January 2016 Moms

Real labor that stops?

I was having some come and go lower back pains accompanied by come and go cramping.. very mild.. for hours. Seemed pretty steady every 20-30 min or so.. downed water like crazy, switching positions, laying on my left side didnt help at all.. started around 4am, and stopped around noon.. wondering if it was real labor that stopped itself or what.

Re: Real labor that stops?

• It's called prodomal labour. It's really convincing, but then doesn't continue. It's a hard thing to go through, hopefully you won't experience it much more! 
  • If it stopped, it couldn't have been actual labor. In some cases, if your baby turns out of an ideal position, your body can experience some pretty serious contractions to turn baby back into position.
  • Loading the player...
  • Absolutely, labor can stop. More conventional wisdom agrees it can stall and resume due to stress or interruptions in your environment.
  • I'm dealing with this right now...2 to 4 mins a part but not getting any stronger. I'm assuming it is false labor and just trying to rest. Annoying!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Sex. Sex causes this! Haha! Every time hubby and I have sex I end up in contractions every 2-3 minutes. They are becoming increasingly consistent and stronger every single time, but being STM I know that if I can go to sleep while having them, breathe while having them, or mainly function while having them.. They will stop and I will be okay. So, if you had sex before this started, that could be your culprit. If not, Braxton Hicks are just a bunch of bastards! It's like your body is saying it's ready and then pulls this cruel trick on you and just stupid. My doctor actually used a good point when asked why we have them. He said it's like lifting weights all day and how your body just becomes so tired your muscles go crazy. He said that the weight of the baby all day long makes your uterus go crazy. I mean, I knew what my body was doing, but when he said it like that it was like a stinking light bulb turned on. Lol. Good luck! I hope for your sake they stop or become the real deal!
  • Labor can definitely stall out but contractions every 20-30 min is really far apart for real contractions, so I'd say Braxton hicks in your case. i suppose it would be possible for them to start that far apart and get closer but if they don't get closer it isn't labor.
  • I had contractions 5-7 min apart for 7 hrs last week then they stopped. Very minor ones since but nothing substantial. This false labor thing is just mean. Due date is Friday.....hopefully baby decides to come befor then. This FTM is ready!!