. For better or worse, that means nothing for you personally.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• **losses mentioned**

Post MC, I tend to ovulate around CD 23-25. I agree with what others said about temping to help you figure out if and when you're ovulating.

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• Sorry about your loss. I have also had a MC so I understand