June 2016 Moms
Options

Frustrated over crib bedding!

Why does it seem so hard for me to find something i like, that is not discontinued!?  I just want simple rustic elegance, no animals or "busy" patterns.  Literally just spend the past 4 hours looking for crib bedding.  I found about 7 different ones that i could have bought right then....and every single one of them was not available anymore.  yes i was searching google but i also searched bed bath & beyond, target, babies r us, buy buy baby, wayfair and sears.  Maybe i am just too picky but everything i wanted was fairly simple so what is the big deal?  I know i still have some time but apparently it's going to take me the next 6 months to find something. Here are two examples.  I guess i'm just having a venting moment!!!

Bananafish Logan Crib Bumper in BrownGold blue and chocolate brown

Re: Frustrated over crib bedding!

• Options
    I had a hard time finding something I liked with my son. I finally found something on etsy that I loved and spent pretty much the same as I would have at babies r us
    Mrs. H
    Crohn's Dx: August 2008
    Endometriosis Dx: May 2010
    Married: 05/19/2012
    TTC #1: June 2013
    BFP: December 2013
    DS: Born 08/29/2014
    TTC #2: July 2015

BFP #2: September 25, 2015

• Options
    That's so annoying! I get frustrated when I see something I like on Amazon.com for a decent price and then the same thing on Amazon.ca is hundreds of dollars! UGH!

My only suggestion is to try Etsy for bedding like that. If you can't find exactly what you're looking for you might be able to find someone that'll do a custom order. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try baby bedding.com it's very pricey but it's where I got DS's and I am so happy with it (it's also called Carosel designs). We wanted plain red and navy blue for a baseball theme and got exactly what we wanted that we couldn't find anywhere else. They have an app you can download where you can design your own and have it made. You can purchase samples of their colors to make sure it's right.. I think we spent $10 doing that and it was worth it. They have most all colors and patterns to choose from. Excellent quality.
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    There are Etsy shops that let you use your own fabric. You just mail them your fabric and they mail you back the finished item. Let me know if you'd like a shop suggestion :wink:
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I ended up falling in love with a discontinued set for DS and getting it from some random baby bedding site. Not that he's ever used the comforter or cared about the crib skirt or matching window valence.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would also suggest Pottery Barn1 they have simple bedding that's not too busy.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I am so frustrated too! I found a beautiful set that matched our gender neutral theme (you are my sunshine) only to find it discontinued too. I cried... :D I have since found a set from Carousel designs but like pp said they are very pricey so I don't feel comfortable asking anyone for our registry so I will be purchasing myself and it will be my present to myself/baby. I am going to buy the fabric and have an aunt make valances for us though
  • Options
    arteduc8arteduc8 member
    edited December 2015
    Follow up question about bedding.....

What bedding do you actually need and what age can you use it? I see all these sets with quilts and bumpers and such, but you aren't supposed to use more than a fitted sheet and mattress skirt, right? What's the point? I'm tempted to just buy the fitted sheet and bed skirt to start. FTM here confused.......

And to the OP, definitely check out Etsy. I also liked some designs from land of nod.
  • Options
    arteduc8 said:

What bedding do you actually need and what age can you use it? I see all these sets with quilts and bumpers and such, but you aren't supposed to use more than a fitted sheet and mattress skirt, right? What's the point? I'm tempted to just buy the fitted sheet and bed skirt to start. FTM here confused.......

And to the OP, definitely check out Etsy. I also liked some designs from land of nod.

Really, you just need a crib sheet (I suggest 3) in my opinion. You can do a crib skirt but keep in mind you need to lower your mattress before baby can sit up on their own (about 4 months old for DS) and then lower it again to the lowest setting before they can stand up of their own (6 months for DS). My crib mattress is about 6 inches off the ground at its lowest setting so there really isn't any room for a skirt. We started letting him sleep with a small blanket when he was about 16 months old. It's just grey and blue.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    arteduc8 said:

You need several fitted crib sheets. A crib skirt is pretty if you like the look, but not necessary. Bumpers are a big no-no at least until your baby can move around at will, and even then I'd go with the mesh ones and not the puffy ones. My 2 year old sleeps in a toddler bed and still won't sleep with any blankets, so he never used the matching quilt. I have friends whose kids started using blankets at about a year old, so that varies.

Basically, crib sets are a marketing thing that appeals to nesting first time moms and aren't really useful. All you need is fitted sheets and, if you want, you can decorate with a coordinating crib skirt and curtains. Don't put quilts, bumpers, or stuffed animals in the crib or over the crib railings for the first 6 months or so (until baby is very good at rolling and is starting to crawl).
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @arteduc8 I agree with pp. all you really need is a few crib sheets. The sets are pretty useless IMO. My kids both sleep with soft fuzzy blankets. Neither one will use a normal blanket and DD is 3. Bumpers aren't recommended and if you do need one (you would be amazed how easily a leg can get stuck) I would use the mesh ones. Really those sets are just for looks and not for function. Save yourself the money and just buy a few sheets and then blankets your kids like using.

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Options
    Thanks for the info ladies! Sounds good to me and a way to save a few more dollars!
  • Options
    We only got fitted sheets, 3 was the perfect amount for us, a bed skirt, and 2 mattress protectors. I am going to get a rail guard this time. DS chipped his tooth on his rail and they make them with extra strong Velcro that even grown ups have trouble getting them off. (They only go over the top rail, not in the crib or anywhere they can suffocate). I decided we will get it right away because when we came to put one on for DS when he started standing at 10 months, he was obsessed with messing with it all night long bc it was new. And with the sleep training we were doing we didn't want to add anything new to the crib.
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Just buy sheets and a skirt. Done

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options
    For those that wonder what the bedding sets are used for...

I only used the skirt and fitted sheets for my infant.  I used the mobile for ~6months (then you have to remove it for safety concerns).  However, our crib converted to a toddler bed.  At that time, I did use the comforter for my DS.  I also used the window valence, and used the diaper bag things for stuffed toys on the side of the crib.
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• Options
    arteduc8 said:
    Follow up question about bedding..... What bedding do you actually need and what age can you use it? I see all these sets with quilts and bumpers and such, but you aren't supposed to use more than a fitted sheet and mattress skirt, right? What's the point? I'm tempted to just buy the fitted sheet and bed skirt to start. FTM here confused....... And to the OP, definitely check out Etsy. I also liked some designs from land of nod.
    Crib sheets and some really good swaddling blankets... DS would not sleep unless she was swaddled when she was smaller.  Around 18 months or so I started using a small crib comforter to cover her up.   I enjoyed having the quilt incase it did get super cold at night while feeding and the set I had came with all of that.  I used bumpers for DS and had no issues, haven't decided if I want to use them this time or not, but the bed skirt ends up being a hassle when it is time to lower the bed.  

I have no clue on bedding.  I have decided room colors just to match DS and the bathroom upstairs. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Me:23  DH:26
    Married: 6/7/14
    DS: 3/19/12
    Baby #2: June 2016
  • Options
    eBay (believe it or not) has awesome choices because it has a lot of people who hand make it and sell their own creations there.

My other suggestion... If you're handy with a sewing machine... Make your own! :smile:
  • Options
    Wanted to jump in here and ask if anyone has some good guidance on what to look for when purchasing a crib? My sister has graciously offered to purchase our babies crib once we pick it out, pottery barn has them on sale right now so I've been looking at the different options and I have no idea what makes one worth $300 and another worth $800? Any insight from you experienced mama's that seem to be knowledgeable on crib bedding - what about the crib itself? Thanks in advance! 
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • Options
    @MsBeachNJ - I looked for real wood, safe finishes, and one that converted to a toddler bed.  Basically, the front side can just be removed.  If you plan on having more than one child, I would suggest one that can tolerate being climbed on, chewed on, and banged up :smile: 

Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• Options
    Thanks @NicknShan I guess only time will tell how well they'll each stand up to the abuse of a baby in it! Sadly pottery barn doesn't have reviews posted! 
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • Options
    You all are full of such awesome info!  Thanks so much for your input on what bedding to use and when.  Should make it so much easier to sift through what's needed and what isn't.  I might look into having my MIL make a quilt for my LO later on so I can pick out fabrics and patterns I like.