February 2016 Moms
Options

Pain from coughing

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and have been battling a nasty cold/chest congestion for a week. My nurse practitioner gave me a list of meds to try and I've had some relief but I'm still congested in the chest. For the past two days I've had almost unbearable pain on my lower right side. It hurts to cough and is very tender to the touch. I've been alternating heat and cold packs but haven't had much relief. My mom is an L&D nurse and thinks I've strained a muscle. Does anyone have any tips to get some relief? I'm currently waiting to hear back from my doctor, she's out of town. My next doctor's appt is Jan 5, and I really don't want to go sit and wait at our er.

Re: Pain from coughing

• Options
    Find some belly support. Like a maternity belt or something.
  • Options
    I had a terrible sinus infection the last two weeks of my pregnancy with DD and the coughing was incredibly painful so I definitely understand. Maybe azithromycin? I had two rounds of it and finally started feeling better. Also frequent hot showers to break up the congestion.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm dealing with something similar. I've been coughing so much and so hard that sometimes I get cramping in my lower belly and on Christmas Eve it felt like I strained a muscle on the right side of my bump. The pain was gone by the morning though.
    For the cough I've been drinking lots of hot and warm fluids (I like warm water with lemon), sometimes honey, taking baths, and using a humidifier.
    For the belly pain - rest and rubbing magnesium oil on my stomach muscles.
    I hope you feel better soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sick and my mid back and abdominal muscles hurt so bad from coughing. Has anyone found anything safe to take in pregnancy to relieve this horrible coughing? I don't want to bug my ob office on a Sunday but I can't sleep and I'm miserable. To top it off I can't get my temp under 100. Ugg being sick and really preggo is so shitty! I'll call tomorrow for sure but would love to get some rest tonight if anyone has any tips.
  • Options
    Sounds like you pulled something, maybe strained a round ligament. The ER certainly won't be able to do anything for you (other than give you a big bill and some other contagious illness!) if it's muscle/ligament related. Sounds like you're on the right track with a heating pad, and maybe try a warm bath, too (with Epsom salts, if your doc ok's it).