Breastfeeding
Options

Devastated

I've been to the LC 3 times in 6 days. I'm not producing enough milk. Just a couple cc's from each side. I'm pumping, drinking tea, taking supplements, feeding him, etc.

Today she tells me to stop BF and just pump all weekend. I pump for my first time after the appointment and get nothing from my right breast despite it being 3 hours since his last feeding. Just dribbles from my left.

I'm heart broken. I didn't know how sad I would be over this. My poor baby deserves breast milk and I'm not able to provide it right now.

Re: Devastated

• Options
    How old is LO? It took me over 3 months to get my supply up to where it should be. I pumped after every feeding, took Moringa, ate oatmeal every morning. I think Goats Rue kickstarted it too
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He's only 11 days old. He lost too much weight and the doctor wanted me supplementing with formula. I did that and I didn't know at first that it would decrease my supply. Plus he had a tongue tie and I have flat nipples. It's just a perfect storm. Knowing it can take as long as 3 months helps me. I can stick with it knowing it may not be a quick process.
  • Options
    11 days is nothing! The milk is just beginning to come in. Keep pumping, keep baby fed with pumped milk and formula, and keep baby close. Do plenty of skin to skin time and I would keep letting baby nurse for comfort if he will. Are they going to clip the tongue tie?
  • Options
    beanie1977beanie1977 member
    edited November 2015
    They did fix the tongue tie. I've also tried nipple shields but with my large breasts and "lots of tissue" as the LC said, it's very cumbersome and he still doesn't get a good latch. Hearing 11 days is nothing is also reassuring.
  • Options
    I'm on the bigger side myself and I need to squeeze my boob to get a good latch or else he would have to mash his whole face in to get to the nipple. When he was a newborn I had to squeeze myself the entire time. I believe they call it the boob sandwich.
  • Options
    PlainJane8350PlainJane8350 member
    edited November 2015
    Have you reached out to your local La Leche group? They helped me tremendously. They also told me that your supply doesn't stabilize until 12 weeks, so you have plenty of time!

In the meantime, you can always use donated breastmilk. Some states have banks, but where I live we don't. We do, however, have organizations where people milk share. I like Human Milk 4 Human Babies the best, they even have a local Facebook page here. There's also Eats on Feets. They also have a Facebook page, but I've never used them myself.
  • Options
    I was feeling the exact same way as you and I was crying all the time feeling so disappointed. I'm now supplementing my baby with formula and still nursing him. Still drinking teas and taking supplements. So far I have seen a slight increase in supply and he is 4 weeks old. I'm actually starting to like supplementing because it gives me a little break and let's other people feed the baby. I still love nursing and plan to keep going but it is nice to have a way to keep the baby full since I'm not producing enough. I'm just trying to focus on keeping the baby full and helping him grow. M
  • Options
    You are amazing! Sounds like you are doing what's best for you and your little one. The best advice I have gotten is to do what you need to do to keep you sane. A sane mommy makes for a happy baby. Breastfeeding is amazing but thankfully not the only way to nourish our babes!
  • Options
    Please don't feel like you're giving up. I didn't care for any of the lactation consultants I saw at the hospital and the nurse who delivered my baby, the first thing she told me was that my nipples were bad!

I use my local La Leche League now and am much happier. They even have meetings and play dates.

What's really important, no matter how you feed him, is that you do what's best for him and there's no doubt you are. You could be stubborn and refuse to give him formula, but you're not and he's getting what he needs. It sounds like you feel like you're missing out on the bonding time, but I think you're doing a great job. I'm sure he feels more connected to you regardless of the milk if you're focused on him as opposed to most of us who watch T.V. and play on our phones while we breastfeed. I think you're doing great and I bet he's happy as can be. If your concern is the actual breastmilk, then you could always get donor milk, but it sounds like formula's working for him.
  • Options
    Try to order bessie's lactation cookies. I've never tried it but tons of ppl swear by them. They have a fb page where you can read the testimonies.
  • Options
    Seriously, keep trying different supplements. Moringa took me two weeks to see a change. I was ridiculously low and used a ton of donor milk at first. I did see an acupuncturist which helped as well. Stress will impact feeding. In the end I believe my perseverance is what worked though. Even the LCs were surprised I was still pumping after every feed and I think they'd given up on me. I remember when I was so excited to be making half of what he needed and now I only supplement 2 oz a day. Every little increase a long the way counts. We had a tie too that got fixed at 9 days. He also had a retruded jaw that made nursing harder for him. You can do this!!
  • Options
    Please remember that stress plays a big role in milk supply. Take a break- you've been through a lot. Drink some water, spend a few days in bed enjoying your new baby, and put away the pump for alittle while. Skin to skin contact is very important both for your baby and milk supply. Give your baby formula for the time being and try to just soak in these precious moments with your newborn. Skin to skin is great to help regulate their little body's temperature and if he tries to nurse- let him but don't worry if he's getting enough because the formula will be there.
  • Options
    Keep giving him the breast. It doesn't make sense to me for a mother to be told to stop breastfeeding. Why mess with nature. Pumping does not replace baby and mother's natural stimulation to produce mik. Pumping is only to supplement. My daughter had trouble latching but once she learned to suck, the milk came. The baby takes a while to learn to do it right too.
  • Options
    You are NOT giving up! You seriously have done a ton. I nursed my first 2 with no issues, I did think I was getting low when pumping around 5m ( pumping 2-3oz instead of 4-5oz on each Breast at work). My boys pediatrician got me regelan (sp?) it increased my supply a ton! Like 8oz on on side a ton! Although I wasn't able to with my third. We didn't discover he wasn't nursing correctly the first week and a half even after loosing weight. My milk didn't come in fully because of it. I wish I would have figured it out sooner. My 3rd LO just never figured it out and I lost my milk. I only tried half of what you did, I saw a LC, did fenugreek, beer, pumping (had a hard time getting 1-2oz each side and it just kept going down) I think there was one other thing to. It was devastating and I cried but I ended up formula feeding. I had to remind myself to not take it to personal. Luckily with my 4th things are going great! Keep your head up momma and know you are doing your best! Sounds like you are on the right track!
  • Options
    I also didn't develop enough milk for,my little one. It was devastating to me too. I ended up learning I had insufficient tissue in my breasts to develop and store milk. You are brave and a great mom. Keep feeding your baby.
  • Options
    If you would like to continue breastfeeding, keep doing it! Don't feel like a failure if you have to supplement during this time. It happens.

That being said, I can't believe a LC told you to 'stop breastfeeding' and only pump. That is so irresponsible of them! You CAN build your milk supply up to support your baby and it will take a lot of pumping, BUT you need to pump AFTER nursing sessions. Here is a summary of the best advice I got when I was in your shoes:

1. Nurse nurse nurse nurse. Get rid of any binkie and put your nipple in LOs mouth on demand. Nurse every 2-3 hours during the day, and four hours at night. Never skip a feeding. Never offer a bottle in place of breast.
    2. This is going to suck, but for three days pump after every.single.feeding. Even the overnight ones. Do this once a week if you can.
    3. Pump EVERY time you give LO a supplement. If your SO can bottle feed, you pump while SO does that. If you are home solo, pump after the bottle supplement.
    4. ALWAYS nurse before supplementing. Always always always. It seems like it would be easier to skip the boob and just give the supplement, don't.
    5. Nurse in this manner: 10 min first side, 10 min second side, then 5 min first side, 5 min second side.
    6. Power pump ANYTIME you have 30-60 minutes free. During commutes, naps, before bed, etc.
    7. TRUST YOUR BODY. Give it the nutrients (food, water, and sleep) it needs and IT WILL give you the milk you need. You CAN come back from low supply. It's HARD but possible.
    GOOD LUCK!!!

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm just not seeing the "breastfeed at all costs" benefit here. You've tried everything the professionals have suggested and you're still having to supplement. This happened to 2 of my gf's with their babies. They ended up switching over to exclusive formula when they went back to work. Both kids are at the top of their class and very healthy. Your baby will thrive, just feed him any way you can and he'll do great. Besides, he's getting breast milk, so he's gotten the antibodies and other benefits already, even a little bit counts. But formula isn't the devil. Lots of kids are formula fed for a variety of reasons and they all grow up just fine. You're a great mom, keep up the good work.