July 2015 Moms
Options

Puree & no poops

We started pea puree this week. She had been on cereal for a while and we thought it was time. The problem is that she isn't pooping. She usually poops once a day. Since the puree she has only pooped once, but when she did it was gross. It's usually runny from teething but was like a creamier Peanut Butter.

So, could it be getting stuck on her from her body not being used to it being so thick or am I not feeding her enough? She is breastfeed the rest of the time. She also doesn't seem to be asking for more food.

Re: Puree & no poops

• Options
    Solids can take longer to digest, and it's totally normal for poos to become more solid and gross once starting solids. If baby seems happy, everything should be fine, but it never hurts to call the doc if you're worried. 
    Read about my motherhood journey and more at http://hallidaynelson.com/
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

TTGP July Siggy Challenge: Summer Fails
  • Options
    I know it changes with more solid food. I can't wait until she gets poop balls. :) It was just so different than her normal poop.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    same. my ds only goes every 2-3.5 days now he's on solids.
  • Options
    @jenni31 is your baby bf or formula? We've been going puree for a week now and she has only give once. If she keeps it up I'm definitely calling the doctor.
  • Options
    My doc said going every 2-4 days is pretty normal. Anything past 5 days, she said to call. My LO is formula fed now, and eats around 5 oz of puree total a day. Some food can constipate baby especially rice cereal, apples and bananas, so that's something to consider. But with anything, all babies are different so if you're worried, a call to the doc may help ease your mind.
  • Options
    We started food about a month ago and whenever he seems constipated I give him prunes. They do the trick in a day!
  • Options
    We've been doing pureed veggies now for about a week, LO has always been an every day pooper but now today will be day 3 without one. He's starting to act uncomfortable as if he needs to go but can't :/ I know they say it's normal but I think I might try to help him out by taking a rectal temp. His belly isn't distended or anything, I just don't like seeing him uncomfortable!
  • Options
    She is grunting a lot and having gross farts. I'm calling the doctor Monday to see what she says. Your not really supposed to give babies juice until 6m, but I may to get her to poop.
  • Options
    @akolo my DS is EBF with solids once a day
  • Options
    We were feeding 1/2 jar of purées once daily and LO went from pooping multiple times a day to nothing. Pooped Saturday then nothing, we started getting concerned Monday night so I gave him 2oz bottled water in his bottle that day after a nursing session. Still nothing. He finally pooped late Tuesday. Then a tiny bit of poop Wednesday and again nothing until today.

I'm becoming not a fan of solids. We are cutting back to 1/2 jar every other day until I can talk to the dr this week. I don't like him being so uncomfortable.
  • Options
    Update...rectal temp worked magic!! About 40 min later we had a full diaper and no more disgruntled baby. I read somewhere that carrots can cause some babies to be constipated so if that's a first food for some odd your LOs maybe that could be?? Ironically our LO had been on his 3 day trial of carrots when he was constipated, really don't know if that was the cause but it'll be interesting to see if it happens again when we give him carrots again.
  • Options
    That's great to know! My LO didn't poop for a day and a half after the carrots. I thought I made the cereal too thick, but it might have been the carrots. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Prunes help with constipation. So every couple days my LO gets prunes with his cereal in the morning. Also pears they are high in fiber. Sometimes with have to use a qtip in the rectum with some vaseline on it to help our LO push it out when he gets really constipated.
  • Options
    Also if there really constipated stay away from bananas bc they cause constipation.
  • Options
    We haven't even started fruits. I know I have a sweet tooth so we are holding off for her. We have only given her rice cereal and peas.