1st Trimester

Are there any safe meds?

Good morning!

I am anxiously awaiting to speak with my doctor's office, but wanted to reach out here first.  I have a ridiculous head cold and won't take a thing until I speak with my doctor.  Can anyone confirm if there are any meds that we can take that are safe for baby?  I took a super hot shower to help clear my sinuses, and we bought a humidifier last night as well. 

Thanks everyone!

Re: Are there any safe meds?

• My doctor gave me a list of medicines that are ok, so when I had a lot of congestion, I took mucinex, sudafed and Benadryl depending on my symptoms. All three are considered safe according to my doctor's list. Just make sure you don't get any that include ibuprofen, as that's one to avoid.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Thanks so much for the information! I'm glad to hear there are a few options for me! I will absolutely stay away from ibuprofen.

• Loading the player...
  • Good morning!

I am anxiously awaiting to speak with my doctor's office, but wanted to reach out here first.  I have a ridiculous head cold and won't take a thing until I speak with my doctor.  Can anyone confirm if there are any meds that we can take that are safe for baby?  I took a super hot shower to help clear my sinuses, and we bought a humidifier last night as well. 

Thanks everyone!

Can  you give your doc a call? They can definitely give you a small list over the phone. My doc gave me a big list. Let me see if I can find it.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I was able to get in touch with my doctor!  She said I am fine to take Claritin (plain), Robitussin (plain, no alcohol), Halls and Tylenol.  Options are good!  Of course I haven't had a cold in ages. 
  • I am suffering as well right now and my Dr told me that during the first 12 weeks they don't recommend anything as that is when all the baby's organs are forming . Told me to drink hot water with lemon and honey and sit in the bathroom with the shower as hot as it will go to steam up the room.
    Every dr is different I am sure but I was told this in my first pregnancy as well.
  • I had a terrible cold at 32 weeks and even after the cold went away, the head congestion/clogged sinus lasted for another 3 weeks! I couldn't breathe at all and was up all night. I was miserable until I got a saline sinus rinse which worked wonders in a couple of days. Neti pot is one of the types you can use, but there are lots on the market. For the active cold I drank lots of hot water with honey and lemon and used Vicks inhaler (UK version is OK, but US version might have different formulation). 
  • @mandylahner I have actually only taken two half doses of the Robitussin the doctor said I could take out of fear.  I have been trying to rest up and drink lots of fluids.  It's amazing how fast you can break all habits once you find out you have a little cutie growing inside of you! I'm feeling about 50% better today and am looking forward to this continuing!