February 2016 Moms

Thoughts about ear piercing...

I just wanted to get thoughts about baby ear piercings. I know my LO isnt here yet but I was wondering where you all stand on getting babies ears pierced? Most places where I live do them around 6 months or so. Do you think we as parents chose to have them done? or should she chose when they are older. I have always imagined and dreamed of having a little girl one day :) and seeing her with little pearl earrings would tug at my heart strings. 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Thoughts about ear piercing...

• Oh geez totally not my intentions... Im a worm free zone over here! lol Thanks for the heads up!
  • Loading the player...
  • With my stepdaughter they (her mom and dad) had agreed to wait until she was old enough to ask to have it done. She got them done about a year ago for her 6th birthday. One of our twins is a girl this time around and I think we'll stick to the same idea. When she's old enough to ask for it we'll consider. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • To each their own.

I was all "I'll let her choose when she's old enough" before I had my girls. Then after a year and a half of family still not being able to tell the twins apart I caved for a semi-permanent solution and haven't regretted it since. Everyone can tell them apart now and I feel like that makes them feel like less of a unit when family can better individualize them.

If we have another girl, we'll probably wait until she asks.
  • My parents had mine done when I turned 2. I don't remember a single thing from it and I'm glad they did that because I don't remember it and I think it helped my holes never close as an adult because I had them for so long. But that's just my opinion on myself. I haven't really given thought about what I would do.
  • Good question! I hadn't thought too much about it but now that I am, I'll probably let her decide when she's old enough.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I decided not to pierce my daughters ears as an infant because if she does get them pierced some day, I want it done the right way, with a needle by an actual piercer. I don't know if they do that for babies...
    Also, I thought it'd be fun for her to reach that decision and to make a special trip for the occasion.
    I'm not so against it that I think it's an issue worth getting worked up about, and I do think it can look cute on little girls!
    I got my ears pierced for the first time around age 5 because that's when I decided I wanted to and I remember it as a milestone of sorts. That probably factors into my decision.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I begged my parents to let me pierce my ears and they finally caved when I was like 9. It is a great memory of getting ready for the pain, keeping them clean, turning them, etc - I felt so grown up! Also (not trying to be a "drama llama" but you DID ask) I personally feel like a baby girl with pierced ears looks tacky. Just my opinion. You'd probably hate the way I dress my son :)
  • I know this is going to start a debate, and to each his/her own, but I don't believe in performing elective procedures on infants. It's why I won't pierce my daughter's ears until she can make the decision on her own and it's why I didn't circumcise my son.
  • We got DD's done at 2.5yrs. She wasn't traumatized and we've had no problems
  • My parents let me do it when I wanted to. I went and got it done when I was 13 with my friends at the mall (typical teen girl rite of passage thing) I will let DD decide if she wants to when she is ready
  • I waited until my daughter could decide, mostly because I wanted it to be her choice but I also wanted it to be something we could do together when she chose to. My 4 year old recently started asking almost daily for it to be done she was so excited to be like mom and grandma. So I took her to a place where they used a needle and she didn't have any redness or soreness.. No issues whatsoever. She didn't even cry. Like a pp said I definitely recommend the needle route over the gun whenever you decide to do it.
    Baby #3 due February. Dx with Spina Bifida Myelo  "good things are coming down the road, just don't stop walking"
  • We are waiting until she's older. I read a very interesting article about this topic on Scary Mommy. It referenced using a licensed piercer at like a tattoo parlor over Claire's or the mall. I had to tend to agree because getting my ears and cartilage done at the mall I experienced issues with infections. When I got the ole belly button done (14 years ago lol) I had it done by a professional and it healed nicely. My friends recently got their infant DD pierced and it horrified me so we are waiting :) they think it looks fabulous though so I agree with pp's it has to be a decision with you and your SO.
  • I will let her (and DD1) decide when they are ready to take care of them on their own. I was around 10? I still remember how exciting it was, what I was wearing, when they were done, etc.

Ear piercing serves no purpose other than modification of appearance, and I personally don't believe it's my place to make that kind of choice for my daughter.

• My best friend from college who is now 32 doesn't have pierced ears and she never wanted them. Maybe your baby won't ever want them? Maybe it's no big deal. If I ever have a daughter my philosophy will be her body, her choice.
  • Latina211508Latina211508 member
    edited December 2015
    I got both my daughters ears pierced at 2 months. Their pediatrician said it was fine to get them pierced after their first shots. They cried for literally two seconds and it was done. I'm glad I got them done and I have had zero complications with their ears. My children never yanked on the earrings or pulled them out etc. I also chose to get my sons ears pierced when he was 3.5. He was asking to get them done for a while. Since he was older and more aware he was excited at first until the first hole was pierced. He cried a lot more than my daughters but he wanted them both pierced. After it was done he was all smiles. He will be 7 in Feb and I personally love them, so does he. I'm having a boy and this conversation hasn't been brought up between my husband and I. But I do think it's all to the parents.
  • My mom had mine and my sisters ears pierced at 6 mos. and I'm so glad! Now that I'm in my 20's I can go weeks or months without wearing earrings and my holes will probably never close. I had my second holes done at 9 and 12 and have had to pop needles through even since that, they're probably closed as we speak. It's definitely something only you can decide, but if this baby was a girl I would be getting her ears pierced at about the same age my mom did for me.
  • Actually my DH asked me about this if we were going to pierce her ears as a baby. I think I will wait for her to ask me if she wants them. I actually didn't get my ears pierce until I was 17 because of sports and everything. I actually went to Claire's and never had a problem. I have 4 holes on each lobe and got them all done at Claire's. It was one of those once I got one piercing, I wanted more. Hopefully my daughter won't go crazy with them but if she asks for them I will take her. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My parents had mine done as an infant, less than 6 months, and I did the same with both my daughters and will do the same with this one too. If she doesn't like them when she's older she can take them out. But both my daughters 9 and 7 love having their ears pierced and have never once complained.
  • I had mine done when I was a baby as a gift from my aunt. Apparently I didn't even notice the pain. However, my dad taught me how to pull out ponytails and I pulled at my earrings a couple times(this was like 2 years later), so my mom made the decision to take them out so I didn't rip my ears apart. When I was 12 my mom took me to get them done again. I wish I had never had them taken out as a baby! It was way worse now that I sleep on my ears and could really feel and register the pain.

My husband and I haven't had this talk yet, I just want to get the baby out and make sure she really is a human first. :tongue:
  • Twindling said:

Are we seriously comparing ear piercing to circumcision....

I need a drink.

Yeah, that's where it went south last time. Lol

• I'm not having a girl but if I were, I'd be waiting until she was able to make that decision on her own and turn it into a special event.

My parents never pierced my ears as a baby and I still don't have pierced ears. It was perfect for me in middle school/high school because I loved that it made me just a little different from everyone else and I loved seeing the reaction when people found out. I never really cared about it though so again, perfect for me.
  • So I'm not having a girl, but if I were, I'd probably wait, only because I personally hate the guns they use at mall kiosks and the Claire's type stores, so I'd go to an actual tattoo/piercing parlor and I'm honestly not sure what their policies are for piercing babies..

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • pbtoastpbtoast member
    edited December 2015
    I'm having a boy but if/when I ever do have a girl, I would wait. Honestly it's mostly because I don't like the way earrings (or any jewelry) looks on a newborn/baby. But that's a totally personal aesthetic preference and for me it doesn't go any deeper than that.
    Edit: added a word
  • We decided to wait with dd, mostly because we wanted it to be something she asks for and we can take her when she's older. I had mine done for my 11th birthday and it was such a "big girl" moment to share with my mom. Plus our pediatrician recommended against so that factored into our decision as well.

Pregnancy Ticker

• egraves4egraves4 member
    edited December 2015
    I don't really have an opinion on the matter (despite the fact that I'm having a girl), but coming from someone who has had 10+ piercings in my time, needles are always better than guns... Needles are used in a sterile environment only once vs. guns that are used over and over again, even if they are sterilized after every use. I may not give you an infection, and needles can too, but there is definitely a higher risk. It will probably wait until I can take her to a tattoo parlor.

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• Im having a girl and H and I have decided to wait till she's older, for the sole purpose of having something to dangle in front of her and use as leverage when she hits those nasty preteen and teen years. She can earn the privilege through chores or good grades. Ultimately though, this is a personal decision that you and your family should make together. No judgment either way.

• I won't get my daughter's ears pierced until she's old enough to ask for them and take care of them. I personally don't like pierced ears on infants and I also don't want to make that decision for her. Plus I have a fear that based on how her ears grow, the hole may not be centered as she grows older (this may be irrational, but I also don't wear drop earrings because I'm afraid of saggy earlobes lol). She'll probably also have to wait until she can afford to get them done at a reputable place vs us paying for it because we're hoping to keep her financially responsible early on
  • If we have a girl we will wait til she is older and can take care of them herself. I loved the excitement of going with my mum at 14 to get then done. It seems a lot less common in UK as well for littlies to have piercings, I don't know anyone with a baby with pierced ears, so she might be the odd one out. Most of my pupils get them pierced as an end of primary school treat (aged 11) ready to start secondary school as a 'grown up'!
  • My mom had my sisters done when she was a baby and they never did mine when i was little ,idk why but i hated that they neve did mine and i wish she would of. I hade mine pierced like 3 times when i was in elementry and they got infected twice. The third time surprisingly they didn't which is why i wish they would of done it when i was little cause i remember the 3 times they took me and the pain. Now that im older i got my second ones done, and other piercings. I asked my hubby if we are gonna do our daughtera but i dont want to put someone so tiny in pain but im still debating it.
  • We have talked about it and would like to get it done while she is an infant. I had mine done when I was 3 and as a power play against my stepmother, my biological mom kept taking my earrings out and the holes got all jacked up and eventually my stepmom gave up. So I got them done again at 6 and it was more painful because they had to re-pierce what had become scar tissue, which is tougher than normal skin.
    There is a tattoo parlor close by that was recommended by a friend who had their daughter's ears pierced there. I too do not like the guns so if we are unable to get it done with a needle then we will wait.

• My mom wanted me to choose for myself if I wanted pierced ears or not. I remember being like 5 in school and one of the girls without pierced ears. I wanted them so bad but was scared to get pierced! This went on till i was like 13 then I finally had the guts to get them done lol. If I have a girl, I will get them done when shes young so I know it will heal right and I can take care of it- prevent infection and know she's not playing/messing with them. And if she wants to take them out when older, then its up to her. Just my opinion!
  • We are waiting until she is ten. We are planning on it being a special mother daughter date for her birthday.
  • We have not pierced DDs ears because like pp said we want her to make the decision and it be a mommy daughter experience. Also my mom and I have bad allergies to certain metals. I can only wear gold earrings. Even if they say hyperallergenic, nickle free, or surgical steel I get infections or super itchy ears. I just want my daughter to be able to tell me if her ears are bothering her.
    I do think little girls look cute in their earrings
  • Thank you all for the input you have given. I really am still on the fence about it hearing some of your stories and thoughts. Thats why I love this board. I was able to ask other mommies opinions and understand different points of view. 
  • egraves4 said:

I don't really have an opinion on the matter (despite the fact that I'm having a girl), but coming from someone who has had 10+ piercings in my time, needles are always better than guns... Needles are used in a sterile environment only once vs. guns that are used over and over again, even if they are sterilized after every use. I may not give you an infection, and needles can too, but there is definitely a higher risk. It will probably wait until I can take her to a tattoo parlor.

I made them open a fresh needle for all of my piercings . They used a needle when I got my ears done as a baby too. (The proof in that is that my scars are slightly misaligned lol) but now rules are so different regarding minors. :neutral:

I also had my piercings done in multiple states so I REALLY made sure each place would open sterile packaging in front of me, since I had never been before. Now I have no piercings (besides my ears which don't close) I wanted to keep my belly button but it was taken out and closed during my appendectomy at 11 weeks! Oh well. That means I'll have to get it again ;)
  • baya5 said:
    We have not pierced DDs ears because like pp said we want her to make the decision and it be a mommy daughter experience. Also my mom and I have bad allergies to certain metals. I can only wear gold earrings. Even if they say hyperallergenic, nickle free, or surgical steel I get infections or super itchy ears. I just want my daughter to be able to tell me if her ears are bothering her. I do think little girls look cute in their earrings
    I didn't even consider this even though after/during pregnancy it seemed like I grew allergic to metals. I'll have to try gold, I've tried stainless steel and it seems better than nickle or plated ones etc. Otherwise I can only wear my earrings about once a week! :(