December 2015 Moms
Options

Biggest fear - snowstorm

So here I am. My due date is today. I MADE IT! It's also been a very mild winter in Wisconsin and we are expecting our first big storm tonight - 10+ inches in our area.

I've had this fear since I found out I would be due in December. But I've been feeling good because winter has been so easy this year

What do I even do if I go into labor? We only live about 20 minutes away but my anxiety has shot through the roof now. Originally they were predicting 2 inches of snow. My husband is a good driver and 10 inches isn't even that alarming in Wisconsin but the first snowstorm always sucks cuz everyone forgets how to drive in it.

These are not the things I wanna worry about!

Re: Biggest fear - snowstorm

• Options
    I am in Wisconsin too, but I think I am further south then you are because we are only supposed to get 3-5 inches here.

I am 40+4 today and scheduled for an induction tomorrow morning. I have been thinking how ironic it is that, like you mentioned, we have had like nothing all December and now there is a snow/ice storm! Luckily we are only about 5 minutes from the hospital, but it is still an annoying little aspect of all of this.

Hopefully your baby will stay put for a little longer so you don't have to deal with the storm too much. Good luck!!
  • Options
    Experiencing the same thing!! First snowfall in NH tomorrow but it's only suppose to be 3-6 inches. I'm still worried about getting to the hospital and getting my daughter to her grandparents if I go into labor. I'm 40+4 so it could literally be any day now and knowing my luck it will be tomorrow.

I'm about 30 minutes from the hospital and I plan on figuring things out nice and early then making my way there. If I have to hang out there for awhile before they admit me and do a couple walking laps I will but just relax and take it slow.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm starting to have labor pains and was just thinking "if I was back home in Wisconsin this would be the worst timing!" But I would still rather be there than where I am now. I would say have towels and supplies ready in your car and home incase worst comes to worst and you can't make it to the hospital, if you believe labor is starting, make your way there... Better safe than sorry and worst case senario is it isn't real labor and they send you home! Best of luck!
  • Options
    I feel you! Due date today as well (yay, we made it @racheldelacruz !) and we're expecting some "wintry mix" tonight into tomorrow (I'm in MA). My ride to the hospital is anywhere from 25 minutes to 2 hours, depending on traffic. Add some nasty weather into that and it's a serious hot mess. So, I totally get/share your anxiety. I'm sure you'll be fine but even if baby decides to follow Murphy's Law and comes during the storm, just try to relax and like the pp said, plan to get to the hospital earlier than you would if there were no snow. They won't turn you away in a storm and you'll feel better just being close by.

Everyone  drive safe and slow and good luck!  :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies! I hope that if any of you go into labor today that all goes well and your drive is safe :)
  • Options
    No major signs yet - other than some kick ass nesting that I did today ;)
  • Options
    Keep in mind if you feel unsafe driving in winter weather you can totally call an ambulance. Obviously it's not ideal and can be expensive but safety is important and I definitely had that up my sleeve as a just in case option had I gone into labor in a storm.