Infertility
Options

Any Success with Metformin? Spotting recently...

Hi Y'all!

Well, my TTC Adventure is kind of long...but I'll do my best to summarize! My husband and I started ttc in April 2015 (8 months ago). I had really irregular cycles and eventually my periods just stopped. The only thing is...I wasn't pregnant and I desperately wanted to be. So, I went to the doctor with my concerns...they diagnosed me with PCOS and I started taking Medroxyprogestrone to jump start my periods. My last cycle started on November 25th, 2015 (thanks to the medicine). So, on cycle day 18 I took an OPK and got a +! My first positive since June! I was so happy! So, my husband and I dtd on cd 18 and cd 19. The next few days (cd 20 and 21) I started bleeding. I thought it was my period. So, I set up an appointment with the doctor (as I was supposed to the next time I started my next cycle). The doctor told me it wasn't my period but that it might be "irregular shedding". So, on cd 23, I went and had blood work done on my LH levels and I got a +! So, it was confirmed by a blood test that I ovulated and they caught me on the end of my ovulation. I was happy with those results! I thought it was kind of weird that I was bleeding during ovulation, but I guess it can happen!

By the way, I have been on Metformin for a week and 3 days. I was unsure if maybe spotting was a side effect of taking the medicine but can't find anything about that online....
Now, yesterday and today I started spotting CD 25 and CD 26. It was a light brown color yesterday but today was a super dark brown EWCM type blob. I only saw this one time when using the restroom. (sorry! TMI!). I thought maybe this was implantation bleeding....but am unsure. This is why I'd like a second opinion! I realize that this all may just be a sign to AF showing up, which would be a bummer, but I'm happy that my body is doing what it needs to be doing! 

If y'all have any thoughts, opinions, stories, or any advice I'd greatly appreciate it! Baby dust to all! 

Thank you all so much in advance!

<3 

Re: Any Success with Metformin? Spotting recently...

• Options
    You should definitely talk to your doctor about the spotting if you are concerned. I also take Metformin and personally it never caused spotting but we are all different and so consulting your doctor is always the best thing to do.

You unfortunately cannot tell if it is implantation bleeding and no one here can tell for you, best thing to do is to take a test.
    35 years old, TTC #1 Dec 28, 2011
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism.
    First IVF cycle June 5th 2015 --- BFP
    Miscarriage at 8 weeks
    FET December 15th 2015--- BFP!
    First saw  at 6w4d
    It's a boy!

Luciano Alessandro Maximiliano was born on September 3rd 2016

• Options
    Metformin never made me
    Spot. I've been on it for about a month and haven't had any issues bedsides nausea after I take it.
    Married for 3 years
    Me: 28 DH: 33
    Together for a total of 6 years
    Fur mommy to two rescue dogs
    DX: PCOS and Insulin Resistance

History:
    Irregular Cycles
    2010: Laproscopy with Hystroscopy ablation. Tubes were clear.
    1/5/2016 : DH sperm analysis is excellent.
    February: Switched to a new RE
    Two failed clomid rounds
    March 2016: New HSG and found tubes are open
    April 2016: Round one Letrozole 2.5 mg. Ultrasounds day 13 &16. No follicle grouth
    May 2016: Had to take a month off
    June 9th 2016: Started Letrozole again but at 5mg
    July 5th: bfp beta 31
    July 7th: Beta 97
    July 9th: Beta 231
    July 11th: Beta 500
    July 13: Beta 1400
    Beautiful son born 3/16/17 @ 1:38pm

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ninji15ninji15 member
    edited December 2015
    I have PCOS and successfully conceived on it after a long time trying. I have never spotted, but I was told that the Met can take 1 month to properly enter and regulate things. So you may be experiencing something very normal. I took 3 months to regulate as I had to continue to up my doses to get good results. I would make sure you talk to your doctor about continuing the Met through the first 12 weeks at least when you get your BFP. Don't lose hope on it, its rough but it is really really worth it. :) Sticky baby dust to you!
  • Options
    @ninji15 may I ask how long it took you to conceive with PCOS? I've struggled with it for about 15 years now since I was young and never had a regular cycle. In fact, my cycles stopped when I was about 15-16 and I've been on BC pills since then. Now trying to conceive for about a year now and going to have my 3rd iui soon. I've been told it's much harder to conceive with PCOS and it sometimes makes me lose hope. Hearing success stories brings hope back up. Congratulations to you btw! :smiley: 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• Options
    @tulips29 I'm in a similar boat as you. Was diagnosed with PCOS at 19 and was on birth control until ttc. Though I personally have not gotten pregnant yet (just had my fourth IUI yesterday), I know that lots of people still get pregnant with PCOS. My mom is one of them - she did IVF in the early 90s. I also know that if you end up progressing to IVF, sometimes PCOS can be a good thing because you have the potential to create many good follicles for retrieval. I have my FX for you for this next IUI! Having PCOS may make it harder for you to get pregnant naturally, but with a little medical help it's definitely possible!
  • Options
    @tulips29 it took me 1 and a half years. 1 year trying with just adjusting my diet and exercising. On the metformin it took me 6 months to get everything leveled out. :) I was about to try clomid, then IVF next. But then my period was late.. And I had thought it was me.. But nope!

I have known and dealt with PCOS since I was 14-15 years old, I have always been heavier set, no periods, facial hair, and had acne.. all the signes of it. So it was an easy diagnosis for the doctors really. I was put on birth control pretty immediately. I went off of it at 21 and am 23 now. Metformin is really a miracle drug for me.

Thank you for the congrats, I know you can do it too, just don't give up and get the right dosage for you. I know its though, message me anytime with questions. You got this.
  • Options
    @pamelated @ninji15 thank you ladies! Your words of encouragement are appreciated. I'm going in for my iui this morning, so need all the FX I can get! I've been on meteformin for about a month now and hoping it will help me as well. xoxo :smile: 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• Options
    @pamelated you are indeed right I have been disgnosed with pcos from I was 12 and been on and off bc from then. Actually it worked well in my favor when I wasn't trying to conceive it was awesome at the time. Now since 2009 I've been ttc had 4 failed iui then in August I went for ivf and it was a good outcome I ended up with 39 embryos 28 fertilized and 23 made it to day 5. I put one in and got a bfp but miscarried at 6 was. I was happy despite the outcome cause I've never seen a bfp before plus I didn't think it was possible. Pcos has its pros and cons. It's jus that's it overbearing when you want something so bad and it's out of our control.
  • Options
    @tulips29 wish you all the best and I pray that we all will get our bfp.