December 2015 Moms

4th degree tear

I had my daughter almost 3 weeks ago and had a 4th degree tear. I am in so much pain 24/7. I need more pain meds, but don't actually want to take any more (I don't want to become dependent and am ebfing- I don't want to continue exposing her to meds). Any advice from other who had 4th degree tears? How long will this pain last?

Re: 4th degree tear

• I was lucky enough with my first to only have 2nd degree tearing so I don't know I'll be much help but ice packs where my everything for several weeks. Hubby got some long narrow ones at the drug store that freeze soft and I just rotated between them.

As far as the meds, taking them right after a feeding should help to minimize what the baby gets. I understand not wanting to take the pain pills but it's something I think my mom was right on when she told me it's better to have the pain managed and be able to take care of the baby than to be suffering and not able to function.
  • I don't have any experience with a fourth degree tear but I will say that I found dermoplast to be helpful.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a 2nd degree tear and have to second the dermoplast suggestion. Also ice packs!!
  • How could I have forgotten dermoplast! I also used to lay cold tucks pads along the pad when I'd use the rest room, wash with the peri bottle and gently pat dry with tp, the spray on the dermoplast. You can stuff ice chips in a newborn diaper and use that as a pad. I also saw on Target's website they have what looks like a reusable feminine cold pack kinda thing. I'll see if I can find a link.
  • I have a 2nd Degree tear. So, I won't be much help. But I can tell you that Dermoplast, Motrin every 6 hours, and an Ice Pack have done WONDERS for me! I seriously think Dermoplast is my best BEST friend for the pain! Next to the ice pack.
  • I had 1st degree tear I was in so much pain I used ice packs they worked so good for me .
  • I had a 3rd degree tear and I live by my ibuprofen. I had oxycodone too but weaned off of that and just took a pill whenever the pain was really bad. Now I just use my homemade padsicles, tucks pads, and ibuprofen for pain management. Good luck girl, I feel your pain! Take it easy on yourself, build a mound of pillows under/on your side, and relax as much as possible. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • I had an epistomy due to forceps for delivery, I took the pain killer as a little as possible after my first day home (they gave me codeine). I was also sent home on 2 anti-inflamatories that I have taken like clockwork. I have found that warm/hot baths help I use Epsom salts. I used Tucks for the first couple days over my pad now I only use the Tucks at the incision site once or twice per day. I ordered a peri bottle prior to delivery, after seeing them on everyones' postpartum list on Pinterest (I'm really happy I ordered one since I wasn't given one at the hospital), I can't imagine using the restroom without the peri bottle at this point (I use it before and after and it really helps). The peri bottle is like a poor man's bidet. Once the swelling went down I've also used a barrier cream 1-3 times daily to protect the skin near the incision (I've just used a little coconut oil since I had it in my bathroom already, but vaseline or other nonmedicated oil would probably work too. I stopped using the Always pads because the plastic on them seem to be irritating I know have more cotton like panty liners and they are much more comfortable.

• The doctors and nurses told me to switch to using a heating pad and take hot baths to help heal yourself. After switching from cold to hot I am much better. The other ladies are right, dermaplast and tucks pads help so much. Also, I took 4 advil every 8 hours. Baby is almost a month old and I'm FINALLY starting to be able to pee without being in agony. It will get better. Congratulations!
  • I had an episiotomy, and the ibuprofen actually worked way better than I thought it would. I took it exactly every six hours, and at a higher dosage than OTC, as prescribed by my doc.

At three weeks, even with a 4th degree tear, being in excruciating pain sounds abnormal. Call your Dr and see what they say, it's possible that you've torn some stitches or have other complications. Being in so much pain will slow your recovery process, it's better to get it under control. I hope you find some relief soon.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Your doctors gave you the OK for baths? Mine said no baths for 6 weeks... It's an infection risk
  • Your doctors gave you the OK for baths? Mine said no baths for 6 weeks... It's an infection risk

Same here. Absolutely no baths for 6 weeks.
  • I've never given birth, but a friend of mine has five children and had 4th° tears with each one of them. It takes a very long time to heal. Obviously, everything they told you to follow in terms of instructions, but also it just takes time. I'm sorry that you're going through this!
  • My doctor said to take a bath every day to help the healing process! No using salts or bubbles but just a plain old bath. It feels amazing!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • First and foremost TAKE IT EASY. Don't do anything you don't absolutey have to. Sleep as often as possible.

Secondly, please ask for more pain meds. Keep in mind that they will wean you off of them when you're feeling better, if they have to. Very little crosses into the breastmilk and if you are weaned properly, LO will be too. And keep in mind that women who have C sections are often on these same meds for a very long period. And they (and their kiddlers) do just fine.

If you absolutely refuse to take them, ask for benzocaine sprays or creams (if you don't have any already), lots of prescription-grade ibuprofen and analgesics (like tylenol) and anything you can get your hands on that isn't addictive. You can also request lower-grade narcotics.