February 2016 Moms

What special items are you putting in dad's hospital bag?

2»

Re: What special items are you putting in dad's hospital bag?

• How is bringing a gaming system "embarrassing" or "the laughing stock of the hospital" I'm being induced and been warned it can be a VERY long process. I'd rather play video games get my mind off of labor then sit there flipping through channels. Its no different then a tablet or laptop. Its not like my husband is going to ignore me and play it....he knows better. Plus it has been a rough couple years we both lost a parent and anything to keep a smile on his face (not that this baby wont.... It's just going to be emotional for both of us) I'm all for. How's video games any different the binge watching Netflix? Plus after baby is out its not like hes going to be playing it till we go home.

Some people are so judgemental and worry what others around will think.

It's not worth being embarrassed about but I think it'd be really weird to be walking in with a console, wires and hdmi cords. Those are probably the same people packing a cooler of sandwiches, lol.
    Bringing your iPad with Netflix is way different. But, who cares? I would snicker about it but then not think of it a minute later.
    Me: 36 DH: 36
    Married: October 2011
    DS: January 2016
    DS: May 2019
    #3: April 2022
  • egraves4 said:
    Red bulls!! Or maybe the Starbucks glass bottles.
    Oooo I like the Red Bull idea!
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker 
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • And maybe I should have clarified something here, I had a c-section with my first and now again with my 2nd.  Longer hospital stay, wanted to give him something to snack on and do.  Not such a quick in and out as a normal delivery would be.  I wish my husband could go home at night to stay with our toddler, but he'll be taking care of me and our new baby!
    As for "gifts", I think a push present is absolutely ridiculous!  I like to do special things for my husband simply because I love him and he is amazing.  I've had a very rough pregnancy and he has been my rock.  The least I can do is give him a little something special to say thanks for taking care of me.  Not necessarily a gift so to speak, just some snacks or something small to surprise show him how much I care.  
    As for the gaming stuff, I'm with all of you who think thats a bit much!  No games here.  Just something simple for him.
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • I don't understand why I would be surprising my husband when he should be surprising me lol. And why is everyone so concerned about snacks? They sell things at the hospital and he, or another family member, can just walk outside and pick everyone up food. Or have food delivered... Packing food seems weird to me. Who wants a soggy samdwich? He can walk down the block and grab a slice of pizza if he's so hungry.

I definitely don't have any interest eating out of the hospital vending machine. I was hungry all the dang time last time, and not having snacks at night with DD ended up being a big deal. Our hospital doesn't have 24hr food service.

• VitaLuna said:

I don't understand why I would be surprising my husband when he should be surprising me lol. And why is everyone so concerned about snacks? They sell things at the hospital and he, or another family member, can just walk outside and pick everyone up food. Or have food delivered... Packing food seems weird to me. Who wants a soggy samdwich? He can walk down the block and grab a slice of pizza if he's so hungry.

I definitely don't have any interest eating out of the hospital vending machine. I was hungry all the dang time last time, and not having snacks at night with DD ended up being a big deal. Our hospital doesn't have 24hr food service.
    Yea that's what seamless or grubhub is for. They'd deliver to the hospital. Or you go to a store down the street. My family knows I would never eat hospital food. My mom or my husband will either go out or have food for us delivered.
  • And maybe I should have clarified something here, I had a c-section with my first and now again with my 2nd.  Longer hospital stay, wanted to give him something to snack on and do.  Not such a quick in and out as a normal delivery would be.  I wish my husband could go home at night to stay with our toddler, but he'll be taking care of me and our new baby!
    As for "gifts", I think a push present is absolutely ridiculous!  I like to do special things for my husband simply because I love him and he is amazing.  I've had a very rough pregnancy and he has been my rock.  The least I can do is give him a little something special to say thanks for taking care of me.  Not necessarily a gift so to speak, just some snacks or something small to surprise show him how much I care.  
    As for the gaming stuff, I'm with all of you who think thats a bit much!  No games here.  Just something simple for him.

I get that. We are trying to save for a house so no push present for me. The only thing I asked for is for a cleaning person to come in and do a deep clean of our apartment when I'm in the hospital. So, when we come back there's nothing to worry about. We gave up our housekeeper this past year to get more serious about saving money but I'd like to make sure I have someone go in and clean places I probably don't get to as often as I'd like... Like the baseboards, hard to reach places, etc.

• VitaLuna said:

VitaLuna said:

I don't understand why I would be surprising my husband when he should be surprising me lol. And why is everyone so concerned about snacks? They sell things at the hospital and he, or another family member, can just walk outside and pick everyone up food. Or have food delivered... Packing food seems weird to me. Who wants a soggy samdwich? He can walk down the block and grab a slice of pizza if he's so hungry.

Yea that's what seamless or grubhub is for. They'd deliver to the hospital. Or you go to a store down the street. My family knows I would never eat hospital food. My mom or my husband will either go out or have food for us delivered.
    Many of us live in areas without 24hr restaurants, let alone "seamless" or "grubhub" (whatever those are). There isn't anything within walking distance, and certainly nothing open 24hrs, so yes, some of us will need to bring snacks. Now sandwiches? No way. I'm talking things like trail mix, granola bars, etc.

Thank you VitaLuna!
    We don't have 24hr restaurants or those other things (whatever they are).  And we also don't have a ton of money.  Its much cheaper to buy snacks ahead of time and bring them than to buy out of the vending machine.  And yes, I'm talking about my hubby's fav snacks: twix bars, beef jerkey and some mixed nuts.  Sandwiches? No thanks.  I am definitely getting some Red Bull though!  I was just hoping someone had some other easy ideas to add to my list, instead of attacking me for trying to do something sweet for my hubby.

I don't think anyone was attacking you. I think - to some of us- it just sounded a little saccharine
  • thisusernamethisusername member
    edited December 2015

And maybe I should have clarified something here, I had a c-section with my first and now again with my 2nd.  Longer hospital stay, wanted to give him something to snack on and do.  Not such a quick in and out as a normal delivery would be.  I wish my husband could go home at night to stay with our toddler, but he'll be taking care of me and our new baby!

My husband had to dote on me after my appendectomy and deal with me being unable to walk for a week with my hips being so terrible a while ago and so many other difficulties this pregnancy. I know I'm the one growing the human, but I have to give credit where it's due and really want to get him something beside food. Our hospital actually has good food anyways (sorry guys) but I also think push presents are kinda weird. Even more so when people complain that they aren't getting one. Are you that materialistic..? (Sorry if I just offended someone)
    I really like the gift idea though. I Just feel like dads can get overshadowed sometimes.
    His gaming gifts are for home, could
    Ton imagine someone trying to bring in a dual
    Monitor set up, desktop, gaming keyboard, mouse, and headset into one of those rooms?! I would die of laughter at him for thinking it would even fit..
    We do game together though, so our 3DS's are coming. It's how we bond and hang out.
  • Monkeybutt80Monkeybutt80 member
    edited December 2015

No, I'm not packing a sandwich. That's not a snack, that's a meal. For me, ill have him pack snacks like his favorite flavor cliff bars and a pack of gum that he normally chews-- he eats these items often enough that we always have a bunch at home, and there's no guarantee that the hospital will have the specific ones he likes, so he will prob want to bring those if he remembers.

As far as push presents go, heck yeah. I always accept presents regardless of the reason or occasion. The concept of a push present is weird but if he wants to give me a present for giving birth, I'll take it!

Eta to clarify.
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • I don't understand why I would be surprising my husband when he should be surprising me lol. And why is everyone so concerned about snacks? They sell things at the hospital and he, or another family member, can just walk outside and pick everyone up food. Or have food delivered... Packing food seems weird to me. Who wants a soggy samdwich? He can walk down the block and grab a slice of pizza if he's so hungry.
    It gets expensive to do snacks at the hospital. Plus at ours you have to exit the OB area to get to the food court or vending machines and get buzzed back in every time. It's very annoying and not efficient. I'm not packing sandwiches and things like that. I'm bringing some granola bars, nuts, etc that I can snack on or my kids and DH and snack on when they are up visiting.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Gotcha... I'm in nyc so my view may be a little skewed. I except half an Italian bakery to show up in my delivery room - or at least some magnolia cupcakes lol.
  • Gotcha... I'm in nyc so my view may be a little skewed. I except half an Italian bakery to show up in my delivery room - or at least some magnolia cupcakes lol.
    Yeah...I'd say your view is skewed. Outside my hospital, there's a McDonald's, Sonic, and Subway none of which are open 24 hours. There are other restaurants about 10 minutes away, but it's a real pain getting into the maternity unit at my hospital. You have to call in to the nurses station and wait until someone actually comes and opens the door. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

@LowerEastSiiide - I like your sn. Is that from Gilmore Girls?
  • I will be packing a bag (with snacks and iPad) for my H, because like many others here, our hospital is in a small town without many food options around it, and especially not late at night. Plus, when my husband gets stressed about me or baby (which I know he will be), he refuses to leave my side. He is very protective, and even if he is starving I know he would refuse to leave and get food. We live about 30 mins away from the hospital, so just running home to change isn't really an option, either. I plan to pack his favorite comfort snacks like starbursts and rolos, sandwich crackers, beef jerky, nuts, red bull, and altoids. I'd like for him to have options. I completely understand the sentiment that others have posted about we are the ones having the babies, not the men, but I'd rather be prepared now than find ourselves in an "oh crap" later when we both are starving and cranky and with limited options.
  • VitaLuna said:

Wait, I take that back. I will be packing gum and mints for him. Last think I need is someone in my face with stinky breath.

This is a great idea! I don't know why I didn't think of this. Thank you :smile:

On a similar topic, what do you all think about the trend of bringing treats for the nurses? I wanted to do it last time but ended up delivering earlier than expected and this time around I don't think I have the energy. I may need to do a separate post...

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • @purpletulip As a nurse, I find it completely unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice gesture, but it's not something that I will do or see as a big deal.

If you DO choose to do something, it's best to do something edible in sealed packaging. Homemade treats often find their way to the trash, as do cutesty little gifts. At least for us, non-sweets are favored over cookies/candies/etc.

• VitaLuna said:

Wait, I take that back. I will be packing gum and mints for him. Last think I need is someone in my face with stinky breath.

This is a great idea! I don't know why I didn't think of this. Thank you :smile:

On a similar topic, what do you all think about the trend of bringing treats for the nurses? I wanted to do it last time but ended up delivering earlier than expected and this time around I don't think I have the energy. I may need to do a separate post...

It's not my plan to, as PP stated above. My mom is a nurse and I think if anything, should appreciate something non-food. Most nurses get joy out of seeing their patients thrive and as long as you're being gracious to them, that's all the thanks they need. They're a special kind of person :smile:
  • Wait, I take that back. I will be packing gum and mints for him. Last think I need is someone in my face with stinky breath.
    This is a great idea! I don't know why I didn't think of this. Thank you :smile: On a similar topic, what do you all think about the trend of bringing treats for the nurses? I wanted to do it last time but ended up delivering earlier than expected and this time around I don't think I have the energy. I may need to do a separate post...
    It's such a nice gesture, but given you're in labor I don't think the nurses expect any sort of gift at all. I agree with not doing homemade things. As a teacher, if I get treats from parents, I won't eat anything homemade unless I know them well. So I would thing the nurses would be cautious to eat anything made by a stranger. Probably the best thing you can do is just be kind, thank them often, and not be a PITA. I can't say enough nice things about all the nurses we had. I know they appreciated that we were nice to them and low maintenance.

• g8trkim said:

VitaLuna said:

It's such a nice gesture, but given you're in labor I don't think the nurses expect any sort of gift at all. I agree with not doing homemade things. As a teacher, if I get treats from parents, I won't eat anything homemade unless I know them well. So I would thing the nurses would be cautious to eat anything made by a stranger. Probably the best thing you can do is just be kind, thank them often, and not be a PITA. I can't say enough nice things about all the nurses we had. I know they appreciated that we were nice to them and low maintenance.

There's also usually a limitation on homemade goodies that can be brought in because of patient allergies (like nuts). So keep that in mind too.
  • My mom and DH picked up coffee and bagels from a nearby place for the nurses/docs. we just thought it was something small we could do to say thank you.
  • I didn't end up giving anything to the nurses last time - but may do it this time. I was also thinking like coffee and pastries (there's a Panera and Dunkin' across the street from the hospital).

I did send my midwife a small Edible Arrangement thing after birth because I felt I received outstanding care that went above and beyond the basics.
  • I've never heard of gifting your L&D team, but I think thats a very sweet thought.  However, in the midst of a delivery, I think I'd probably forget completely!  Thats just me though.  I'm all about little gifts to show appreciation, thus why I started this convo to begin with.  I guess if I were to gift my nurses, I'd probably just do a small gift card to a coffee shop or something.
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • I've never heard of gifting your L&D team, but I think thats a very sweet thought.  However, in the midst of a delivery, I think I'd probably forget completely!  Thats just me though.  I'm all about little gifts to show appreciation, thus why I started this convo to begin with.  I guess if I were to gift my nurses, I'd probably just do a small gift card to a coffee shop or something.

I don't know about other places, but my employer (hospital) does not allow gifts with any declared monetary value.. Which includes gift cards.