May 2016 Moms

Name Thieves

We have IRL friends that had a baby this past week. After oooh- ing and aaahhh- ing over the handsome little fella I allowed myself to sulk because our friends named their son James, just like we planned to do if our LO is a boy. Of course our friends aren't real name thieves because they didn't know we were considering that name and James was chosen by both families because it's a family name. I'm just sulking a bit because now I feel like that name is off the table. 

As many of you know I work in a school and so does my H...  Kids at school ruin names. Kye/ Kai (or any other spelling variation) was never on our possible name list, but we both joke about the name because both of our schools have unpleasant students with that name. 

Anyway... all this rambling is to ask you all... for your opinion. How many degrees of separation is needed for naming your kid? Can we still use the name James even though our family friends named their son that? Would it be weird to use the name of a student? 
Me: 31 | DH: 33
DD: 05/14/16
Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19

Re: Name Thieves

• They're not actually family, right? Just family friends? I'd say go ahead and call your child James. It's a classic name and you were already planning to use it. If it was a more unique name it might look like you were the 'name thieves', but you're probably safe with James (and I'm not sure I would personally be bothered if it were a more unique name).

The only names I would personally stay away from are those of my nephews and nieces. I think it all depends on personal preference and sometimes it can be cultural as well. For instance, I've heard some cultures consider it weird or morbid to name your child after a relative if that relative is still alive. In The Netherlands we don't have that association at all, and my grandmother, mother and I all share the same official first name (we're all 'Lucia' officially, grandma and I are Lucy and my mum is Luciënne). If our LO is a girl, her MN will be Lucia, if he's a boy, he'll get my dad's first name as his MN.

In the end, it's your decision to make. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I think when you are talking about a name like James which is fairly common, it is understandable to think that two families would pick that name. If it was something more unique (like Renzo!) I would expect some side-eye. If one of my family friends named their kid Renzo, they would totally be a name thief! But for a name like James, I think you are in the clear.

As for student names, I am hesitant personally because the association can be so strong, either good or bad. There are few names that are definitely off the list because when I hear that name, all I see is a certain frequent-flier, or I associate it with some complex medical condition. Even if I was choosing the name of a student who is the bright spot in my day (don't deny it, we all have them!) I still would feel weird because I want this LO to have as little previous association as possible. But, again, I think it depends on how common or unique the name is. If the only time I ever heard the name was on a class list, I think it might be weird, but if it is a more common name, it wouldn't necessarily make me think of a student.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with many PP, I think James is a classic name that people should expect to encounter other kids of the same name. If the friends were your best friends, or your siblings-- cases in which having a double name would cause confusion-- then I might stay away from it. If you see them sometimes, but not all the time, I don't think it's a problem for you to still use James. I work in a school as well, and it can be hard to shed the name associations sometimes, but at a certain point, I feel like you can't judge a name based on one or two students.
  • I wouldn't use a name that was already in use within close family of the same generation (i.e., nieces and nephews are off the table, but aunts and uncles are okay, since in that case you're really naming the new child after the older relative [or at least after the same inspiration] and so it's a tribute, not a theft). Cousins are a gray area -- there I think it depends how close you are to those cousins and how often you see them. I have cousins who live on the other side of the country and we only see maybe once every 10 years, and cousins who live 30 minutes away and we see regularly. I wouldn't feel bad about overlapping with the first group but I would try to avoid copying the latter.

And yeah, I would personally avoid names chosen by close friends and names that I had some strong pre-existing association with. For example, "Bella" is a SUPER popular name for dogs in our neighborhood, so I couldn't have a kid named "Bella" just because I'd instinctively expect that to be answered by five wagging tails at the dog park. It's a perfectly nice name, but I'm never going to be able to shake that association, so that's off the table for me.
  • I'm not sure if I told this story here in the past, but I do have some personal experience with this kind of thing.

My SIL and my cousin were pregnant with boys at the same time - SIL with twins, cousin with a single. My cousin had picked out her boy name before she even conceived but kept it a secret, SIL and my brother planned to make the decision at the hospital. Come June the twins are born, Mitchell & Emmet. The following September my cousin gives birth to.... Emmett! (Yup, two different spellings). When she announced his name to the family she said "well this might sound familiar...." but otherwise gave no warning to my brother and SIL. They never said anything to her but they were definitely a little upset at first, mainly that she never mentioned it to them to give them the heads up. My mother can still get worked up about it but the rest of the family has gotten used to it by now (the Emmet(t)s are now 1) and it isn't a thing at all. Talking to my cousin about it she told me she cried when my brother announced the twins' names, but her mind was made up. The lesson I learned from the whole thing is that keeping the name you've chosen a complete secret can backfire - if a close friend or family member is expecting at the same time as me, I'll talk to them about names to avoid this. My brother and SIL only chose Emmet in the hospital and wouldn't have considered it had my cousin told them before the kids were born. It isn't a family name or anything, just a coincidence. That said, I have come to respect my cousin for "name stealing" and making the choice that mattered the most to her and her H, rather than worrying about what others might think. So it may get a little confusing at the holidays, so what!

• I think you're totally okay to go with James, but I would give your friends a heads up first and just say you had been considering it for a long time and that it's a family name. If they mind, they'll get over it. I don't like people that are over sensitive and have no patience for it though, so that's just me. I also have a fairly common name and grew up with a ton of Sarah's. It never bothered me.

I empathize so much with the teachers in here! DH and I are both teachers and naming DD was sooooo hard. We decided on Scarlett, which neither one of us had ever taught. So many names went out the window because of name associations. Now we have to name a new baby and I'm scared to even start thinking about it. We will wait until we find out the sex and then begin hashing it out.
  • It wouldn't be hard for me to avoid these, but I coach a cross-country team for 3-5th graders, and I really like some of their names! I'm going to have the same group for track in the spring when I'm due (DH is coaching with me, in case chasing after kids at 8 months pregnant turns out to be hard haha), and so they'll all know if I steal one of their names! But like @m6agua said, the kid will get the name I like, even if it does seem strange to the kids/parents I'm coaching!

Wondering if I can tell them that whoever goes the fastest gets the baby named after them, and then rig it somehow 
    B-)
  • I would say you are safe to use James. Just let your friends know it was already a name you were considering. I have four friends in the same circle that all named their baby girls "Emma." They just all wanted that name and didn't care. I had a friend name her third girl a name I had picked out for my future little girl (first AND middle name!). I was not pregnant at the time, but I was so excited! I shared with her how I had picked out the same name. 
    JCrew Blog

Big brother was born August 24, 2011.
    Little brother was born October 1, 2012.
    Brother #3 due 5/4/16; born 5/2/16.

• Use it.  James has always been on my boys list.  It's my favorite boy name.  My sister named her boy James, and I would have named my first boy James, but my dh doesn't care for the name.  Super bummed about that.  
  • A very close coworker/friend named her daughter my favorite girls name, which DH and I have both loved since we got married! I have every intention of using it if we have a girl!
  • m6agua said:

My thought is name your kid whatever you want to name your kid. Even if someone you know has the name.

This.

• I want my child's name to be unique. I love having a name so few other people do. I think I will avoid naming my child anything close to those I associate with frequently. I know my child will be special but until they can grow up and prove it their name is all they got. Well that and a fabulous parent. B-) .
    I also work with children but in mental health, so there is a long list of names off the table. No Chris of any sort. Male, female, any spelling. Cameron same thing. James is also a frequent flyer so that's gone. Which is a shame because my family is in the habit of naming boys J names and there just isn't that many that I like. But you should definitely do what makes you happy. You're going to be calling that name for years to come.
  • It is interesting because in every school/setting I have worked, a kid named Ryan has been the sweetest, kindest, funniest, and most memorable patient/student. However, for that exact reason, I could never name my kid Ryan. The association, while very positive, is just too strong. But, I strongly offer that suggestion to any of you because, in my experience, all kids named Ryan are awesome.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's your child, you name him or her whatever you want. I would let your cousin know, just as a heads up. If she has issues with it, tough luck.
  • I prefer not to duplicate names of cousins or children of close friends of ours, but so far this has only worked out for me - our friends and siblings have almost uniformly picked names that I really really like, but not quite enough to use them myself. It's very considerate of them! So I can't say what I'd do if they picked a name I had been planning on, exactly. Especially with a very 'ordinary' name like James, I'd probably still use it, but a more unusual name I might reconsider, I guess.

As far as names of students, I think avoiding names with bad associations is unavoidable, no matter where it comes from. My husband and I have nixed plenty of names for these reasons, and we're not teachers. If it's a name you really like and it doesn't immediately make you cringe because of some student in the past, I would go for it regardless of whether you happened to have taught a student with that name at some point.
  • I would still name my son James, but give the friends a heads up.

My SIL and I both have Carmen as our top name for a girl. She doesn't have kids yet, and we don't know if LO is a girl, but there is a good chance we will both have Carmens some day.

Also, nicknames are huge in our families, so I'm confident that will cut the confusion of cousins having the same name
  • Name your baby boy James! It's such a common name anyway, there should be no reason why you shouldn't. 

I'm always super open with my names for this reason. DH & I have had them picked out since we were engaged, so we've always talked about it with family & friends. If anyone copies us, I'd take it as a compliment haha 

I'm kind of sad for my sister, though. She has wanted to name a baby girl after my grandma, Alice, ever since we were little kids. Now our cousin just had a baby girl and named her Alice. She's struggling with using it or not, I told her to do it! Since I didn't name either of my girls Alice because she called it so long ago ;) 
  • @Charla1224 I know this thread is super old, but I recently have had the same experience. DH's cousin had a little girl last week and she has the name we had decided on for a girl. I guess that's what happens when you want names to be a surprise.
    DH says we can just use the name anyways and he will tell his family it is a family name from my side so no one will be able to complain about it. We only see that part of his family at Christmas and major family events so it shouldn't be a big deal. It still makes me a little sad though... Maybe we will have a boy and not have to worry about it.
  • Ugh. That stinks @EErin86. I agree with your H but I also totally understand how the name feels a little less special now too. In the long run it'll all work out.
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • You asked if you can use the name James. Of course you can. There's no law against using a name that someone else used. Who cares? If we have a boy it will likely be named Michael, and we have multiple Michaels in my family already. Not gonna stop me. I wouldn't use the same name as one of our nieces and nephews, but other than that, anything is game.