April 2016 Moms
Options

Homesickness

I grew up in Pennsylvania, but moved to Virginia a little over 8 years ago. I've never been one to get homesick for periods of time after visiting. Since my husband is law enforcement, he was unable to make the trip up north for the Christmas holiday, so I split the time, and took a solo trip. Upon my return, I found myself sobbing uncontrollably, and isolating myself from everyone and everything. It was so bad that I made another trip back up. Has anyone else experienced this? (I'm 23 weeks along)

Re: Homesickness

• Options
    spatter1spatter1 member
    edited December 2015
    It's hit or miss for me. I grew up in New Jersey and have lived in Virginia for almost 12 years. Some times after a visit home I'm totally depressed and sad and other times I'm happy to get back to our own home and space.

Edited bc ugh autocorrect

• Options
    It's normal. When I lived in MD we would talk a lot about when we moved back to the Midwest. Now that we are back there are times I really miss MD and being far away from the drama of families and friends.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the reassurance, ladies! I'm sure that my hormones are going haywire now. (Or so my husband says...pssh. Haha) the thought of not having grandparents around for our first born is really hitting hard now.
  • Options
    JadaBlueJadaBlue member
    edited December 2015
    I've definitely experienced this.  I move to random foreign countries every couple of years for my job, and it hits me soon after I arrive in a new place (every time).  For me it's helpful to know it's a stage, but I recommend paying attention to your feelings and staying in constant communication with your husband about how you're doing.  If you feel like this for a while after LO is born, its sounds like you guys need to think about how to address the issue.
  • Options
    I've lived in 3 different countries over the last five years and more than ever am I missing home (Toronto). For me it has something to do with wanting the comfort of family and dear long-term friends during this enormous change in my life. Perhaps somebody from your hometown can come and visit you? Perhaps that might quell some of the homesickness you are feeling.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    asvannoy said:

Thanks for the reassurance, ladies! I'm sure that my hormones are going haywire now. (Or so my husband says...pssh. Haha) the thought of not having grandparents around for our first born is really hitting hard now.

I grew up 3 hrs from both sets of my grandparents. Even though we were far apart we had a close bond. We now live 3 hrs from my parents and two blocks from the ILs. At 2 Dd has formed a bond with my parents and siblings because she rarely sees them and the feelings of wanting to spend time are mutual. My ILS get the cold shoulder or attitude from time to time because they try to raise her (pet peeve but they do daycare for us so some is to be expected).
  • Options
    I think it's normal, but probably magnified lately by pregnancy hormones. I grew up in Connecticut, and have been living in CA for the past 11 years. I went back to the CT area for the first time a few years ago and homesickness hit me hard. It was so nice to be around an area that was completely familiar to me. It was so bad that I started browsing real estate websites and dreaming about moving back. I eventually came to my senses and realized that I love where I live in CA, but still... it's hard not to long for the place where you grew up! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I feel ya.. I moved 3 hours from 'home'.. And my dad is selling my childhood home this week. I'm crushed, and would love to be home to say goodbye, but it's not in the cards.

Here are some Creepy internet hugs for you. ;)
  • Options
    You all are so wonderful. I just found it to be so out-of-character for me. I've been on my own since I was 18, and am now 30. I'm sure these emotions surfaced when I first left, but I can't recall exactly how long they lasted, or even another time that they have been this intense. (Just like Poppy16, I've even searched real estate back in Pittsburgh.
  • Options
    @Poppy16 -- I'm feeling the same!

I moved from Massachusetts / Connecitcut to Arizona a year ago. I thought I would LOVE it, and never look back. But the truth is I miss the familiarity, too.

I miss the simplest things - like pretty houses with porches, going into the grocery store and knowing exactly where everything is, Hood dairy (I'm really missing their eggnog this year), Christmas Tree Shops, and other New England things that we don't have out here in Arizona.

I also miss Dunkin Donuts being the #1 coffee place in town :wink:

Pregnancy Ticker