June 2016 Moms

Help me choose a name!

moky2014moky2014 member
edited December 2015 in June 2016 Moms
My husband and I are having a difficult time deciding on a name. So I decided to put it to a poll. One name he likes the most, one name I like the most & one name we both like but doesn't feel like the one. I've included the full name so you can see how it would all flow together. I can't wait to see what y'all choose!! Thanks ❤️
(Edit: Alysse is pronounced "Ah-Lee-ss" it's my middle name)

Help me choose a name! 121 votes

Alysse Dylann Ester
19% 23 votes
Dylann Alysse Ester
42% 51 votes
Katie Jane Ester
38% 47 votes

Re: Help me choose a name!

• I like Dylann for a girl!
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I cited Katie Jane because I'm not a big fan of the spelling of Alysse. I'm not 100% sure how to say it

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I picked Katie Jane because I like it and because I associate Dylann as a boys name and like PP wouldn't be sure how to pronounce Alysse. (I'm assuming it's Al-iss? Or Al-eese? )

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited December 2015
    I love gender bending names and Dylann Alysse or Dylann Ester both have a great flow. GL and great choices!
  • I voted for Dylann Alysse,but I agree with PP that I am not sure how to pronounce Alysse
  • I've got to agree that I'm not a fan of the extra n on Dylann or a nickname as the first name in Katie, Kathrine or Kathleen or any other version of that name will grow better professionally but they can still go by Katie if they want to.
  • I don't like creative spellings, and love classic names - Katie Jane Ester (though I'd prefer Katherine and call her Katie, but either way).
  • I like Dylan :) My ex and I were in a similar situation with DD.  I liked a name, he liked a name, and had one name we both liked.  We went in with all 3 names and waited to see which she fit better.  I am really glad we did it that way because the name we agreed one was not the name we went with. She was just NOT that name when I looked at her.  Unless DH is dead set on one name I am completely okay with doing the same for this baby. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I voted for Dylann, but like PP's, I prefer it with just one n (Dylan). 
    Me: 30 || DH: 32
    Married: May 3, 2014 

SaveSave
  • Zero people know how to pronounce my name and it's never been a problem for me. They just ask. :) I love having a unique name. I agree with pp I like the 1 n spelling of Dylan too!
  • moky2014moky2014 member
    edited December 2015
    Thanks everyone for your responses! As for the questions about the pronunciation of Alysse... It's my middle name & is pronounced "Ah-lee-ss" :)
  • I voted for Dylann Alysse. It just sounds good to me. I think the double n spelling makes it look more girly so I actually like that spelling. The only thing I'd worry about is people pronouncing it wrong (dil-An vs. dil-in). I'm just assuming your pronouncing it as the traditional Dylan. But then again I may be biased since my DD is Brooklynn (two n's because my sister and mom both have the middle name Lynn).
  • My first name is Alyse and it's pronounced ah-lease if that helps figure it out. I get a ton of compliments on it and how pretty it is but its never once been spelled right, I never find it on a keychain or anything and whenever anyone reads it for the first time (nurses, teachers, etc) they call me Alice or Alyssa. Hope that helps!

Ps. When I was little I always wanted a normal name like Marie or Katie or something but as u got older I've loved it more and more and wouldn't change a thing
  • I voted for Katie only because I don't understand why there is an extra N on Dylan
  • I said nay to Dylan cause that's my MIL show dogs name lol and Katie is too cutesy for my taste.
  • I voted for Dylann.  I like the extra "n" because it automatically tells me she's a girl.  I'm sure she'll appreciate that when she gets older.

BabyFruit Ticker

Special prayers for angels that we never met!
  • colesmom33colesmom33 member
    edited December 2015
    Dylan is our top pick if we have a girl!  I love it!
  • Love Dylan, but agree with some PP's that one n is better than two.
  • I picked Katie Jane, though I would use a proper full legal name like Katherine, Kathleen, or Katelyn, so she can use that as an adult in business settings and use Katie as a nickname.

I'm not a fan of boys' names on girls, especially when they are intentionally misspelled to supposedly make them more feminine.  

Alysse is nice, but I prefer Elise or Alyssa.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Love Dylan, one n, it's in our top 3 too!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I love Dylann as a girl's name! I've always liked the "boy-names-for-girls" trend. I'm trying, unsuccessfully might I add, to convince my fiance into the name Elliot if we end up having another DD
  • I prefer Alysse to Dylann and Dylann to Katie.  But if I have to be honest, the spelling is confusing on both Alysse and Dylann.  But I get it - Alysse is your middle name so it would be hard to change the spelling on that!  The people who know her wouldn't misspell it, but everywhere else (roll call, phone calls, etc.) I think she'd be referred to as Alice. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I like Alysse but the spelling really throws me off and I wouldn't know how to pronounce it without you telling me. I can tell you as a kid it is frustrating to have people say your name wrong all the time. I do like Dylan for a girl as long as you drop the extra N. I'm not a fan of Katie but that's hair because of a negative association for me.

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• I picked Katie but also agree with PP's that a full legal name (something like Katherine) and Katie as a nn would be better
  • We're naming our little girl Dylan, but spelled with only 1 n :)
  • I voted Dylann and I like the double nn's but not along with Alysse together it just looks kinda complicated.
  • I voted Dylann Alysse because it just flows the best, in my opinion.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had the same thought as many others and chose Katie Jane. Alysse and Dylann with those spellings are a little confusing. I dont know if its Alice, or Alise/Alyce/Elise, but if its the later i personally prefer the E spelling because it can still be confusing with any A spelling. I also think the ss then the nn are a little redundant, I wouldnt mind the spelling of Alysse as much if Dylan was just that.
  • I voted Alysse because the whole masculine names for girls thing is super overdone and tired, Katie is cute for a kid but not an adult. A full name like Katherine, Kathleen, Katelyn or even Kate would age better than Katie.

FWIW, I have an extra n in my name, which changes the pronunciation of my name (and it would do the same for Dylan, making it Dyl-Ann.) Its annoying. It's always been annoying. It's not cute or unique, it's just annoying. If you insist on sticking with Dylan, own that its a masculine name and spell it right. Being called Dylann with two Ns is much more annoying than just Dylan E.