June 2015 Moms

Baby symptoms?

Re: Baby symptoms?

• LO cut two teeth last week and after a few days of relief she's back to biting and chewing everything, drooling TONS and this sad little whimper when she's trying to fall asleep. :neutral:
  • What's everyone's favorite diaper rash ointment? After eating so much yesterday, she was pooping solid gross poop every freakin 30 minutes today. It's painful just looking at her poor little butt. I've slathered maximum strength desitin on all day, but it's not helping. Any suggestions?
  • Loading the player...
  • Sjeff0816 said:

What's everyone's favorite diaper rash ointment? After eating so much yesterday, she was pooping solid gross poop every freakin 30 minutes today. It's painful just looking at her poor little butt. I've slathered maximum strength desitin on all day, but it's not helping. Any suggestions?

My sister swears by Triple Paste.

I like Paladin cream.

• I always hear the Grovia Magic Stick is the way to go
  • I use A and D ointment and then boudreaux's butt paste.
  • I put baby aquafor on LO every night. Sometimes he looks a bit red, but we've never had a diaper rash.
  • I like A&D or Boudreaux. He's only had actual diaper rash once when he got diarrhea from antibiotics. He goes several days without pooping sometimes and now that poops are more solid, he's usually a little red after going.

Speaking of the solid poop, it seems to be pretty hard and dry. He drinks plenty of formula and gets diluted prune juice daily, so I don't think he's dehydrated (plenty of wet diapers) but DH is concerned he is under hydrated. He'll be 6 months on the 22nd and we go to the doctor the next day so I'm going to ask about it, but does anyone else have this going on?
  • I found with my DD Triple Paste + Vaseline worked wonders.  She always got diaper rash when she was getting teeth and triple paste on first with vaseline on top worked for us!  For everyday, I use A&D.
  • Triple paste!
  • Boudreaux's doesn't work for my guy. Which is weird because so many people have recommended it. He's responded better to Desitin and the CVS knock off. (I know the question was what besides Desitin, just sayin'.)

He's had a small rash two or three times. He's changed often and I know we practice good hygiene, so I guess it's just one of those things. Putting that out there because sometimes I get the sense people feel diaper rash is a guilty thing.
  • LO's never had a diaper rash until now. It's just because she gets 2 solid meals a day now and I'm mixing purees. It's changed her poop a lot and she goes more often. I ended up skipping solids for a day and it cleared up. I'll try triple paste next time!
  • So I gotta renig on the A and D and butt paste. I was using aquaphor and switched to that combo last week and he got a diaper rash. I attributed it to trying a huggies overnight diaper but couldn't get rid of the redness until I switched back to just aquaphor! So aquaphor it is for this LO. Good thing too bc it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the natural butt paste tube!
  • Honest diaper cream
  • Lo seems to still have a cold, for about a month now :( it was better but now she's congested a little again and today is heR check up. I wonder if they skip the shots since she is sick like they do with the older kids
  • Lo seems to still have a cold, for about a month now :( it was better but now she's congested a little again and today is heR check up. I wonder if they skip the shots since she is sick like they do with the older kids

I'm taking one of my twins back today because they didn't give her shots last week. She had a low fever last week.

Neither twin got shots at 4 months (they pushed them back to 6 months) because one was sick.
  • Oh ok! Thanks! I wanted to maybe split the shots and do 2 and 2 next week so we'll see.
  • Ok. Gonna get a little graphic here. DD started solids about a month ago. The only reaction she has had is in her stool. It's obviously thicker, but sometimes it is her normal breastmilk poop with sections of thicker poop in it. The thicker stuff almost looks like pieces of spinach in that it is dark and wilted looking. Dr Google leads me to think it is her iron supplements (the color) with bits of under digested food. I'm not overly worried since she is fine otherwise. No rash, fever, change in behavior, etc. We took a picture, and will be showing the pedi at her 6 month checkup, but was wondering if anyone has any insight.
  • ^^Did you feed banana?

This is exactly what LOs poop looks like when he is eating (he's not consistently eating solids every days, he's on the late side of this group development wise, if we can even say that about a 7 month old :smile: ). DS also had that poop for a while until he started actually digesting more and it got pasty. He was always very healthy. Sounds normal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @henrytviii Thanks so much for the response. It seems to happen when she eats sweet potato. Shes very healthy otherwise, and just the typical grunts when she's trying to go, so maybe it's the extra fiber ;) Also, I don't think J is behind at all. As @mellymar would say, babies be babies, man.
  • @cait7425 we've also had some poop changes with solids. Often its what I consider 'normal', regular poop brown and kinda clay like. But every now and then he has wetter poops that are much darker in color. I think that's related to when we give squash. I know I'm going to be on the lookout next time we try squash.

I'm curious why @henrytviii asked about banana? Because that's the other possible food that we had before that poop.
  • I did read that banana can cause black thread looking poop that people may mistake as worms, lovely
  • Banana gives my LO hard, dark, formed poop that literally sticks to her butt. That's what gives her the diaper rashes. It constipates. I really try to space out the banana now.
  • Good to know. We haven't tried banana yet. I'll keep an eye out when we do
  • Banana is the black worm poop. I think only when you do it whole. It's hilarious that you say sweet potato because I was about to ask if it was squash as well. Squash was one of the only things he ate much of and it let to this spinach poop you speak of.

I'm having a lost my soul, motherhood regret moment today (no worries its a mild temporary funk). Discussion re:LO poop is totally what I need :neutral:
  • Carrot poop is ew.
  • banana worm poop over here, and another lost soul.
    sent LO to MIL's and scheduled a girlfriends lunch. Hope that helps...
  • I haven't given LO bananas yet due to his history of constipation, but ewww, definitely not regretting it now.

@henrytviii and @virginiaunicorn11 hope ya'll get the support you need!
  • We had our 6 mo check up today. Not a symptom but she hasn't gained any weight since last apt. I feel terrible but we've had no signs whatsoever. Until a few days ago, she's been incredibly happy and sleeping through the night. Wants us to up her bottles to 6-8 oz. I can't pump enough to keep up with that so my days of bfeeding is coming to an end. Hoping she picks up some lbs soon.
  • @slr1229 Are you going to BF and do formula?
  • I am going to try as long as my body lets me, but I'm slowly losing supply. I wonder if she gets enough from me in the morning and at night during the week and all feeding times on the weekends, so don't really know the answer just yet :/
  • klirwin82klirwin82 member
    edited December 2015
    slr1229 said:

We had our 6 mo check up today. Not a symptom but she hasn't gained any weight since last apt. I feel terrible but we've had no signs whatsoever. Until a few days ago, she's been incredibly happy and sleeping through the night. Wants us to up her bottles to 6-8 oz. I can't pump enough to keep up with that so my days of bfeeding is coming to an end. Hoping she picks up some lbs soon.

@slr1229 We also had 6 month appt today (a week before 6 mos) and LO only gained 1lb. since his appt on 11/20. He's always been less than 3rd percentile, born 38 wks at 5lbs 4 oz and weighed in today at 13 lbs 2 oz. He's been in a fine mood, very active and smiley, started just waking 1x nightly, EBF still. Takes 4-5oz bottles every 2 hours while I'm at work. I've had the usual supply dips but getting up MOTN to pump and taking a bunch of fenugreek/more milk plus/blessed thistle/Brewers yeast helps me meet demand for when I'm gone. It's not like he nurses and screams for more when he's done, so I think my supply is ok.

I'm really depressed now, he seems to eat to satiety, how do I feed him more? We have to go back in 4 weeks to check his weight again and if he hasn't gained enough (they didn't specify what "enough" was) then they want to run tests.

He gained 2 lbs/month until this past month.
  • @klirwin82 1lb for the month is good at this age. BF baby growth slows as they get older. Is it just because he is smaller? Is the WHO growth pattern being followed ?

https://kellymom.com/health/growth/growthcharts/

https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/
  • @klirwin82 @slr1229 sorry you ladies are having weight gain problemsproblems. I've been here each and every time LO has an appt, he is not gaining weight appropriately to stay on his curve. He is also a smaller guy, so he doesn't have much to lose. And the thing is that I always feel fairly confident about his weight, until I get in there and he is on the scale and its a bust. So now I have massive anxiety about his 6m appt, which is tomorrow, actually.

So... I'm not going to offer pointers because I could be full of $h!t if my kid hasn't gained appropriately. But, I do understand your dismay.
  • Just a note that I'm thinking of you for your appointment tomorrow, @mellymar and your LOs @klirwin82 and @slr1229
    You are great mamas for making sure your babies get the medical attention and nutrition they need. I hope your babies can find a way to show they're on their own track and doing just fine, to allay your fears. Big hugs, mamas

@KarasTwin thanks for the encouragement. I went out with two old high school friends who were in town or the holidays... So refreshing!
  • janit368 said:

@klirwin82 1lb for the month is good at this age. BF baby growth slows as they get older. Is it just because he is smaller? Is the WHO growth pattern being followed ?

https://kellymom.com/health/growth/growthcharts/

https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/

Thank you for these charts! They made me feel better. My LO also gained just under 1 lb at her 6 month check up. The doctor wasn't concerned. She's always been small. I was a little worried she wasn't getting enough milk though.
  • dancegurl1118dancegurl1118 member
    edited December 2015
    My LO gained like 8 oz between appointments (almost 2 months I think). They weren't concerned. It's hard when you're used to seeing drastic growth early on as babies do and then when it levels out its panic inducing.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • aj1327aj1327 member
    edited December 2015
    ^^ Mine gained a pound in 2 months. The doctor didn't seem concerned. But he's a big baby too, so maybe that's why.
  • klirwin82klirwin82 member
    edited December 2015
    The kellymom site is helpful, thanks for those charts. I'm going to continue doing what I'm doing since he's still gaining, just not as fast. Plenty of dirty diapers, good mood, etc. Maybe it was the surgery + cold he had since the last appt that slowed him down a bit.

I'm tired of going to a dr practice that has Breast is Best posters everywhere but then compares his daily oz intake to a formula fed baby and opines that it seems low.

Ugh.
  • I searched and didn't find a similar question.
    My LO just turned 7 months and lately he's been clenching his fists and holds his arms straight out and grunts. It sort of looks like he's riding a motorcycle. He's not constipated and he doesn't seem to be in pain. Sometimes he's smiling while he does it. He does is all day long.
    Anyone else's LO does something similar?
  • @moz3518 no, sorry. It sounds weird tho, the way you describe it. If I were in your place, I'd try to get a video and show the pediatrician, just in case. That's only cause I'm a nervous mommy, tho, hahaha. Unless someone else chimes in and knows what that's all about.