June 2016 Moms

Constantly out of breath and getting flabby?

Hallo all and Happy Holidays! <3

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I'm getting frustrated. I used to work out pretty consistently prior to pregnancy and while I've never been thin, I could make it up the stairs without panting. It's driving me crazy that I can't perform the simplest tasks without feeling like I've just run a marathon! Also I notice I'm getting flabby and it bothers me when it comes to thinking about my post-baby body. I didn't eat the healthiest during my first trimester but I'm trying to make up for it now by cleaning up my diet. I'm 15 weeks along, what are some tips for getting back into shape and is it possible to tone up while pregnant? Or is it inevitable to balloon up?

BabyFruit Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

>

Re: Constantly out of breath and getting flabby?

• You sound just like me! I filed this same complaint with my husband earlier this week lol I hope to get back into my workout routine & try to eat healthier in order to better control the weight gain. I can't afford to continue to eat junk food for 25 more weeks! Last December I was overweight (150lbs 5'2") and chose to change my eating habits & exercise. I was down to 123lbs this summer, 128 when I got pregnant. I can't let all my hard work go to waste!! Good luck to you! We can do it! Just say no to carbs lol
  • @susiec923 WOW congrats on your weight loss!! Seriously you're at my goal weight, you lucky duck :D

>

• Loading the player...
  • @UseTheTriforce94 I'm up another 6 lbs now. Must control my eating!!!! Lol we can do it!!!!!
  • I'm feeling the same way but I think the holidays are making it so much worse. I'm going to let myself enjoy the holidays and really go back to focus on healthy eating next week.
    I too was overweight last winter and started using My fitness pal in January it helped me loose 25 pounds and get in the best shape of my life. I think seeing all the hard work kinda going down the drain is depressing but we can get it together ladies and loose it again!!!
  • @HeartLikeMine3 I totally feel you! My fitness pal & fitbit really helped get me to a healthier, fitter lifestyle... which has been derailed by my little parasite lol
  • @susiec "My little parasite" LOL

@HeartLikeMine3 that's what kills me! Is seeing all those hours of sweating and aching and working just down the drain! And maybe I care too much, but I keep thinking that people just think I'm a fat cow who's never worked out a day in her life and I hate it.

HBamama2B You're so motivational <3

>

• @UseTheTriforce94 I totally understand and think it makes it so much harder to see the changes. This is my second pregnancy and I never even gave weight gain a thought my first pregnancy I was happy and carefree. After loosing quite a bit of weight and constantly hearing how great and skinny you look it really messes with your head. Just try to enjoy it and know that you didn't it once and you can do it again. I thought about ordering this shirt that says I'm pregnant not fat lol !!
  • @HBamama2B Thank you so much for that! I knew we were doing amazing things but I absolutely love hearing facts like that! We should have a thread specifically for the amazing things are bodies are doing right now lol.
  • @HBamama2B that is helpful to know. Unfortunately that doesn't help me. I've already gained 9lbs. That's all me and my junk food.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    EDD: 06/25/2006  M/C: 11/03/2005
    EDD: 04/08/2012  M/C: 09/03/2011
    EDD: 12/27/2012  Born Sleeping: 07/19/2012
    EDD: 12/07/2013  M/C 05/30/2013 & 05/31/2013
    EDD:  07/01/2016 Born sleeping: 03/02/2016

• I've decided the stairs are the pregnant woman's enemy. I still run about 4 days a week with no problem, yet I take the stairs at work every day and I'm out of breath every. damn. time. How does that even make sense?!
  • 26pointrunningfor2 because pregnancy that's why LOL also kudos on running 4 days a week!

>

• OP, I'm in the complete same boat and finding it hard to find people to sympathize with me so thanks for your post and all the responses! I worked hard at fitness (not a naturally athletic or thin person) before falling pregnant and so worried about losing all that work, especially after not being able to work out for the past three months because of debilitating MS (morning?! ha!). Trying to get back on the wagon and I REFUSE to believe you can't still tone or build muscle while pregnant, within reason.
    I typically like challenging workouts, so if anyone has recommendations for some challenging but safe prenatal workouts, please share! Otherwise, I'm modifying my pre-preg workouts, trying to eat like I would before while slightly increasing calories, and listening to my body.
    All that being said: yes, stairs are the devil when knocked up.
  • I've been doing prenatal yoga and cardio since about 11 weeks (all I did from week 6-11 was sleep). Today I'm going to start some prenatal Pilate's. I just do the free prenatal videos on YouTube (I'm cheap). I think you can definitely tone up while pregnant. Working out before 20 weeks is supposed to also help strengthen the placenta. Stairs do suck though. Honestly they make me out of breath even when i'm not pregnant, lol
    Married July 2014
    DD born June 2016
    Second due August 2020 (team green!)
  • @susiec923 I will be turning to you for advice when I want to shed these pounds. That is an amazing weight loss! Did you use a specific program or just stop putting junk in your mouth (I hear that is how it is done! lol) 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I came to this post just in time today @UseTheTriforce94 - thanks for posting it!  I was a regular work out person (anywhere from 5 days a week to everyday) but had to really work at it to maintain a normal BMI (not super skinny or anything...US size 6-8).  I took a break from working out around week 10-15 because of a ton of things added together...MS, international and domestic travel, our 120 lb dog's knee surgery, etc.  I got back into working out this week and it has been rough going.  Ironically, I did better in spin class this week than I did with a walk with H this morning for a few miles...I was completely out of breath...felt like baby had already taken up residence in my lungs at week 16 now. LOL

I'm not stressed or obsessed about weight AT ALL.  I weigh myself at home once every two weeks to keep a general track of where I am but my goal is to eat relatively healthy and just keep on working out for strength and cardio/heart health.  You will gain weight.  You sort of have to to produce a baby.  ;) 

I was going to maybe try a weekly workout thread as motivation on Mondays for those that want workout buddies?  Any interest in that?  I've seen them here and there but nothing consistent on this board.  
  • @susiec923 I will be turning to you for advice when I want to shed these pounds. That is an amazing weight loss! Did you use a specific program or just stop putting junk in your mouth (I hear that is how it is done! lol) 

Send a message my way in June :smiley: I didn't jump on any trend diet/workout. I logged my food & workouts with my fitness pal until I got my fit bit that tracks heart rate & workouts automatically. I set the app to weight loss goal & tracked my eating. I cut out junk/carbs for the most part, but did allow myself to indulge every once in a while. I started working out regularly and viola!
  • mkemommy I would be down to be a workout buddy! Like a weekly check-in post or something like that? It's just driving me insane and I don't want to be one of those women who gains 200 lbs with the first baby lol And just to clarify, when do on-your-back exercises become a no-no?

>

• @usethetriforce94 - Yup, like a weekly check-in post.  I think I'll post one tomorrow and make it a Monday habit...I say this as I'm eating Jelly Bellys though.  :)  I believe on-your-back exercises should stop around week 16 (or earlier if you start to get dizzy on your back).