November 2015 Moms
Options

Advice on roughness

Sorry this is so long.

My LO is about to hit 4 weeks old, and the past week he's been extremely fussy at night. During the day he's fine - he sleeps great, but then at night he wakes up every 45 mins to an hour and screams for over an hour straight. I'm convinced it's not colic - just maybe he has his days and nights mixed up.

Anyways, the lack of sleep is causing my husband to have a lack of patience. Which is understandable. He's gotten a little rough with him out of frustration - not to the point of hurting him...just pressing him against his chest a little too hard for my liking or burping him a little too hard for what I think would be appropriate. I tried bringing it up a few days ago - and he got really upset, saying he doesn't know what to do when he's screaming like that and he gets even more frustrated when the baby immediately calms down when put to breast - even if he's not eating. He gets angry and says he needs to be able to calm him for when I go back to work and he's by himself. I try to peacefully remind him during the evenings to take a deep breath, and calm down - and he says that he doesn't like me saying that because it makes him feel like an incapable father.

Well, last night was especially bad. Baby screamed for like 3 hrs; only thing that consoled him was being next to my breast - even though he again wasn't eating during that time because he was already full. I was sick - and couldn't just sit there and hold him like that....and even if he fell asleep, the second I moved him he woke up; and when he realized he wasn't next to me would scream. My husband took a turn in the rocking chair with him, and was pressing his face against his chest. Which only upset the baby more - so my husband pushed against his straining and held his head there tighter. He finally calmed down - but an hour later I noticed a small bruise on his cheek.

I'm convinced it was from their rocking session and my husband being too rough in holding him. I need some advice in how to talk to my husband about this. He was always exceptionally helpful with my first - and he's never EVER intentionally hurt either one. But I'm worried if I don't help him get his temper under control he's going to unintentionally hurt him because of exhaustion and screaming. I tried telling him to just put him down and walk away to take a breather - and he says he can't just listen to him scream.

I'm lost on what to do

Re: Advice on roughness

• Options
    This is really hard. I don't have any advice but wanted to offer support and say it's great that you reached out for help. I would definitely avoid leaving him home with dad until he can show that he has his temper under control. Sleep deprivation and frustration can definitely take its toll, but it's your job as baby's mom (and dad) to prevent it from escalating to that level. Sending hugs and hope you get some actual advice from someone who has been there.

Married DH December 2014
    Expecting DS#1 November 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MargaretC5MargaretC5 member
    edited December 2015
    I agree with the PP he should not be alone with the baby until he had his anger under control. If you have not done so already I would point out the bruise to you H, he may not realize how rough he is being.
    Can the two of you brainstorm and/or google a list of ideas to try to calm a baby? Maybe if he has a list of things to try he may feel more prepared and not use force.
    In the mean time could your husband watch the baby after work when they are both calmer so you can get some sleep?
    If your husband is a reader I would really recommend The Happiest Baby on the Block or at least google the 5S's.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    While I don't have advice for the roughness issue while I was in the hospital one of the nurses gave my DH a trick for calming baby. She told him to hold him and put his pinky finger in his mouth. Some babies who like to nurse for comfort can be soothed this way. We had BF issues while there and they were more that LO was hungry because he wasn't getting much from me. So we didn't really get to try it.
  • Options

While I don't have advice for the roughness issue while I was in the hospital one of the nurses gave my DH a trick for calming baby. She told him to hold him and put his pinky finger in his mouth. Some babies who like to nurse for comfort can be soothed this way. We had BF issues while there and they were more that LO was hungry because he wasn't getting much from me. So we didn't really get to try it.

This was recommended to us in the hospital. We still do it and it works like a charm.
  • Options

Have you tried "The Hold" instantly calmed my LO.
    https://youtu.be/j2C8MkY7Co8

Edited cuz the wrong link posted

We use this too! Works like a charm!
  • Options
    Elyse1384Elyse1384 member
    edited December 2015
    Oh my! Intentional or not that is abusive and as others have said he really shouldn't be alone with LO until he can sort through things. It can be exceptionally frustrating when you can't comfort a crying newborn so that I can understand (both my kids had/have reflux and colic), but whenever one feels that level of exhaustion from the crying you just need to walk away and collect yourself as you told him. It is better for LO and him that way. This phase with LO won't last and colic or not, try soothing tactics recommended for colic as that could work.

Edit: spelling
  • Options
    You say he's never hurt him but leaving a bruise on your baby IS hurting him. You need to reconsider some stuff.
  • Options
    If my fiancé left a bruise on my child we would have some problems accident or not. You have to hold him really hard to leave a bruise.
  • Options
    My hospital handed out a DVD on how to cope with a crying baby. Call your hospital L&D dept and see if they have this. Or talk to your pedi or a therapist on how your husband can cope with a screaming LO.

I wouldn't leave him alone with your baby until you can sort this out. Perhaps you take care of LO when they are crying at night and have your husband take shifts during the day.
  • Options

Have you tried "The Hold" instantly calmed my LO.
    https://youtu.be/j2C8MkY7Co8

Edited cuz the wrong link posted

This works for us too!!
  • Options
    When I came home from the hospital I was alone with LO at nights because SO was working. There were a few times when I was super sleep deprived and frustrated. I did what the hospital recommended and would leave LO in a safe spot (bassinet, bouncer, etc), go into the bathroom and take a five minute breather. It would help me collect my cool and when I felt like I could handle the situation I would attend to my LO. Letting her cry for 5 minutes won't hurt her but being an overly stressed out mom (or dad) might. This worked really well for me and I never was rough with my LO as a result. I would suggest this to your husband. Also I second the anger management/ counseling. I've dealt with anger issues for years and counseling has really helped. Also just being able to take a nap and get a little extra sleep when I can has helped as well. Best of luck!
  • Options
    I wouldn't be able to leave my child alone with someone like that... These sound like they are early warning signs of an anger problem. I wouldn't let him stick around to see if it gets worse if I felt my child was in danger.
  • Options

"If you do that to the baby again, you will find your shit on the street and the locks to the house changed. Find a grown up way to deal with your frustrations towards an innocent baby or expect to receive divorce papers."

Simple.

Your baby cannot speak for itself and relies on you to be his advocate and protect him. What your husband did is unacceptable and the last thing I'd be worried about is his poor feelings. He'll get over it or he won't. But at least you'll know that you did what you had to do to protect your baby.

I'm sorry but I can't sugar coat my response because what he did is unacceptable.

This exactly. Every bit of it. I don't love anyone more than I love my children, not even DH.
  • Options
    I think to start, you should point out the bruise to him. The appropriate reaction would be for your husband to be upset that he hurt the baby unintentionally. That is how you open the door to talk about what he can do to cope when baby is screaming, and what is inappropriate. I am sure your pediatrician or OB/midwife may be able to point you to resources for him. Ultimately, he needs to learn strategies to cope so that you can trust him eventually with your baby. Be your baby's advocate, or your H will not learn to control his temper.

If he's not horrified that he hurt the baby, then you need to get him some counseling, ASAP.
  • Options
    You've gotten plenty of advice regarding the fact that he hurt the baby, so I won't add to it.

As far as managing frustration, men generally need to fix things, so give him tools for his toolbox. Tell him to try, burping, changing, laying baby on his tummy and rubbing his back, walking in circles around the coffee table while holding baby upright and close, the hold that PPs mentioned, gripe water...or whatever you normally do. Then remind him that newborns sometimes just cry and even the best parent in the world just has to do their best to comfort and wait it out. My hubby has said similar things, "I don't know what to do," and, "I'm bad at being a dad." Remind him that pretty much all dads don't know what to do with a newborn, that babies often just want their mommies, and that in a couple years daddy is going to be the fun one for LO to be around. It doesn't make him incompetent if he can't calm a crying newborn every time.

We have a rule at night, if one of us is starting to get frustrated, they MUST hand off the baby to the other one. Because baby will feel the frustration and definitely won't calm down.
  • Options
    You've gotten a lot of advice about his anger that you should definitely take. I don't really have anything else to add in that regard.

As far as the not being able to just set him down and leave the room (because he can't stand to hear him cry) I get. I find that putting in my earbuds and listening to one good song and getting a drink of water helps immensely.
  • Options
    I hope you've done something by now. I honestly fear for your child's safety. You cannot let this keep on happening. If you do, then you're going to end up a mother to a dead baby. I hate to use those words but I hope that you see them and you realize how serious this is. I refuse to sugar coat what he's doing to your child. If you can't protect your child please give him to someone who will.
  • Options

Sorry this is so long.

My LO is about to hit 4 weeks old, and the past week he's been extremely fussy at night. During the day he's fine - he sleeps great, but then at night he wakes up every 45 mins to an hour and screams for over an hour straight. I'm convinced it's not colic - just maybe he has his days and nights mixed up.
    .../blockquote>

My husband uses his little finger instead of a breast. Does your LO like it ? If he can find a way to calm the baby himself (when baby is not hungry) it should help tremendously.

• Options
    @bigbabyface Any updates? Have you decided what you're going to do for the best? I really feel concerned for both you and your baby, it's not often I give a shit about people (excluding babies), so please understand my concern.
    Just an old bad apple with nowhere to call home :)
  • Options
    I would like an update at least. I've been constantly checking the last two days for an update to make sure everything is ok.
  • Options
    It sounds like you're handling it well and working things out. Thanks for the update.
  • Options
    The mamaroo in the closet is a great idea. Sounds like you guys have a plan in place so that doesn't happen again. Thanks for the update. I'm relieved to hear you took steps to protect your LO.

Married DH December 2014
    Expecting DS#1 November 2015
  • Options
    I felt a little weird putting it in the closet, but his room is clear across the house. This way he's close, but not AS loud.

I get the exhaustion isn't an excuse, but I'm starting to see that's really a large part of it. Thankfully this change in his work schedule is only for this week. I think he's been extremely overwhelmed with a lot of things that have been going on lately - I feel partially to blame that I didn't see it sooner.
  • Options
    Great job dealing with a difficult situation. :) May I suggest getting a yoga/exercise ball? My niece had colic, and bouncing on it lightly with her in our arms worked wonders. Yesterday my LO was super fussy, and my DH and I spent a lot of time on the ball. It was tiring, but it worked. :) You can get them for pretty cheap on amazon.
  • Options
    @solitude1984 we actually have one from my first son. It worked so well with him. The new baby HATES it.
  • Options
    bigbabyfacebigbabyface member
    edited December 2015
    For whatever reason it cut off my post.
  • Options
    bigbabyfacebigbabyface member
    edited December 2015
    For whatever reason it cut off my post. Our youngest doesn't take to the yoga ball, or the pinky finger trick. He also hates pacifiers, no matter what size or brand we give him he rejects it. He almost gags on it because he hates it so much. I think the fact that my first loved my husband so much, and at night would only fall asleep on him - is another reason why he's having a hard time right now. He is used to being able to instantly soothe our oldest - and our new little one doesn't really care for anything other than a boob
  • Options

For whatever reason it cut off my post. Our youngest doesn't take to the yoga ball, or the pinky finger trick. He also hates pacifiers, no matter what size or brand we give him he rejects it. He almost gags on it because he hates it so much. I think the fact that my first loved my husband so much, and at night would only fall asleep on him - is another reason why he's having a hard time right now. He is used to being able to instantly soothe our oldest - and our new little one doesn't really care for anything other than a boob

One thing that worked with us for my older daughter was using the exact same little blanket (really 2on rotation while one was being cleaned) every time I nursed her. It took a little while but she started to associate that blanket with nursing. Then husband was able to hold her with that blanket to calm her down when she wanted a "lean on Mom's boob but not nurse" moment. We used a really silky blanket- very different texture from the rest of her blankets, and also much smaller. (I know it's a while away, but it also helped with weaning.)
    I'm glad you are taking great steps to help your husband and your little one!
  • Options
    So glad you and your husband are able to take productive steps to help his frustration with baby! Sounds like you've got the basis for a good system.
  • Options
    All I will add is please DO NOT leave your baby alone with him until this is resolved. Your husband is basically telling you he CAN NOT handle LO right now. So if something we're to happen then that is YOUR FAULT just as much as it is his. It is your responsibility to protect that baby and it takes a split second to go from being frustrated to having a dead baby (to be very blunt). I'm not saying that your H doesn't love your baby but all the elements of having a new baby can be rough. He needs to understand loud and clear that's not ok in any way shape or form. I'm sure he doesn't want to hear that because it makes him feel "crazy" but it's true. And I don't care how tired or sick you feel you need to step up and care for the baby until he gets this worked out. There's single mom's all over that do this alone. Or bring someone into the home or go to someone's home (mom, sister, friend etc) and get some help while you rest a little. PLEASE PLEASE PROTECT YOUR BABY!