January 2016 Moms
Options

no signs of labor

I'm 37+6 and I feel I have ZERO signs of going into labor. I have NO patience and this last stretch is killing me!!!! I know it is best to wait for my sweet boy to vacate on his own, but part of me wants to take the ob's offer of induction (he also offered an elective c section!!) at 39 weeks. *sigh* I can't be the only extremely anxious momma contemplating these options!!! I haven't even gone through any nesting  :(

Re: no signs of labor

• Options
    Id take it in a heartbeat. I'm so ready to be not pregnant!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just curious ..... I'm 38 w +1 with no signs of labor other than BH and the baby's head is very low lying. Why is your MD offering these to you (size of baby , position in womb) ? I'm surprised they are offering up these suggestions 2 weeks before EDD. I've heard alot of MDs pushing these things to get more insurance dollars . I'm getting impatient too trust me but I'd rather it happen on its own personally. No judgement on what you plan to do :)
  • Options
    This is just my personal experience, but I plan to avoid an induction at all costs. Keep in mind I was induced with my first at 39 weeks due to elevated blood pressure (not officially hypertension or pre-eclampsia). I went in on Monday and she didn't arrive until Thursday. Baby will definitely "come when they're ready."

I truly hope you have a better experience when your baby comes, however that may be. Just don't go into an elective procedure with rose colored glasses thinking it's the way to end your pregnancy misery. There are other miserable scenarios that could arise.

As for c-sections maybe search the boards around here (I'd search all boards for c-section birth story or recovery) to see what other's experiences were and see if it scares you off or if that is something that would work for you.
  • Options
    I think the reason you aren't finding much on "elective" inductions/ c sections is because generally they aren't done, but rather are used for medical reasons even if it's just being post date. Of course there are exceptions, but honestly if there is zero reason for doing it I would even worry about insurance paying- especially for an elective c section, which especially if you want more kids I would really avoid unless absolutely necessary. We're all pretty miserable but it really won't be for much longer one way or another.
  • Options
    Yeah, to be honest I've just been lurking and shy since May. I kind of don't have any support or anyone to talk to besides my husband, which is why I finally came here - looking for anyone with experiences similar to what I'm going through. Thanks for your time, ladies.
  • Options
    hes8668hes8668 member
    edited December 2015
    Rach8672 said:
    Just curious ..... I'm 38 w +1 with no signs of labor other than BH and the baby's head is very low lying. Why is your MD offering these to you (size of baby , position in womb) ? I'm surprised they are offering up these suggestions 2 weeks before EDD. I've heard alot of MDs pushing these things to get more insurance dollars . I'm getting impatient too trust me but I'd rather it happen on its own personally. No judgement on what you plan to do :)
    My OB said "if I was a woman, I would opt for a c section". Honestly, everything with the pregnancy has been going great... Which is why I came here looking for others' thoughts.. I didn't know it was an option to have elective inductions or c sections! To be honest, I think I want to try to hold off and have him come when he is ready, I just know they're going to ask me what I want to do at my appointment tomorrow.
  • Options
    maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited December 2015
    OP - I feel like your OB is kind of odd for offering induction or even an elective c-section for what appears to be no medical reason!  I would definitely not choose a c-section just because.  As PP have mentioned it's a longer recovery, there are risks, just like in any surgery, and also there are some health reasons for the baby where vaginal birth is preferred, if it's possible (for example - absorbing his or her mother's healthy bacteria via the birth canal that they aren't able to do via c section.)  Of course, c sections are absolutely necessary in emergency situations or situations like breech babies, but I wouldn't choose one without a medical reason.

As for inductions, I'm a FTM so take this with a grain of salt, but I've read about a million birth stories lately and it seems like inductions can be rough going.  For example, pitocin induced contractions can be way tougher to get through as opposed to natural ones.  As very, very eager as I am for baby to arrive in a timely fashion, I'm also very much hoping to avoid an induction unless there's a medical reason.

Anyway, I think we all sympathize with feeling more than ready for our LOs to arrive.  :)  Good luck for something happening soon!
  • Options
    MamaHollandMamaHolland member
    edited December 2015
    @hes8668 that's sad that your OBGYN said that. You should really do some research about the risks of c-sections & inductions. Did you read books, watch videos etc about birth options? Have you researched what implications a csection has on subsequent pregnancies? Have you talked to or been around a mother recovering from a csection? Have you seen csection scars? Have you read about csection complications?

If he offered a csection did he also outline the recovery process? You do realize that you won't be able to walk stairs?

There's times when women have to get c-sections but it really isn't a procedure one should just elect without a medical necessity. You really should do some research.
  • Options
    The elective c section wasn't really much of an option for me, I just threw in that they offered it. The induction is more what piqued my interest, but I don't think it is the best option for us. Of course this is all if things go well, emergency is a different story.
  • Options
    @hes8668 you could look into some of the natural induction methods, I'm going to ask about that at my next appointment- even if it's silly stuff like having sex a lot or walking all the time or practicing using my breast pump - or acupuncture, I'm not sure they are anything more than old wives tales, but if my doctor says there is no harm to trying them than why not, it will give me the sense of hope (true or not) that I'm helping move things along, because like you, I am getting very impatient.
  • Options
    Also wanted to add that membrane stripping is a good option to give you that push into labor- it won't work if your body isn't ready but is much less intense than a full induction
  • Options
    I'm 40+1 with no signs of labour. My doctor will only talk about inducing at my appointment on Thursday.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs, it seems very weird that your OB offered the c-section, especially this early. Glad you're not considering it. 

As for inductions, all my own research said that they shouldn't really be performed unless medically necessary (that includes reaching the 42 weeks), and my OB told me that they usually extend labour and make it more difficult, and it's best to let baby come when ready if possible. 
  • Options
    jeanbug12jeanbug12 member
    edited December 2015
    I have had an induction and a c-section. I was induced with my first because I was a week passed my due date, I was uncomfortable and so over being pregnant and induction seemed like a wonderful idea! It was miserable, I labored for 24 hours, I pushed for 3 hours and I ended up having to have a c section. C section recovery is hard, I had a lot of pain and couldn't even get out of bed on my own.

With my second, I refused induction and she was born at 42 weeks, labor was easier without the induction and recovery from a vaginal delivery was 1000x's better than surgery!

I find it really strange that your doctor would say he would opt for a c-section!
  • Options
    Leah6120Leah6120 member
    edited December 2015
    @hes8668 I think the vast majority of us feel some version of how you feel.. signs of labor or no. We're in the home stretch and it's mentally and physically miserable.

I'm personally against elective inductions and DEFINITELY c-sections for myself bc of the type of labor I am hoping for. And I'm saying that with a mom that has to drive 500 miles when I go into labor to hopefully make it in time. But it's ultimately all your decision. But unless you are having medical complications I'm a personal believer in letting your baby come when he/she is ready.. despite the misery on our parts. Have you tried making a list of things to do before baby arrives? Washing their clothes and linens, installing carseat, etc. I spread some of it out to give myself stuff to do while I wait.
  • Options
    I've had 2 previous csections. I have the option of a scheduled inducement (for vbac) or repeat section. They won't do much until week 39 though. That's kind of the beauty of having a previous csection. I like having the choice. However it's very rare to hear for a first time mom. To each their own though. At the end of the day the way you birth has no effect on anyone but yourself! Good luck!!
    N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • Options
    I am totally with you! I'm 38w4d and can't wait for baby girl to get here!! I am having my tubes tied while I'm having my csection on Monday... I am just not built to be prego anymore. I love my daughters but I think this pregnancy did me in!
  • Options
    SummerOH said:

I seriously question a doctor who is offering an elective csection for no other reason than you are uncomfortable. Late pregnancy is uncomfortable. A csection is a major surgery that comes with additional recovery concerns. My doctor only does them if mom or baby's health is at risk. Another week or two is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I went a week overdue with my second and am fully expecting the same this time. 37 weeks is still early, so no signs of labor is common. Also, some women walk around for weeks dilated and effaced, whereas others have no signs right up until labor starts.

SummerOH said:

I seriously question a doctor who is offering an elective csection for no other reason than you are uncomfortable. Late pregnancy is uncomfortable. A csection is a major surgery that comes with additional recovery concerns. My doctor only does them if mom or baby's health is at risk. Another week or two is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I went a week overdue with my second and am fully expecting the same this time. 37 weeks is still early, so no signs of labor is common. Also, some women walk around for weeks dilated and effaced, whereas others have no signs right up until labor starts.

I would be questioning the heck out of a doctor that said that. Your body was made to push out a baby. Why would your dr say elective major abdominal surgery is better? If you and baby are in danger I completely understand but it just sounds like your dr is trying to fit you in his schedule and babies don't work like that.

• Options
    I think towards the end of pregnancy we all feel uncomfortable and just plain ready to have our babies. It's natures way of mentally preparing you for birth (at least that's my opinion). At the end of the day, you need to set your personal agenda aside and think of your babies. Perhaps there is a reason he/she is not ready. It's healthiest for the baby to decide when he/she is ready.

That being said, once you pass the 40 week mark, most doctors will discuss other options. Some even wait till the 42 mark depending on the Doctor. I know mine will discuss induction after 40 weeks, but I am hoping to go naturally beforehand. Try to remember you are almost done, and the outcome of your patience is a beautiful healthy baby!
  • Options
    The really funny part about this is that my water broke at 38+4 and I wasn't having contractions so they induced me. Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    39+2 and cervix still closed
  • Options
    39.1 and I was avoiding cervical checks because I didn't want to drive myself crazy but they had to last week because of sharp pain. I'm closed, 70% effaced and baby's in the 0 station. I wish so much this meant a damn thing but I know it doesn't. I'm a FTM and I'm told we're less likely to dilate early FWIW. I had more signs of labor a few weeks ago than I do now but I'm trying to make the best of things and work on my patience. I'm glad this thread is up though, it helps to know I'm not the only one on edge awaiting labor. I want to hold my baby so badly!