June 2016 Moms

Car seat recommendations

This has probably been asked before so I apologize in advanced but I'm a FTM and looking for car seat recommendations? Safety is the most important thing to me. I have been reading reviews and consumer reports and overall I've read the Chicco KeyFit 30 has the best ratings. Any other recommendations you ladies have?
Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

Re: Car seat recommendations

• I got the Britax 35 it has higher sides and can take more impact.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
  • I'm planning on buying the Maxi-Cosi Mico AP carseat -- lightest on the market and that makes a difference to me. :smile: 
  • Loading the player...
  • I was so worried about getting the safest car seat for our LO too (FTM too). I joined a Facebook group called Car Seats for Littles and they assured me that all car seats have to pass the same safety tests so they are all safe. Consumer ratings typically come from how easy the seat is to install. They (and the wonderful ladies here) suggested driving your car to Babies 'R Us and they will let you and an employee take the seats you want to try to your car and see how they fit. Get what fits best into your car and what you're able to install properly :)

After the holiday season we're going to go try the Chico Keyfit, Graco Snugride, and Britax B-Safe.

Also, I wanted to get the seat that has the highest weight limit but after listening to the ladies here I realized by the time my LO hits 30-40 lbs I'm not going to want to he carrying them around in a big old car seat so I'll be switching to a convertible anyways. I apologize for the long post but wanted to give you all the info I have!
  • I had a Chicco Keyfit 30 with DD, and loved it. We'll be using it again with this baby!
  • I would also recommend figuring out what stroller you want so you get a car seat that works with your stroller.

My cousin and SIL both got the Britax travel system that's a car seat & stroller and love it.

I am getting the UppaBaby Mesa because we have the Vista stroller, and because it has great reviews plus a 6 year life instead of 5. It is definitely on the pricier end though.

I also agree with PP that any newborn seat is going to have certain safety regulations so none would be "unsafe".
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Okay thanks ladies I'll definitely go to babies r us and try out a few different ones. We were also looking at a Britax car seat. We are between the Britax bsafe and Chicco KeyFit 30. I will look at stroller options and what works best in our car to decide.
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• This is the link to the csftl recommended seats. They are certified techs and look at all the seats and these are the ones they recommend. They also have a Facebook page. If you are a member you can give information like what type of car and your budget and they are great at making recs for you specifically.

https://csftl.org/recommended-seats/

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• I'm planning on buying the Maxi-Cosi Mico AP carseat -- lightest on the market and that makes a difference to me. :smile: 

@catherinekate we have the 2015 model (got from a friend who works for maxi cosi and didn't have any room left to store it lol) and they are pretty cool.
    That being said, I don't think I like it enough to not want to go get a different one. I'm not a fan of the color she gave us (I can't be picky since she gave it to us for free), and I don't like the stroller options, besides the city select, which DH and I would like to avoid purchasing until kid unit #2 is in the making. Lol.
    We are leaning towards the Chicco Keyfit as well, and will get the travel system to save money.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have the Chicco key fit 30, and now we are using the convertible Next fit. I love Chicco! If I did it over again, I would choose Chicco or Britax. DH has a grace in his car and it's just ok in my opinion. The chest clip feels flimsy compared to the next fit.

• MamaNicoleof3MamaNicoleof3 member
    edited December 2015
    Whatever is installed correctly 100% of the time and has baby in the seat with the chest clip in the correct position and the straps tight enough will be the safest for your family.
  • I loved our Chicco Keyfit 30. They have great options for stroller attachments too!! We got the Travel Lite (I don't remember the exact name) and I have no complaints except for the sun shield wasn't amazing. It could have been bigger.
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• @sdLindenberg We are thinking the city select stroller actually but we are a long way from purchasing anything!
  • Depends on what you want, convertible or bucket seat. With 2 kids, one who will be 17 months old when #3 comes along I'm totally going convertible. Hopefully if I can fit a 3rd graco 4ever in my van that is what we are getting. I see car seats for.the Littles was suggested, such a great group!

Teagan-11/22/10
    Scarlett Madison-12-18-2014
    Baby # 3 Due 06/02/16

Furchildren include
    Kali 12/20/10-Husky-Has Addison's Disease.
    Doxie 10/04/11-Dachsund
    Tadley 11/12-Cat Ruler of the house.
  • Chicco key fit was great but the sun shade is oddly small.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker