March 2016 Moms

Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

Re: Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

• gmj3 said:

I'm 28 weeks and I started with some flu like symptoms last night. I haven't been able to keep anything Down in over 12 hours, even water is tough. the last few hours I've been getting horrible stomach pains. At what point should I call my OB? Everything I've read says to rest and take in fluids. Thanks ladies.

If I were you I'd call them in the morning just to let them know what's going on. They may want you to go see a doctor. I think the biggest concern would be dehydration and with you being pregnant I'd definitely want them to be aware in the event that you needed an IV or something.
  • I'm 28 weeks and I started with some flu like symptoms last night. I haven't been able to keep anything Down in over 12 hours, even water is tough. the last few hours I've been getting horrible stomach pains. At what point should I call my OB? Everything I've read says to rest and take in fluids. Thanks ladies.
    If I were you I'd call them in the morning just to let them know what's going on. They may want you to go see a doctor. I think the biggest concern would be dehydration and with you being pregnant I'd definitely want them to be aware in the event that you needed an IV or something.
    Yep if you can't keep any liquids down, go in.  Dehydration during pregnancy especially is bad news and can start causing contractions. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Loading the player...
  • A friend of mine is BF her son and she told me that if you BF, you're not supposed to try to lose much weight because the fat cells break down and end up in the breast milk. I've never heard this before....anyone know?

I went back to the gym at 12 weeks pp. I lost all of my baby weight plus 10 lbs and BF until 9 months. I stopped because dh had serious baby fever. We got pregnant immediately. I just made sure to add in some extra healthy calories and drank a TON of water. We didn't have any issues.
  • This is a really dumb question, but can you ride in a car when you're on bed rest?  I'm dying to get out of the house, even if it's just riding in the car with DH when he goes to pick up our kiddo from daycare...
  • @smushi Are there different levels of bed rest? That probably sounds dumb but the only person I know IRL who was on bed rest was only allowed to really do anything once a month.

Has anyone's doctor/midwife expressed concerns that they may need a c section based on them being small? My doctor hasn't said anything to me, but lately I've had several people ask me if I'm being scheduled to have a c section
  • Def different levels of bed rest. I've known a few people who literally weren't allowed to get up to pee-they uses bedpans. My sister was on it and was allowed to get up in the morning to move from bed to couch, and then just right to bathroom and back to couch during the day. It's strange to me you're on it and your dr didn't specify- but he would def have an answer for you.
  • @sarafoley725 I'm not sure if there are different levels but I assume since there are different reasons for bed rest, maybe there are different expectations or limitations?  My OB said sofa, restroom, I could make myself quick lunch or get water, etc, but otherwise, stay on the sofa or bed.  She told me not to do any lifting or go up and down stairs.  She just never said anything about riding in a car for a short amount of time.  I go in for my check today with her so if she decides I need to remain on bed rest I'll definitely be asking about short car rides.  I'm a home body by nature but an entire week from the sofa is pretty tough stuff.
  • @MrsLeanMeanClean what if you just labor in water? I've heard it can be really soothing and I'm imagining it'd be less messy since you don't stay in there for the actual birth.

I actually birthed my second into the water and got out to pass the placenta, which was the messy part. So I'd say that either option is much less messy than if you finish the entire ordeal in the water. Especially if your water hasn't broken yet, just being in the tub during the first stage of labor is great pain relief.

As for an earlier question about when being induced is medically necessary, most women with low-risk pregnancies don't even have to have a conversation about being induced until after 41 weeks. Then they start doing non-stress tests (NST) to monitor baby's reactions and vital signs, and sometimes send you out for ultrasound to estimate the fluid level. If everything looks good there's still no reason to induce.
  • So I'm 28w2d today! I had an ultrasound yesterday because of the gestational and they wanted to check her size. She is a whopping 2lbs 10ounces!! Apparently she is in the 58th percentile. I have no idea what this means! But it's normal?! My DH and I are just so confused lol
  • Mcbb224 said:
    So I'm 28w2d today! I had an ultrasound yesterday because of the gestational and they wanted to check her size. She is a whopping 2lbs 10ounces!! Apparently she is in the 58th percentile. I have no idea what this means! But it's normal?! My DH and I are just so confused lol
    Ummmmm normal for 58th%, sure.  For your kid, it just means that 42% of kids are larger than your kid.  And since you're close to the 50% mark, it means she's pretty average size.  DS2 was in 75% the whole time and this one is following in his footsteps.  My first was in 10%. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• skruhmin said:

Mcbb224 said:

So I'm 28w2d today! I had an ultrasound yesterday because of the gestational and they wanted to check her size. She is a whopping 2lbs 10ounces!! Apparently she is in the 58th percentile. I have no idea what this means! But it's normal?! My DH and I are just so confused lol

Ummmmm normal for 58th%, sure.  For your kid, it just means that 42% of kids are larger than your kid.  And since you're close to the 50% mark, it means she's pretty average size.  DS2 was in 75% the whole time and this one is following in his footsteps.  My first was in 10%. 

I have no idea!! I am a FTM and the sonographer said normal!! Her words not mine that's why I had asked in the first place! My DH and I are obviously new to pregnancy and such I didn't mean to offend you or anyone!
  • Mcbb224 said:

skruhmin said:

Mcbb224 said:

I have no idea!! I am a FTM and the sonographer said normal!! Her words not mine that's why I had asked in the first place! My DH and I are obviously new to pregnancy and such I didn't mean to offend you or anyone!

If the sonographer said it's normal, you're pretty safe to assume that your baby's size is, well, Normal for this point in your pregnancy. Congrats on a healthy normal baby! !
  • Anyone have some good remedies to help relieve swollen feet at the end of the day? Is there something that I can do through out the day that will help prevent swelling?

January siggy challenge - Pregnant lady problems

• SparkE82 said:

Anyone have some good remedies to help relieve swollen feet at the end of the day? Is there something that I can do through out the day that will help prevent swelling?

Make sure you are having enough to drink during the day, and elevate your feet whenever you are sitting

• smushismushi member
    edited December 2015
    SparkE82 said:
    Anyone have some good remedies to help relieve swollen feet at the end of the day? Is there something that I can do through out the day that will help prevent swelling?
    Compression socks first thing in the morning, my doctor recommended to put them on while still lying in the bed before all the blood rushes to your feet.

At the end of the day, come home and prop your feet higher than your heart.  Can you prop your feet up from time to time during the day?  Like during lunch?

If you can sleep that way, do the same with a pillow in bed.  Sleep on your left side as much as possible.

Drink lots of water during the day, which may sound counter intuitive, but it helps flush your system out.

Google 'Brewers Diet' (and ask your dr about it).  There are certain foods that you can add into your diet that can help keep swelling at bay.

ETA try not to cross your legs or ankles during the day.
  • Thanks ladies! March '16 mamas are the best!

January siggy challenge - Pregnant lady problems

• Has anyone had an epidural with one birth and gone drug free on another? I'd like to hear experiences and preferences
  • Does anyone else deal with everyone brushing you off?every time I talk to my obg he just says all my symptoms are because I'm pregnant....I have told him about cramping really bad, increasingly bad pain in my shoulder blades, I've already been to hospital once for dehydration because puking so much I'm still at negative 11 pounds and I'm almost 27 weeks. I've went into labor before early before and they never found out why and just found out last week from my friend who does the ultrasound that i have gallstones ..im still not a high risk pregnancy and he has brushed everything I told him off as normal for pregnant women
  • Has anyone had an epidural with one birth and gone drug free on another? I'd like to hear experiences and preferences

I had an epidural with my first and went med free with my second. I plan and hope to go med free with this baby as well.

I had wanted to go med free with my first, but was very overwhelmed by the pain. I don't think I was prepared for how much it would hurt! I asked for an epidural right away but didn't end up getting it until I was 9 cm. I didn't know how far along I was when I got it, which I regret not asking, because I think I could have made it knowing I was so close. I pushed for about an hour and had a second degree tear. My labor was short, about 5.5 hours and while I didn't like that I couldn't feel when to push, it went smoothly and I didn't really have any complaints about it.

My second I was more prepared for the pain, but I also think it just didnt hurt as much for some reason - probably the whole every labor is different thing. Labor was about the same length, 5.5 hours. It felt very manageable until they broke my water at 8 cm, then it got real. It really hurt then, but went quickly and she was born an hour later. A couple of pushes and no tear. It really did hurt, but it was so amazing and empowering

I totally get that it's not for everyone, and don't think there's a right or wrong choice. But I really hope this one works out like my second, because it was a wonderful experience. We'll see how it goes!

• Anyone else feel constantly feverish or flushed?  I'm constantly putting a hand to my forehead.  I don't remember this with my first pregnancy.
  • It's Saturday and my dr office is closed till Monday. Anybody know wether immodium is allowed during pregnancy? Don't want to end up dehydrated but also don't want to take something I shouldnt.
  • red3ye said:

It's Saturday and my dr office is closed till Monday. Anybody know wether immodium is allowed during pregnancy? Don't want to end up dehydrated but also don't want to take something I shouldnt.

Yes it is. Pepto bismol is out but immodium is ok.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Imodium is safe. I find the Ovia app to be a great resource for looking up medication safety.
  • kh1824 said:

Has anyone had an epidural with one birth and gone drug free on another? I'd like to hear experiences and preferences

I had an epidural with my first and went med free with my second. I plan and hope to go med free with this baby as well.

I had wanted to go med free with my first, but was very overwhelmed by the pain. I don't think I was prepared for how much it would hurt! I asked for an epidural right away but didn't end up getting it until I was 9 cm. I didn't know how far along I was when I got it, which I regret not asking, because I think I could have made it knowing I was so close. I pushed for about an hour and had a second degree tear. My labor was short, about 5.5 hours and while I didn't like that I couldn't feel when to push, it went smoothly and I didn't really have any complaints about it.

My second I was more prepared for the pain, but I also think it just didnt hurt as much for some reason - probably the whole every labor is different thing. Labor was about the same length, 5.5 hours. It felt very manageable until they broke my water at 8 cm, then it got real. It really hurt then, but went quickly and she was born an hour later. A couple of pushes and no tear. It really did hurt, but it was so amazing and empowering

I totally get that it's not for everyone, and don't think there's a right or wrong choice. But I really hope this one works out like my second, because it was a wonderful experience. We'll see how it goes!
    Thank you for your experiences! I went into pregnancy thinking I'd 100% have an epidural but I just started reading up on them and thinking I may try to skip it. I have a relatively high pain threshold and I don't like the limitations on laboring that I've read have come with the epidural. I'm going to fact check with my OB at my next appointment but I'm seriously considering skipping it.
  • @smushi - yes! I feel like my face/ears are always hot for no reason. Never remember that with my previous pregnancies. 
    Married 7.29.05 :: DD1 5.11.10 :: DD2 1.23.13 :: Baby Boy due 3.13.16!

March 2016 January Siggy: Pregnant Lady Problems
  • Okay all you STMs out there, how long was it before you left the house after having the baby? I'm not really sure what to expect here, and while I understand that everyone's different and nothing will be the same, just looking for some personal experiences here.
  • kitteh81kitteh81 member
    edited December 2015
    With my first I stayed mostly in bed or lounging around for almost a month, only leaving for doctors appointments. It wasn't hard to do because she had her days and nights mixed up, and also had pretty severe undiagnosed reflux, so I spent most nights awake trying to get her to stop crying from about 2am until 4 or 5 when my mom would take over. Then I'd sleep as much as possible while my mom took care of the baby, just waking me up every couple of hours to nurse. I think that lasted at least 3 weeks, so I really had no desire to leave the house then.

My second was a much better sleeper, so I guess being (relatively) well rested, and having a 3.5 yr old to entertain, made me be up and around more. I took my toddler to the park and to dance class within the first week, and I walked to the doctors office for the baby's first checkups instead of driving. It was a big mistake though, and ended up causing me more problems and extending my recovery time.

This time I plan to take it super easy for at least 2 weeks. My mom will be here during that time again, and I think DH is also taking some time off right away, so I plan to lean on them 100% for taking care of the girls and all household tasks while I just recover and focus on feeding the baby. I only get 2 weeks before mom leaves though, so I need to take advantage of the time.

Your own recovery time will depend greatly on how your labor goes, and also the temperament of your baby. Also if you are breastfeeding that will take a lot of your time and energy, especially during the first month or so while you are establishing your supply. I know some women need to get out here and there for their own sanity, but I definitely recommend that you take it easy and don't push yourself. You'll be bleeding for a few weeks, and everything could feel sore for a while, even if you deliver vaginally and don't tear at all. Labor's no joke!
  • Okay all you STMs out there, how long was it before you left the house after having the baby? I'm not really sure what to expect here, and while I understand that everyone's different and nothing will be the same, just looking for some personal experiences here.

I can't remember specifically, but within the first two weeks. I know I went to my parents when my first was two weeks old and we went to dinner with the baby, but I can't remember if there was anything before that. Target with my second one around 1-2 weeks, I remember because a lady said something to me about having a little baby out and about. I was so annoyed! I was going stir crazy at home with a newborn and one year old and had to get out of the house!

Immediately. Went out the day after we got home. Took DD to doctors appointment (she had to go next day because she had mild jaundice) then went shopping. I think we went out to dinner too but that might've been the next day. It was a priority for us and helped us transition into parenthood. We also live in a city so it was easy for us to go out right away.
  • @2goofykids about 5 days pp for doctors appointments and a tiny bit of grocery shopping. But I was super exhausted after the trek out.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Don't you guys worry about germs with the little ones out and about so early? Especially with a March baby. I guess with other kiddos in the house it's impossible to really avoid all exposure, but I'm going to try! I'm a bit of a germ-o-phobe though, and also a bit of a home body naturally, so it's kind of my default to not be out and about a ton.

Of course, with a very active and busy kindergartener and a toddler around, I'm sure I won't be able to hunker down as much as I'd like.
  • kitteh81 said:

Don't you guys worry about germs with the little ones out and about so early? Especially with a March baby. I guess with other kiddos in the house it's impossible to really avoid all exposure, but I'm going to try! I'm a bit of a germ-o-phobe though, and also a bit of a home body naturally, so it's kind of my default to not be out and about a ton.

Of course, with a very active and busy kindergartener and a toddler around, I'm sure I won't be able to hunker down as much as I'd like.

Honestly, no not really. I figured I'd be super cautious with everything since I'm a FTM but I've also been in child care forever and spend tons of time with my nephew. I'm miles past sanitizing the pacifier when it falls on the floor haha. I'm the oldest child and my mom said I was always sick when I started school because she shielded me from as much as she could. In some ways I feel like it might be better to help build up the immune system early. If my doctor says I can take her out then I will!
  • BTDT moms - when does the freak out come? FTM and I have not started to panic or freak out or anything of that nature, which in a sense is nice but it scares part of me, too if that makes sense. I mean, I know I am having a baby. The big ass belly is a major clue. But for some reason it still just doesn't seem real. I don't know if it has to do with the trouble maintaining a pregnancy in the past or what but dday is 3 months from today and I am still just chill AF. Normal or nah?

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• @2goofykids we did not go out much the first few months- mainly because DD was born in December and we had a very cold/snowy winter that year. Our first trip out of the house was 7 or 8 days after she was born- and we just made a target run because we needed more newborn diapers! We did go to a friends house for New Years Eve (about 2 weeks after she was born) but only stayed for about an hour. I really didn't take her to many public places until she had her first round of shots.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @flowerpower5838 I don't think I ever really freaked out. But I don't freak out. It's more surreal than anything to add a member to your family. @kitteh81 with breastfeeding not really. I have a preschooler so we live with germs. All you can really do is wash hands.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• BTDT moms - when does the freak out come? FTM and I have not started to panic or freak out or anything of that nature, which in a sense is nice but it scares part of me, too if that makes sense. I mean, I know I am having a baby. The big ass belly is a major clue. But for some reason it still just doesn't seem real. I don't know if it has to do with the trouble maintaining a pregnancy in the past or what but dday is 3 months from today and I am still just chill AF. Normal or nah?

I'm already freaking out! About EVERYTHING. My mom is taking me shopping tonight to try to ease some of my panic.  I feel like I have NOTHING ready for this baby and I only have 9ish weeks to go.  I'm also freaking out because while yes he is my second, its an 11 year gap between my two and I'm worried I won't be able to handle another baby/toddler/big kid.
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

I honestly never really hit the freak out point until the week I went into labor.  Then I started having insane anxiety over idiotic things.  I called my mom and cried on the phone because I didn't have enough baby socks.  Then I freaked out over the closet not being organized the way I wanted it.  It didn't really hit me though until I started have actual contraction pain when things became very real (I hadn't even packed a diaper bag - DH was grabbing things for me).

@2goofykids I had a small frame and a huge baby.  My body was not prepared for shoving that size of a child out, so I had a long recovery.  3 days after having him I walked out from the hospital (they kept him longer for observation) and I passed a few golf ball sized clots just from that short walk (yes, this can happen; they usually don't worry til they're the size of grape fruits... gag!).  Soooo I was pretty much sofa bound except for bathroom breaks and bed times for the first few weeks.  I was really swollen and in lots of pain in nether regions (picture sitting on two bananas, plus a sizeable tear).  My pelvis was really unstable and clacked in a painful way when I walked (that took a month or two to get over).  I had to sleep in our lower bed to get in and out of.  I couldn't imagine going out to the store or trying for long walks.  We did make it to the doctor visits (with some help).   But like PPs, everybody is very different and every baby is very different.  I had a long recovery because I spent a lot of time (over two hours) pushing.  I'm hoping for a better recovery time with this guy :)
  • I was a little worried about germs, but not too much. Groceries still need to be bought and toddlers often need to go places. I always baby wear when they are tiny so they are at least kind of covered and no one can easily touch them.

I don't remember ever really freaking out before my first either. Maybe a little panicky when I went into labor, but that's it. Probably just varies by person and pregnancy!