April 2016 Moms

Fear/ Anxiety

I am finding myself more afraid of loss now that I am almost to the 3rd trimester than I was in the 1st. I am not sure if it started when my best friends lost their baby a few weeks ago. But it is now becoming a daily thing.

I went over to the loss board to see if I could get some suggestions from posts about the best way of interacting with my friend because we are hanging out on Thursday. It ended up making me even more afraid.

Up until now I have been so blessed with all healthy appointments and That has given me peace. Then to read about moms carrying full term healthy and then the LO is gone. I am trying really hard and I tell myself to repeat "I am pregnant today." But it's getting to the point that it doesn't help.

DH has been amazing and listens and holds me and tells me that no matter what this is our little girl and if something does happen it is out of my control. Usually I have very little anxiety about anything and that tends to help. Now it just makes me worried I will lose these precious moments because I am worried over nothing. Or if I do lose her the. I wasted my time with her when I could have just been enjoying her kicks and rolls.

Right now I am standing in the bathroom at work crying because I feel so ungrateful. I have a beautiful life in me and from the ultrasounds we see she has my nose. I can't imagine not having her.

I plan on talking to my doctor at my appointment next Friday. But does anyone else feel like this ever? How do you handle it. Any STMs feel like this in their first pregnancy?

I am usually the most positive person ever. I always can find the good in the bad and I am almost never worried because things that are out of my control can't be changed, but I can position myself the best way possible with what is in my control. I just can't do that right now :(

Re: Fear/ Anxiety

• I'm FTM and I worry too. Part of me doesn't want to get too excited, "just in case", and it sucks. It takes the fun and joy right out of the experience. So I know how you feel.

I hope someone has better advice for you. But just know you are not alone.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I would talk to your doctor about your anxiety, because it sounds like it might be a little more than normal. Not saying it's not normal to worry, but with our hormones and everything, pregnancy can put a body out of whack. Reach out and get a medical opinion to see what's normal, because I'm definitely not an expert! **Hugs** I hope you can find peace and enjoy the rest of the third trimester! We're almost there!!!! <3 
    C + N 8.3.13
    Baby due April 6! 
  • thaisac1thaisac1 member
    edited December 2015
    I'm also FTM and I am also always worried about the next milestone.... I am absolutely loving being pregnant but find myself often plagued by the same thoughts that have plagued you.
    I just cannot imagine a life without this baby boy, and that's the most frightening situation I can ever imagine.
    But I try to keep calm by relying on odds. By making it this far with a healthy baby, our odds are most definitely in our favor.
    My boy is here kicking me as I type this. :) He seems to do it every time I am worried. Maybe it's his way of saying "don't worry mom, I'm all good in here, I'll even play some soccer in here so you can see." :D

Wishing a healthy and stress-free pregnancy to us all!
  • Creepy internet (((HUGS))) to you lady. I can relate to how you feel. For some reason I'm not really connecting or feel a bonding with this pregnancy because I'm also afraid of a loss and I've had late term losses before. Given my poor obstetric history (that's what they call it in my charts from all the losses I've had), it's hard not to freak out or be emotional so I definitely know where you're coming from. If it's too much to handle I would definitely talk to your doctor about it because depression and anxiety during pregnancy is a real thing and it needs to be addressed. Take care.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• /hug Just keep telling yourself "we've made it this far" Generally having a positive mantra really makes things better. Say it 100 times a day. (It takes about that many times daily to make a change within your self conscious) If your anxiety starts to his we your ability to function, address that immediately with your dr. I mean having a panic attack, or the thoughts become so over whelming you can't focus on anything else to ground yourself.

I can throw statistics at you about the unlikelihood of you losing your LO this late in the game, but it sounds like you already know, and just need a pep talk. Keep us updated with how you're doing, and try to keep your chin up. /another hug
  • I agree with @olivemomma. You never stop worrying about your child. When I was a FTM I worried about Dd being hit by a car because you see soany kids in parking lots take off away from their parents. I now worry about DD being killed in a car accident when she can drive...she's two. I keep telling myself one step at a time. I enjoy her now don't wish our time together away.
  • I agree with the PP about seeing your doctor, I think your anxiety is a little bit beyond normal if you are finding it disrupting your normal day (i.e. crying at work) and some professional help may be needed. You may need to go through some counseling sessions that we are unable to provide here.

This is my rainbow baby after a loss st 10 weeks, and I constantly check his heartbeat on my monitor even if I just felt him kick a few hours prior. If I do anything out of the ordinary, I check his heartbeat again. I agree that a loss this late in the game, when I've already gotten used to the idea of this little boy being my son, would be beyond devastating.

Remember that your sadness and anxiety releases cortisol, a stress hormone that can be harmful to your child in large amounts. This is why I'm saying that if you're feeling this is a little more than regular mommy-worry... Seek help finding proactive ways to manage your stress levels. Spend some time in the sunshine, around friends, even around other babies so you can envision your future child and not a potential loss. Maybe start a baby scrapbook about your pregnancy thus far and all the positive experiences you and your little one have already had together. Make your story a positive one, starting ASAP.
  • Thank you loves. Creepy Internet :hugs: for all. I definitely plan on talking to my doctor at my appointment next week.

It does help to 1) not feel alone in these feelings and 2) to just say some of this "out loud" to people who understand.

I had a 10 minute conversation earlier with one of the managers at one of my stores (I am loss prevention over 8 stores) and she kind of explained stuff in a silly way and it oddly made me feel way better.

She said it could be the combination of getting through the holidays and this is probably the first time in my pregnancy things have slowed down at work and seeing my friend in person for the first time since her loss. Then she went into her anxieties in her pregnancy and how she basically became Seth Rogan in Knocked up when he was driving the baby home at the end.

I also just got done talking to my best friend and the doctors have found the cause of her losses and her LO passing basically saved her life. She had a clotting disorder that could have killed her and the LO. In reality the doctor said her DS (who is 2) is practically a miracle baby. She said her LO was her guardian angel. So the reality that her baby had a purpose to fulfill, even if it was accomplished in the womb has definitely made some of the anxiety calm down.