June 2016 Moms
Options

Rock and Play?

Hi ladies! I'm having a slow day at work and having so much fun adding to my registry. :) I'm a FTM, with a SMALL place (did I emphasize small?) so I am really trying to be smart about all these baby contraptions.

My sister is on her fourth, and has a ton of space at her house... She insists I need everything she has. Impossible! My baby will have to be happy with less! ;) I'm obviously registering for a stoller, crib, necessities etc... And I do kind of think some sort of swing or seat or something might be good as per my sisters advice! For all you wonderful veteran mommies, what would you recommend? The Rock and play that I keep hearing about? Something else? I'd love your help. :)

Thanks in advance!!

Re: Rock and Play?

• Options
    Will the baby have their own room?  Or sleep in yours?  We just used a pack n play while in our room, with the bassinet feature on top. My DS was in our room for about 8 months... but he was an AWFUL sleeper.  Having something in our room worked great, but like I said, we had the pack n play, which I consider more versatile than the rock n play (although some moms swear its the only thing their child would sleep in).  We travel a lot, so we knew we would need a port-a-crib of sorts, so the pack n play went to good use!  We used it until my DS was about 21 months old (then he started climbing out).  

Also, I would recommend some sort of a swing.  You will appreciate it during the things you consider the simple aspects of life right now - like going to the bathroom or taking a shower :-)  

Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• Options
    I'm also a FTM so I can't give personal advice except to say that I have a ton of friends who have warned me not to over-purchase. Babies can be fussy so they've encouraged me to borrow things like toys, swings, seats, etc. when baby gets here to see if the baby likes it before purchasing it. Do you have friends who can do the same? Baby stuff is so expensive. You can always buy something you need later on but it's a PITA to return stuff.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    HighFive16HighFive16 member
    edited December 2015
    The rock n play was the best item I bought for my baby. She slept in it from when she came home from the hospital to 3 months and even took a couple of naps in it at 4-5 months. She loved it, was cozy and by night sometimes just that little rock was all she needed to get back to sleep. I used to panic about her choking in her sleep after night feeds and the RnP helped me because I knew she was elevated. 
    It also helped her head from flattening because I used to put her on her side and switch sides during day naps. I had a bouncer and she didn't like it and I never invested in one of the expensive swings.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Our swing was indispensable. I also have a small place and didn't want to get a bunch of extra stuff. I had to trek to Target in the snow with a newborn to get a swing. I got the Fisher Price one that plugs in to the wall...they have some that are just battery powered which I was not a fan of, because who wants to deal with hunting down batteries when they've got a screaming baby? It also played white noise which was awesome for getting her to settle down, and she would get so mesmerized by the toys and the mirror she stared up at in it. So nice just to have somewhere to put baby down! My baby was way too fussy and high maintenance to ever just lie in a crib and chill.
  • Options
    @NicknShan The baby will be in our room, at least for the first few months. That's awesome to know you got so many months of use out of it!! We plan on doing some traveling next fall so I will definitely think about this! :) (hadn't even thought of travel til you brought that up!! Phew!)

@catherinekate super great idea! Thank you!

@HighFive16 This is what I have been hearing!! Nice to have it confirmed!! :)
  • Options
    june2016babyjune2016baby member
    edited December 2015
    I never owned a rock and play, so I had to look it up.... A cute one is reduced from $75 to $42 right now at Target online, with free shipping, so I might order one.

My question is for anyone who's had one: Are they easily knocked over by siblings?
  • Options
    Rock and play is a life saver. Swaddle that baby, turn on vibrate and watch your baby sleep away!

DD1 born 11/2014

DD2 born 6/2016

• Options
    Um yeah, if I was stuck on an island with my baby and could only pick 1 thing to have--- it would be the rock and play. Hahaha. YES! Get it! Never had a seat thing but I did have a swing. Swing was great but HUGE. I ended up selling it. Did I mention I love my rock and play? Going on its 3rd baby in my fam!
  • Options
    Flippin love our rock n play. So easy to move from room to room. I used it in the bathroom to take my shower and in the living during the day when I needed to fix bottles or put him down to do someghing real quick. I also took it to people's houses so he'd have an easy place to sit if we all sat down to eat. I also loved the swing and the kick n play mat for tummy time.
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    BPaisleyBPaisley member
    edited December 2015
    We didn't have a rock n play with my first and we borrowed my sister's for my second and it sort of came in handy, but he didn't really love it, like some babies seem to. The one thing I have always used religiously is the bouncer... my first didn't really settle in the swing, but fast bouncing could calm him/put him to sleep. It doesn't bounce itself or anything, so it is not super convenient to be sitting there bouncing them with your foot, but it works. And for a period of time, my second would only take naps in the bouncer (though he DID enjoy sleeping for hours in the swing when he was really tiny).

The bouncer is also really great to just plop them down so they can kind of see what is going on around and hang out while you do things. The rock n play is more of a recline, which DS2 didn't like to just hang out in. We went to the beach with extended family and my cousin was there with her son who was 5 weeks younger than DS2 and she was amazed to see how well he hung out and even slept a ton in the bouncer. They had one, but assumed it wasn't much different than the rock n play so hadn't even opened it, but she said they broke it out once they got home and it was super helpful!

It's really tough deciding what to buy because A) you don't know which item your baby will prefer and B ) they literally only use a lot of these items (bouncer, jumper, swing, rock n play) for like 4-6 months and, before you know, they sit up and aren't supposed to use them anymore! But, they can be lifesavers during that time!
    DS1 5-18-2012
    DS2 5-18-2014
    DD1 EDD 6-21-2016

babysizercom pregnancy ticker
  • Options
    We loved the Rock N Play, and it's nice that it's not terribly expensive and super portable. Although I was jealous when one of my employees started bringing her newborn to work earlier this year and she had a new one that rocks itself. Mine doesn't do that. Get that one.

We didn't buy a swing at first, and then my husband ran out one day about week two and drove straight to Babies R Us to get one. Total game changer for us. I'm not sorry we didn't get it at first (we weren't sure we would use it), but I am super glad it was available when we needed it.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I used a rock n play with DS and loved the thing. I wished I had one with DD. It was small easy to move and he slept amazing in it. If he was napping I could just drag it from room to room with him in it so I didn't have to leave him.

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Options
    It totally depends on the baby. DS loves the RnP and slept in it for probably too long age-wise. We never had a bouncer and he was indifferent with the swing.

We had a 2 story house so the basement had the swing, RnP traveled between main and upstairs. It moved nicely.
    DS 9/2/13 was a BFP from an IUI!
    Triplets due 6/29/16 also from an IUI!

• Options
    My first 2 babies would ONLY sleep in our rock n play. It has magic powers. I suggested a friend buy one for her baby, she didn't listen. Two weeks after her baby was born, I ran into her husband buying one at the store. She texted me the next day and raved about how well her baby was finally napping/sleeping. With all babies though, you will find that they have their own preferences. Yours may not like it. Both of my kids hated swings....and I always hear that they're a "must have".
  • Options
    I am getting a rock and play, everyone i know that has had them LOVE them! They weren't around yet for my first two kids but its one ofthe few purchases i want to make for our last baby. The swings i think are so hit and miss...you dont use them long and some babies hate them, some love them...
  • Options
    I think swing is very important. I could have lived without a stroller but not a swing

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options
    Dd#1 HATED swings. The only baby gear we had for the first 3 months at least we're crip (that she hadn't slept in yet) bouncer, car seat, and a bassinet. This time we are getting a crib, travel system, 4moms mamaroo, and I have a rock n play.
  • Options
    Rock and Play 100% saved my life with DD2. She slept in it until she figured out how to get out of it and we moved her to the crib! It's nice because it folds up and can be slid out of the way when not using it.
  • Options
    sorarosesorarose member
    edited December 2015
    I know several moms swear by the Rock and Play, especially for colicky babies, but I personally would never do it because it's not recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics (goes against SIDS prevention guidelines). We did the pack 'n' play before transferring to the crib. Again, I know many choose the Rock and Play and if Moms always followed every piece of advice put out then we would go crazy, it's just a personal decision I have made for myself and wanted to give you an alternative perspective.

• Options
    Didn't have a PNP or RNP for the first, but did have the slightly reclined bouncer seat. It vibrates so was perfect to strap baby in while I showered or cooked dinner. Some moms swear by it but having the small bouncer was nice for space and to take with us places.
    Married: 08/04/13
    DS: 11/25/14
    DD: 06/25/16
    EDD: 12/05/18

• Options
    Besides someplace for the baby to sleep, you really need do place to set the baby down--either a swing or bouncer typically.
    We didn't have a RnP with our first, and don't plan on getting one. We were gifted a bassinet and used that in our room until DD was too big and started sleeping in her crib.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • Options
    I just want to chime in and say if it weren't for the rocking play I would have gotten zero sleep when DS was born. He felt snuggled in it opposed to being in an open space like a crib. He slept in it every night next to my bed until 4 months when I was afraid he might could roll out.
  • Options
    You guys are really bumming me out over the fact that RNP isn't available in Canada.

It does seem like something that would not be recommended for baby to sleep in due to SIDS risk, but to be honest my baby slept in a swing for months and that's a no-no too. But when she wouldn't sleep anywhere else and I was falling asleep on the couch while nursing her (which is VERY unsafe) it was a better alternative.
  • Options
    Rock n play is amazing! I loved ours and i think we will buy a new one that vibrates. A swing is good to have too

Come on Sticky baby!!
    EDD 6/30/2016

EDD: 2/26/11  BORN: 2/15/2011

EDD: 2/23/2014  M/C 6/18/2013
    EDD 6/25/2014  M/C 11/8/2013
    M/C 4/20/2014
    M/C 6/22/2014

Our Z
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Check out my Blog:
    http://gomommy-meandmyboys.blogspot.com/

• Options
    sorarose said:

I know several moms swear by the Rock and Play, especially for colicky babies, but I personally would never do it because it's not recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics (goes against SIDS prevention guidelines). We did the pack 'n' play before transferring to the crib. Again, I know many choose the Rock and Play and if Moms always followed every piece of advice put out then we would go crazy, it's just a personal decision I have made for myself and wanted to give you an alternative perspective.

I'm afraid of this too. I was looking at this as a longer term solution instead of a bassinet (we have a small bedroom and this would do double duty when kiddo is a little older)
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Anyone who has a small amount of space... get a mini crib vs a full size crib. =) My 2 almost 3 year old still fits in one. The rock n play was nice because it gives you a place to set your baby while cooking, showering etc but its not that great and I wouldn't personally go out of my way to buy it again. The only reason Ill use one this time is because I still have my sons and its in perfect, like new condition . I wouldn't have bought a new one though. 

My list of must haves are a swing, mini crib (skip this if your bed sharing), space saving high chair after 6 months. 

Bouncers, pack n plays, bassinets, changing stations where just a waste of space to me...
  • Options
    The rock and play is my favorite! I didn't have it with my first but got it for me second. LOVE IT! My son slept 4 straight hours in the first week. Will definitely be pulling it back out for my third one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    I'm afraid of this too. I was looking at this as a longer term solution instead of a bassinet (we have a small bedroom and this would do double duty when kiddo is a little older)
    I love our rock n play and used it for all 3 bambinos!! They slept so great in it and it was made for sleeping correct? 
    I hadn't heard it wasn't approved that's new to me.

BabyFetus Ticker 
                Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    bio-oesch said:
    meggyme said:
    I love our rock n play and used it for all 3 bambinos!! They slept so great in it and it was made for sleeping correct? 

Babies are supposed to be on a firm and flat surface on their backs. The rock and play has the baby reclining ...there are lots of articles on doctors being against it. Again, if moms followed every rule out there they would go crazy, and it's a personal choice, but that's why it's considered a no-no (similar to bumpers and blankets that I had when I was a baby).

• Options
    sorarose said:
    bio-oesch said:
    meggyme said:

Babies are supposed to be on a firm and flat surface on their backs. The rock and play has the baby reclining ...there are lots of articles on doctors being against it. Again, if moms followed every rule out there they would go crazy, and it's a personal choice, but that's why it's considered a no-no (similar to bumpers and blankets that I had when I was a baby).

Gotcha, I was just surprised because I remember everyone going crazy over it (5yrs ago) because it was like a swing or bouncer since it was inclined, but it was actually approved for sleep. But they must have reviewed it since and changed that. Bummer, but I will probably still use it with this kiddo if he/she won't sleep in the bassinet.

BabyFetus Ticker 
                Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    bio-oesch said:

sorarose said:

bio-oesch said:

meggyme said:

sorarose said:

Gotcha, I was just surprised because I remember everyone going crazy over it (5yrs ago) because it was like a swing or bouncer since it was inclined, but it was actually approved for sleep. But they must have reviewed it since and changed that. Bummer, but I will probably still use it with this kiddo if he/she won't sleep in the bassinet.

From what I've read it's a napper, so it's probably approved for supervised sleeping, but I've heard of a lot of people using it for overnight.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    meggyme said:

bio-oesch said:

sorarose said:

bio-oesch said:

meggyme said:

sorarose said:

From what I've read it's a napper, so it's probably approved for supervised sleeping, but I've heard of a lot of people using it for overnight.

Yup. I think this is right. Fine for naps just not over night. It's the same for many bassinets. The only overnight bassinet I have found so far is the Uppa Vista.
  • Options
    Hmmm, you guys sold me on one! Just ordered from Target online.

The description says it is designed for overnight sleep. But I am a little wary of that.
  • Options
    OMG ladies thanks for all these responses. I was getting a swing, rock and play and bassient, but after reading all of this, forget the bassinet i'll just get the swing. Especially if they have one that plugs into the wall!!! perfect!! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I loved my rock and play. Also I so grateful for the swing that you could take apart and use it as a bouncer!
  • Options
    My son had reflux, along with horrible gas. The rock and play was the only thing that he would sleep soundly in. We tried everything, but the slight incline of the rock and play was our godsend. I definitely recommend it. It was also really helpful later on with distinguishing the difference between naptime and bedtime. It was the best 50 bucks I spent on him!
  • Options
    My DD had severe GERD when she was a newborn, so the incline of the Rock N Play really helped keep her symptoms at bay during bed time. She slept in it for naps & also over night, until she started sitting up :)
  • Options
    They do have swing/chair combos that you can get.  It can detach from the swing and just be a vibrating chair.  Kind of nice in case you baby doesn't like one or the other.  I agree with what others have said, you can always get things or borrow.  Each baby is different.  My first did not like the vibrating chair but loved the swing.  I know others that never used their swing. I loved my RNP because I could take it room to room, but since you don't have a lot of space it might now be necessary. 
  • Options
    The rock and play was a lifesaver for my DS. He had acid reflux as and it was the only way he would sleep. And it was super easy for traveling!