January 2016 Moms

New baby by Dec 31st and he's free!

So while I know it is best for baby to continue baking, I secretly wish that he would come by Dec 31st since I've reached my max out of pocket for the year.  Crazy the difference a few days can make since when our insurance restarts we will have to pay a $500 deductible again and out of pocket max of $5000 total.  My husband was joking that if we ordered him by Dec 31st there is free shipping and handling :)  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New baby by Dec 31st and he's free!

• That's so funny.
  • I am due the 1st and feel the same way. Dr appt today and they are inducing tomorrow if she isn't here by then. So I hopefully will have a baby by the end of the day or next day and have a 2015 baby girl
  • Loading the player...
  • I am due 1/7 and am in the same boat with my insurance. I have been thinking about it and hoping baby will come before the new year. I know it is very selfish but I can't help but think about it!

• As long as baby comes before January 31st, I can claim my dads insurance. I wont have to pay a thing. My 26th birthday is January 18th. So I am covered until the end of the month.
  • I'm in the same boat. To make things 10x worse if my deductible resets I pay another 1500 + coinsurance and we're already in enough of a financial bind as it is. I can't explain how upset I will be it he doesn't come in the next few days but I'll have to deal with it if that's what happens. It's entirely unfair.
    Vincent 1.1.16 & Daniel 11.6.07
    In Memory of Barbara <3 , beloved mother and grandmother
  • I am scheduled for a csection on 1/5. I'm hoping he decides to come early. If he comes before then I figured we'd save about $9K in tax and insurance. Would go a long way toward a down payment for a house. He's big enough and developed so it's not like his health would be compromised. Measuring 10.5 lbs as of this morning. I know they can be off but the tech said there are some signs that are telling her she's not going to be off by much. We shall see. But we do know my narrow hips aren't going to pass the huge head.
  • UH I hate insurance! Our plan changes on 2/1. If she comes by 1/31 (due date is 1/18), everything is free, and if she comes 2/1 or later, it'll cost about $4,500 or more, depending on what happens at the hospital. So crazy!!! It's definitely stressing me out. I can go on a huge rant about insurance but I don't feel like getting pissed off right now. :neutral: 
  • My husband and I did the math and if LO arrives by 12/31, we will save an extra $10,000 compared to if he arrived on 01/01. My insurance is changing on Jan. 1 and it's going to be really crappy. This year I have already maxed out my deductible and he'd be almost free! Plus, we will be in a higher tax bracket if he doesn't come in 2015 and miss out on the tax credit. I'm crossing my fingers!
  • Our hospital gives a "prize" to the first baby of the new year. I hope it's us lol
  • ondabiancaondabianca member
    edited December 2015
    I feel the same way, not to mention he could be claimed on  taxes if he came before January.  I'm not due till the 6th though and at my appointment Monday I wasn't dilated at all so I'm thinking it's just not in the cards....
  • So glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this way!
  • HilaryD82HilaryD82 member
    edited December 2015
    Yes!!! Same boat. This has been an ongoing discussion with SO and I since we heard the DD is 12/31. My deductible is almost $2,000 and then it's coinsurance. :( such a bummer that this has to be in our thoughts but it's very real. In the meantime, thus far baby is not showing much interest in coming during this year's deductible.
  • Yup. $3,000 deductible restarts on 1/1/16. After I meet that, though, everything is covered 100%. So I'm trying to look at the bright side, I'm sure I will have other medical expenses in 2016, but I won't have to pay for any of them after baby is born. The tax break would've been nice though too.
  • @emzie54  That's how my husband and I are trying to look at it to cheer ourselves up.  There's no way that our 1/31 baby girl is coming before the new year, so it'll at least be nice to have our max out of pocket fulfilled in the first part of the year.  Any other health expenses next year will be free for all of 2016!  :)  So at least there's that.  
  • I am the opposite! We found out at 23 weeks our baby has a congenital heart disease and will need open heart surgery, so I am hoping he waits until the new year to arrive so his birth and open heart surgery are in the same insurance year!
  • I had been thinking the same thing even though I'm not due until 1/25. At my 32 week US the doc estimated he was already 4 lb 10 oz so I figured a little early would be okay.... I was wrong! Have a family friend that's a neonatologist who said that we really need to get to 38 weeks for his little lungs. Apparently boys born early are more prone to breathing problems. So despite the bill and the fact that I'm miserable, I just keep talking to him and telling him to stay as long as he needs.
  • I had been thinking the same thing even though I'm not due until 1/25. At my 32 week US the doc estimated he was already 4 lb 10 oz so I figured a little early would be okay.... I was wrong! Have a family friend that's a neonatologist who said that we really need to get to 38 weeks for his little lungs. Apparently boys born early are more prone to breathing problems. So despite the bill and the fact that I'm miserable, I just keep talking to him and telling him to stay as long as he needs.

This is so true for boys!! I don't know if it is because of this or not but my son was born at 38 weeks, and while he did not have breathing issues at birth he has had some respiratory issues since, some of which got us a couple day stay at the hospital last winter.
  • I'm not due until 1/30 so it's very doubtful I will have a baby by the new year. However I do wonder-if you go into labor on 12/31 but deliver on 1/1 which year does the birth apply to for insurance?

• I'm from Canada due 01/07 and we don't have anything like that up here.....I am counting my lucky stars reading all of this!!!
  • I'm not due until 1/30 so it's very doubtful I will have a baby by the new year. However I do wonder-if you go into labor on 12/31 but deliver on 1/1 which year does the birth apply to for insurance?

Each insurance is different. Mine for pregnancy lumps everything for me for delivery under the admit date. Baby falls under delivery date. So far I was to get admitted 12/31, my whole bill would be 2015.
  • Everything for me is billed at the time of birth so I've been hoping she waits until January when we have an insurance change. Plus if we have her in January we will meet the deductible and everything for the rest of 2016 will be free! Since it's new years eve with no signs of labor I think we're good to go for January.

Yep, my hubby was about a month early and he still has breathing problems. He had asthma as a kid, and still has problems breathing with aerobic exercise.
    Married March 19, 2011
    TTC off and on 04/14
    BFP 06/13/14 MC 06/15/14
    BFP 12/14/14
    1st Appt 01/13/2015
    M/C 1/19/15 D&C 1/20/15
    BFP 5/13/15
    1st Appt 06/10/2015 Peanut has HB 150
    A/S 09/02/15 It's a Girl!! Low placenta, but everything else great!

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Well dang it. I had been hoping for a 2015 baby since I found out I was pregnant in April. Due tomorrow. This kid is extra comfy. She's hilarious already.