February 2016 Moms

(Almost) Christmas Babies

candace4erichcandace4erich member
edited December 2015 in February 2016 Moms
Well, we didn't make it to 2016, let alone February. I'm not sure how to link to this post on the chatter free thread, so if someone wants to do it for me, I'd appreciate it. Here's the story:

Many of you know I've been on bed rest since November 12th (two weeks in hospital and then home). I was having weekly checks and my cervix was holding steady at about a centimeter. All other health (both mine and babies) was great. My last check was Thursday December 17th and it was the same old story.

Tuesday December 22nd, my husband woke me up when he got up to pee at 11:50pm. I figured I'd pee as long as I was awake, so I got up and WHOOSH. Water breaks in classic movie manner. I call my mom to come get me and talk my husband through repacking the hospital bag.

We get to the hospital a little past midnight and find that I'm 4 centimeters dilated and contacting about 2 minutes apart. There was brief talk of trying to stop the labor, but an hour later I was dilated 6 centimeters and it was obvious the girls wanted out. A quick ultrasound confirmed that Twin A was still breech, so a c-section was immediately prepped.

At 3:05am, Gwendolyn Marie was born at 3lb 1oz and 16 inches long. Sister Penelope Rose was born at 3:06am at 3lb 9oz and 16 inches long. They were 32 weeks and 3 days.

Now they are both in the NICU. Gwendolyn is doing very well. She's breathing without any assistance and working her way up to full feeds. She is even practicing nursing and has gotten a few swallows. Penelope is having a rougher time. She started on CPAP but had since been put on a vent. She had air leaking from her lungs, but that has since stopped. Hopefully her lungs will heal and develop spoon so she can catch up with her sister.

Re: (Almost) Christmas Babies