August 2016 Moms

Finding an OB

Hi ladies - 

My husband is currently stationed overseas, so I'm here with him. Because of some unique circumstances (and because I have not been impressed with the healthcare we're received thus far), we have decided that the best option for our family is for me to have this baby in the States. 

So, I'll be staying with my parents for most of my pregnancy. I've called practice after practice, and they keep telling me that they won't see me for various reasons. Last night, I was told that since I can't have a 6-8 week u/s with one practice, they won't see me. Another said that I have to have a referral from another patient (because, you know, elite club apparently), several have just not called me back, several others won't talk to me at all, etc. 

I'm about to punch someone in the face. Seriously. What do these people expect women to do that aren't from the area that move and need prenatal care? And I'm supposed to call every single practice in the state to find a provider? What makes it worse is that I'm hoping for a VBAC, which I think is the source for a lot of the hesitancy on the part of these offices. 

Has anyone else experienced something similar? What did you do and how did it turn out? I was hoping to stay in country until sometime mid-March, but it's looking more and more like I need to go sooner rather than later since this whole finding a doctor thing is going to take a while. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Finding an OB

• Have you looked into a midwife or something along those lines?  I know more and more practices aren't performing VBAC so that could be a big reason. 

• Are practices turning you down because of the VBAC, or other reasons? I have never heard of a practice not accepting new patients if they can't get a 6-8 week u/s with them--I mean, some people don't even know they're pregnant until after then! 

Do your parents know any new mothers who could give them a recommendation? Or a GP or other doctor who could throw a few names your way? 

Also remember that it is the holiday season. While doctors and nurses are most likely in the office, it's possible scheduling new patients has been put on the back burner until the holiday is over. But I wouldn't want to go with a practice that just doesn't respond to my phone calls at all. I would also try midwives. 
    Married 6/20/2015
    Mirena removed 7/6/2015
    TTC#1 July 2015
    BFP 12/4/2015
    Sam born 8/4/2016

• Loading the player...
  • Look for a local moms FB group for your area and ask for recommendations. It's hard to have to make the change when you're nlt an established patient.
  • Since you said it sounds like they're hesitating to take you on because you want a VBAC, what about not mentioning this? Then you can talk about it with the OB when you meet them. If they won't do it or you don't like their practice, you can attempt to transfer to a new practice, who may be happy to accept a transfer.
  • So, I'm high risk because of some neck issues that I have. I've called a lot of midwives, and I haven't found one that's willing to take me on.

I thought about not mentioning that I want a VBAC, but I do have one friend in the area that told me that there are several hospitals that do not allow VBACs. I'd rather be honest up front and not waste my time or theirs if the provider or hospital isn't supportive of VBACS at all. I mean, if I end up needing a C because a VBAC is too risky for me or for some other reason, fine, but I'd at least like the option to talk about it, which I don't think is unreasonable. I mean, if someone won't at least have that conversation with me, what else will they refuse?

I've never heard about the 6 to 8 week u/s thing, either. I mean, really. I guess people don't move ever.

As far as the moms group - I haven't looked into one of those yet, but I did find a VBAC page and ice talked pretty extensively with a few midwives a doulas that have made recommendations. Unfortunately, they all made pretty much the same recommendations and those providers won't see me or have not called me back, which is pretty unprofessional, imo.

I think I found one that will take me pending insurance info and all of that. We'll see how it goes, because that's going to be tricky. I'm on Tricare Prime Overseas, and I have to change to Standard before I go to the states. If I change now, I can't be seen here except in the case of emergencies. So...we'll see. Hopefully this won't be a problem.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Part of the problem may also be because of the holidays. Offices are slammed with people trying to get in before the plan year kicks over, so anything not year-end-dependent they may be pushing off for a week or so.

Good luck with everything, I hope the one you found works out!